Sign in to follow this  
Guest ND6849C

FSX Standard Tweak Needed

Guest ND6849C

After recently trying to resolve ATC problems, I wound up losing all my FSX stuff, and am now starting out with a fresh install. I need some tweaks and suggestions to get things running smoothly on my system. Before I go into details, I need to mention that what I have is all that I have, so I'd like help in making what I've got work, I have no resources to upgrade any hardware.My computer is an Insignia D400 Pentium 4 (Intel 82845GVSR Motherboard), 2.8ghz, 1 gig RAM, Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (latest updates),1 gig hard drive with plenty of space left, using a 256MB ATI Radeon 9250 video card, RealTek AC97 onboard sound, FSX Standard. I did update to FSX SP1. I'd like the tweaks to be system specific so I can get the best performance and FPS I can get. Should I go to FSX SP2, etc.?I appreciate the help.Tweak me, please.

Guest sillyeagle

Add these two lines to the Terrain section of your fsx.cfg file, and then set your autogen slider to normal or dense autogen.[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700This one can help with stutters, which sets a 10MB buffer pool. With such a weak video card you may not get results, but give it a try. You need to add this section, as its not there by default. [bUFFERPOOLS]PoolSize=10000000Try this one to help with terrain texture loading. [DISPLAY]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70I would add them one at a time, so if one causes a problem you know which one it was. I've never tweaked a P4 system, but based on my AthlonXP, Core2 duo, Core2 quad, and i7 experience, these should work pretty good.

After recently trying to resolve ATC problems, I wound up losing all my FSX stuff, and am now starting out with a fresh install. I need some tweaks and suggestions to get things running smoothly on my system. Before I go into details, I need to mention that what I have is all that I have, so I'd like help in making what I've got work, I have no resources to upgrade any hardware.My computer is an Insignia D400 Pentium 4 (Intel 82845GVSR Motherboard), 2.8ghz, 1 gig RAM, Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (latest updates),1 gig hard drive with plenty of space left, using a 256MB ATI Radeon 9250 video card, RealTek AC97 onboard sound, FSX Standard. I did update to FSX SP1. I'd like the tweaks to be system specific so I can get the best performance and FPS I can get. Should I go to FSX SP2, etc.?I appreciate the help.Tweak me, please.
Yes, do go to SP2. It has performance enhancements.You've got a system that is actually better suited for FS9 than FSX, but to get FSX to run half ways OK, you'll have to run with reduced settings..Turn all traffic and autogen off, water to 1X, shadows and bloom off, and try to work your way up from there. Also try the fps limiter application and FSX set to unlimited fps.The thing with FSX is, is that indeed it is system specific... Best to start with settings that give you good performance and then slowly add scenery complexity etc..At some point, the performance will suffer and you've got to cut back until things are OK again. eg. Traffic can quickly push you over the edge..BTW.. you did not really mean 1 Gig hard drive, did you?

Bert

BTW.. you did not really mean 1 Gig hard drive, did you?
.....and how do you get by with only a gig of ram???

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I hope not, as the vanilla FSX install uses well over 14 gigs. :( Scott

Guest ND6849C
Sorry, make that a 111 gig drive.
Also try the fps limiter application and FSX set to unlimited fps.
What FPS limiter app? I've never heard of it before.