Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuisFelizTirado

Favorite April Fools' Jokes

'Tis the season to be silly... but then again it's always silly season somewhere.Here are some April Fools' pranks that seem particularly interesting:1. The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest 1957: The respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied, "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best." 2. The Taco Liberty Bell 1996: The Taco Bell Corporation announced it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed, a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. The best line of the day came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale. Thinking on his feet, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold. It would now be known, he said, as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial. 3. Alabama Changes the Value of Pi 1998: The April 1998 issue of the New Mexicans for Science and Reason newsletter contained an article claiming that the Alabama state legislature had voted to change the value of the mathematical constant pi from 3.14159 to the 'Biblical value' of 3.0. Soon the article made its way onto the internet, and then it rapidly spread around the world, forwarded by email. It only became apparent how far the article had spread when the Alabama legislature began receiving hundreds of calls from people protesting the legislation. The original article, which was intended as a parody of legislative attempts to circumscribe the teaching of evolution, was written by physicist Mark Boslough. 4. The Left-Handed Whopper 1998: Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow-up release revealing that although the Left-Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version." 5. UFO Lands in London - Branson's UFO Balloon1989: On March 31, 1989 thousands of motorists driving on the highway outside London looked up in the air to see a glowing flying saucer descending on their city. Many of them pulled to the side of the road to watch the bizarre craft float through the air. The saucer finally landed in a field on the outskirts of London where local residents immediately called the police to warn them of an alien invasion. Soon the police arrived on the scene, and one brave officer approached the craft with his truncheon extended before him. When a door in the craft popped open, and a small, silver-suited figure emerged, the policeman ran in the opposite direction. The saucer turned out to be a hot-air balloon that had been specially built to look like a UFO by Richard Branson, the 36-year-old chairman of Virgin Records. The stunt combined his passion for ballooning with his love of pranks. His plan was to land the craft in London's Hyde Park on April 1. Unfortunately, the wind blew him off course, and he was forced to land a day early in the wrong location. 6. The Body of Nessie Found 1972: On March 31 1972, a team of zoologists from Yorkshire's Flamingo Park Zoo, who were at Loch Ness searching for proof of Nessie's existence, found a mysterious carcass floating in the Loch. Initial reports claimed it weighed a ton and a half and was 15

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey, I had a Gremlin. The V-8 powered ones were extremely impressive in the muscle car era. Plus, no self respecting police officer ever thought one could break the speed limit. How utterly wrong they were. When I sold mine, I had nearly 200,000 miles on it. Not bad for paying less than $2,400.00 new.Doc Bryant

A V-8 powered Gremlin? No, Doc, you can't fool me! Try telling me some other day, not April 1st!Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:Read it and weep..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Gremlin, right hand side, engine listing. 302 V8 5.0 liter engine. 1972All Gremlins received a new body-colored front fascia treatment for 1972. There were a host of other changes, not the least of which was an available 304 cu in (5 L) V8 engine. Engine ratings were downgraded to more accurate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) net hp figures, bringing the 232 cu in (3.8 L) engine to 100 hp (75 kW), the 258 cu in (4.2 L) to 110 hp (82 kW), and the 304 V8 to 150 hp (112 kW).And a Gremlin X page! http://www.gremlinx.com/Doc BryantPS My April Fool's gag came this morning. My hot water heater expired...in the leaking sort of way.

That must have been some hot rod! Where could they fit such a large engine in such a small car? I always enjoyed looking at the Gremlin, and, truth be told, prefer very small cars - think Mini Cooper, the original model racing up and down the icy slopes of the Esterel in the Monte Carlo Rally with its bonnet (in the rear) open so as to better cool the engine!Best regards.Luis

It fit quite handily. There were even some folks who later put a AMC 360 engine in them. Yes the car was a bit nose heavy. It did handle rather funny on snow and ice. I drove mine in Northern Arizona one winter while attending graduate school at Flagstaff. The regular engines were straight six engines, so the V8 was shorter in length but wider of course.I replaced the small tires with double oversize tires. That made it handle far better. The electrical system was awful. Or perhaps it was my wiring, installing two radio transceivers and a FM scanning receiver in addition to the better stereo. I also had a enormous pair of Marchal pencil beam driving lights on the front bumper. They were probably the best set of driving lights I ever had for lighting up the lonely desert highways at night. KC Daylighters (made in nearby Williams, Arizona) were not half as good.Doc Bryant