Sign in to follow this  
nillefix

Buying advice

Hi, I'm having trouble motivating myself into buying the MD-11(for FS9), since I'm already flying the 744 and a certain 767. Wouldn't it be just adding another heavy. Do I want to dive into another 900+ pages manual(sure, I'm unemployed at the moment and my wife thinks I must have something to do besides looking for a new job. :( ) I have read many reviews and one word comes to mind, spectacular!Oh, what the heck, I'll probably end up buying it anyway!Best regards/Niclas

It is a VERY different airplane than the Boeings - to me that's what it gets you, something that isn't what you're used to as far as the systems methodology etc...Btw, why does everyone think planes in FS can only be used on the types of routes they are in real life? I fly the 744 and MD-11 on tons of short flights - it's really no different than using a 737 or A320 as long as the runway can support it... Part of what's cool about a simulator is that you can do things like this that might not happen in the real world.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Btw, why does everyone think planes in FS can only be used on the types of routes they are in real life? I fly the 744 and MD-11 on tons of short flights - it's really no different than using a 737 or A320 as long as the runway can support it... Part of what's cool about a simulator is that you can do things like this that might not happen in the real world.
Exactly, I really don't understand this. I fly what I want, where I want and I've never had any problems with FAA, CAA, etc. Probably because it's just a sim :( No offence intended to anyone who likes to simulate something 100%, ie A/C, carrier, route, etc - but you don't have to. If I want to fly a LOT MD-11 from Glasgow to Frankfurt - I just can :(Back to the OPs point though. I recommend this aircraft. I also have the 744 and LDS 763 and enjoy the challenge of the Douglas approach. Rather like PC/Mac in a way.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Even though it is technically a Boeing these days, the MD-11 design philosophy means it is as different to the B747 as a B737 is to an A320, so you would certainly not just be 'adding another heavy'.You should be aware that this means you'll be in for a bit of study if you are used to Boeings, in the same way as you would when switching from an Airbus to a Boeing. If you like a challenge, then that's what faces you, but as you say, when you are unemployed, you need something to keep the cogs turning in your brain, and the MD-11 manual will certainly do that, so there's some motivation for you.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Def buy it. I just purchased it the other day. It is different than the 747, but if you'r comfortable with the 747, you'll be up and running with the MD-11 in no time. The FMS works almost the same way but getting it configured for takeoff is a little different. Oh yeah,...and I find the MD-11 to be smoother on my computer than the queen for some reason.

have my advise too:BUY IT TODAY!you won't regret it. the manuals are very nice, as ususal with PMDG, and much fun to study them..just be one more happy MD11 driver. :(

Daniel

Daniel Bucher, Switzerland

i7 875K / GA-P55A-UD3 / 8GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Dominator / 150GB WD Raptor / ATI Radeon 5770 / Matrox TH2Go digital

TrackIR 4pro / Saitek X52 / CH Pedals

W7 64

FSX.2 ACC / FS9.1

Oh yeah, I bought it, but there wasn't a 900+ pages manual, there was a 1500+ pages manual! Cool, can't complain that I have nothing to do now :( !Thanks for the many advices! I asked at the right place apparently! :( Best regards/Niclas

Guest Mower

The MD-11 is using all the latest pc technology. Looks much better inside and out than that certain 767 we have all spent time with. The MD-11 is alos getting better FPS than the 744 by far.

I love the MD-11 too but at least the 767 has an SDK so I can connect my hardware like the VRinsight MCP to it.

Cheers, Andy.

Btw, why does everyone think planes in FS can only be used on the types of routes they are in real life? I fly the 744 and MD-11 on tons of short flights - it's really no different than using a 737 or A320 as long as the runway can support it... Part of what's cool about a simulator is that you can do things like this that might not happen in the real world.
Hi RyanWhat you say is true.One thing some (myself included but not everyone) harcore simmers find flying short haul in a heavy does not have the same challenge planning wise. Think of it - you always have excess thrust available as fuel loads are light and performance is almost never a factor.Another thing is that some of the more challenging smaller airports which IRL are available to midrange jets are not always available for the heavies. Those are the ones I for one enjoy flying into the most.-kyle

Exactly, I really don't understand this. I fly what I want, where I want and I've never had any problems with FAA, CAA, etc. Probably because it's just a sim :( No offence intended to anyone who likes to simulate something 100%, ie A/C, carrier, route, etc - but you don't have to. If I want to fly a LOT MD-11 from Glasgow to Frankfurt - I just can :(Back to the OPs point though. I recommend this aircraft. I also have the 744 and LDS 763 and enjoy the challenge of the Douglas approach. Rather like PC/Mac in a way.
For a few weeks now I've almost only been flying (whenever I fly the MD-11) from LFPG to EDDF, which is even shorter than Glasgow to Frankfurt. Funny thing is it IS a real life flight! :( But even this one sometimes is too long for me (cruising for half an hour...!), so sometimes I do even smaller hops that hardly require any cruising at all. I don't care because I like to get the plane ready from dark and cold, I like to take off and I like to land. Cruising is way to boring for me... ;) (Whenever I fly from LFPG to EDDF I usually read a book during cruise: I don't like to use time accel...)Anyway, I also like the fact you can do whatever you want to with FSX! I've 'flown' with various Boeings in the past, but I can't remember doing a flight that was longer than an hour or so. Still... I have to admit that somehow it's nice to do a real life flight like LFPG-EDDF... it adds something extra...! :( (Other flights I do are EDDF-LFPG, EGSS-LFPG, LFPG-EGSS and EDDF-LIMC: these are all real life FedEx flights (so I also use the FedEx livery). Anyone knows some more short real life flights fopr the MD-11?)

FDX uses the MD11 on quite a few US city pairs such as KMEM-KSLC, KMEM-KEWR, etc... look in flightaware and list active flights by aircraft flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

For a few weeks now I've almost only been flying (whenever I fly the MD-11) from LFPG to EDDF, which is even shorter than Glasgow to Frankfurt. Funny thing is it IS a real life flight! :( But even this one sometimes is too long for me (cruising for half an hour...!), so sometimes I do even smaller hops that hardly require any cruising at all. I don't care because I like to get the plane ready from dark and cold, I like to take off and I like to land. Cruising is way to boring for me... ;) (Whenever I fly from LFPG to EDDF I usually read a book during cruise: I don't like to use time accel...)Anyway, I also like the fact you can do whatever you want to with FSX! I've 'flown' with various Boeings in the past, but I can't remember doing a flight that was longer than an hour or so. Still... I have to admit that somehow it's nice to do a real life flight like LFPG-EDDF... it adds something extra...! :( (Other flights I do are EDDF-LFPG, EGSS-LFPG, LFPG-EGSS and EDDF-LIMC: these are all real life FedEx flights (so I also use the FedEx livery). Anyone knows some more short real life flights fopr the MD-11?)
Thats the main reason I have been only flying cargo with the heavy's, it opens up a lot of short haul routes to places you wouldn't fly to on the 744/MD11 in pax routes.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Mower

Just fired up the LDS 763 again and,man oh man, no comaprisojn to the much newer (program-wise) MD-11.The MD-11 is a must-buy.

You'll get a LOT more out of the MD11 than previous planes... the manual is HUGE but it really is a delight to hand fly, even if it's a job seeing over the panel lol.A real joy to fly and explore in my opinion and as difficult or easy as you wish.I flew quite a short one too - KOAK to KLAX and it will hand fly under the bridge: pretty sure doing that in real life would make for a VERY short career though lol.John E