Sign in to follow this  
flyer767

MD 11 Steering Problem

I can taxi the MD 11 out to the runway and takeoff. When I arrive at the destination and want to exit the taxiway the nosewheel steering will not allow me to steer the aircraft on to the taxiway. The MD 11 moves back and forth left to right. Any help would be appreciated.ThanksDon

HiTry to disconnect Autopilot, it looks like AP is still engaged.Has

I can taxi the MD 11 out to the runway and takeoff. When I arrive at the destination and want to exit the taxiway the nosewheel steering will not allow me to steer the aircraft on to the taxiway. The MD 11 moves back and forth left to right. Any help would be appreciated.ThanksDon

HiTry to disconnect Autopilot, it looks like AP is still engaged.Has
Just to add to his post a bit, when you use autoland it uses the rudder to keep the aircraft on the centerline of the runway, when you don't disconnect it before turning off the runway it is trying to align you with the centerline still. So pretty much, you and the autopilot are fighting for control of the aircraft.James

So pretty much, you and the autopilot are fighting for control of the aircraft.
Not really...I was able to reproduce the above mentioned behaviour.Lets say, i forget to switch off the autopilot and move the controls just a bit to turn off the runway, and THEN realize "ahhh ok, the autopilot must be switched off" well...thats already too late !! Although the plane lets you steer off the runway with now definately **switched off** Autopilot, the front wheel STILL starts a kind of dance !! I assume the offset, that you will produce while switching off the autopilot when already out of centerline will KEEP its data for further taxiing, in other words: Switching off the autopilot BEFORE moving out to left or right is the only way to prevent this. Looks like a ...bug? At least, in terms of a logical understanding, there should be back normal behaviour after switching off the A/P and the front gear should be going straight when Joystick is on center.You can reproduce it with interesting results: Go out of the runway to the left, then switch off the A/P and make a 180