Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

** How Much have you spent on MSFS2002? **

Hi All,I was reading another thread about payware vs. freeware, and I don't want to go down that road, so please don't take us there. :-)I am honestly curious as to how much people have spent on this hobby since they bought MSFS2002.I have purchased the following:MSFS2002 Pro $30 (waited 2 months after it came out)1 GeForce 2 Pro 64mb Vid Card $90 (I may have bought before MSFS, I'm not sure.)1 FSD Commander 115TC $20? I think1 Dreamfleet Cessna Cardinal $22.951 Yoke, & Rudder pedals $149.95?1 Pedstal Cockpit built from scratch $12.47 (Home depot Rocks)_________________________________________That comes to a total of about $325.37 Give or take. Say I am wrong, and bump it to $350 to even it out.I am willing to state I am probably on the LOW scale of what people spend. So let's have it. 1) How much have you spent?2) Are you addicted to paying for add-ons?Regards,Joe**********************Politics, Religion, World & Current Events Forumhttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath**********************

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest ba747heavy

Me, well:$40 Ready For Pushback 747-200$40 PSS A320 and Dash 8EDITOh by the way, I forgot:$350 Ti4600$80 CD RW Drive$100 Monitor$20 DVI/VGA adapter$120 for 512 MB PC2100$80 AK35GT2 mobo$30 M$ Joystick$120 XP 1700+My HDD and soundcard I already had. I built this system for FS. :-) Not much these days, but it was something then. Prices are estimated.Thats it :) I have some other addons, but they were for FS2k

Guest Maul

Sounds like fun, let me try:$80 - FS2002$30 - Dreamfleet 737-400$30 - FSMeteo 5.1$42 - Radar Contact 3.0$25 - Iron Knuckles DC-9$15 - FlyTampa$15 - PSS Dash 8$15 - Flightcraft Lear 35$35 - FS Navigator 4.0$30 - FS Scene ground textures$30 - Perfectflight's Delta Flight Operations (A mistake)$30 - Simflyers Philadelphia & Orlando Scenery$30 - FSSE Scenery Enhancer, FSAssistAll in all, a good $407. Wow, I wish I could do something like this for my ex-girlfriend :-roll, that'd be too much!EricP.S.: Forgot about the little thing below, that's a nice chunk of change that I really don't want to talk about...:-grnmdArea51 (When It Arrives...)Intel

$50 bucks for the game thats it. If im gonna buy anything for flight simming it will be actual flying lessons. There is so much free quality aircraft here already. As far as hardware, joysticks etc. I have owned that stuff before the game was released, so i dont count that as spending $$ on FS2K2. But time is money, if i could make a dime for every hour i played this sim, i would be rich! :D

Guest seev_39

Here is my financial record;One nice winter morning I went with my lady to buy her "a something" (don't remember what) in our local mole. While she was looking for "her" thing I entered the "Office Depo" shop, If I still remember correctly I needed a pack of floppy disks or such. And then, I saw this $50 MS FLIGHT SIMULATOR. I picked it up, looked around to see if nobody was smilling (I am 64, an age you are not supposed to buy "Games"). No one was watching, my lady was somewhere else, and since we have two credit cards (one account though) I just bought it.Now, after a few years, I spend about 4 hours a day at this wonderful hobby, and our saving account is short with several thousand dollars. Among that;1. Software (mainly scenery and aircraft) - $600 and more.2. New PC - every 2-3 years, updating due to new technologies - $2,5003. Annual PC upgrading (every year, or so, a new video card and additional RAM.) - $5004. Litrature and magazines - $100 a year.5. My home built cockpit, an ongoing project - $2,000 sofar.The best thing my friends: Lady is happy, because we save on beers. etc. No time for that.And besides, this hobby keeps my grey cells working. All the new technologies and never ending learning involved.Have fun guys. Seev

Guest gasebah

Let me put it this way: When you are still able to make a detailed list of what you spent I think you are o.k. and have not spent too much. If I would have to make that list, it would take me hours to put the stuff together I still remember, let alone all the stuff I bought used once or twice and then forgot about. Sim related hardware alone should be well over 3000 US$ in my case.Alex

First let's talk about time.....Until early 99, I spent much of my time at work (airline commercial and marketing), some sport, (decent???) parties at the local pub and of course with my beautiful wife.Until she had THE IDEA !!!!! Knowing that I was a passionate of airlines and airplanes, she offered me FS98 (a gift that she hardly regrets now....smile).From the begining, I became fascinated by Flight simulation.Since then, after lot's of airplane and PC crashes, I moved to FS2K2 which gave the game an even more fascinating dimension.Result: I spend now an average 2H 1/2 per day with FS2002. I would say that I spend as much time to document myself on system enhancements and performance, FS tricks, playing with FS/PC settings, installing drivers than flying by itself, even if fly at least once daily (average 1 1/2 flight). To make it worse (smile), I became a paranoiac on frame rates....and I do whatever I need (and pay for it...) to keep a minimum 15FPS-20 in all circumstances (in heavy sceneries and max ATC). My favorite aircrafts: Project Fokker 10070 (those are really great), EW Pro fleet, PSSA320 and my big love DF734..... My next FS dream: Ultimate traffic and FS2004!Regarding money, I try not to count, but since the move to FS2K2 forced me to puchase a new PC (P4), a new graphic card (TI4400), additional ram (768MB) in order to keep my graphics high and my frame rates low...I spent around US$2000 on hardware since last year, in additional to a substantial amount of addon sceneries (all major european airports), utilities (myTrafic) for a total of around USD750, plus the old expenses for FS98, the total spent should be around US$4000.00. But the pleasure I got from this expensive has no price, I ever wanted to be a pilot, and now, in a way, I can fly....A new element in my life has changed the priorities since last year, I am a new father of a sweet little boy (15mths) and I keep spending much of my time with him now...However, sorry for my wife, I promess he will learn to fly soon..smile..Cheers,Patrick Geneva

Snap !Basically, if I want something I buy it. Most recent purchases have been payware planes, but rather than itemize everything, here's a general breakdown:Feb '02 - new PC specifically for FS2002FS2002Just about everything by DreamFleetDitto FSDMost of Bill Lyons' stuffFlight1 GA planesSF260MAAM R4D and B-25B314 ClipperComplete set of Lago TerraMeshAll Georender sceneryAll UK-VFR sceneryAll UK2000 sceneryMost FSGenesis meshMost SimFlyers sceneryFSMeteoFSNavigatoretc. etc.I hate to think what that all comes to, but with two exceptions (not mentioned above) I haven't regretted any purchases.OK, I'm lucky that I'm employed, single, and whilst not wealthy, earn enough not to have to pick and choose based on economic factors.

Hi!I spend us$ 34.99 for a Mapserver membership and here is what I got so far - with my membership vailid for 8 more months:SRTM - Mexico 2 arc/sec - 76.4m MeshSRTM - Caribbean 2 arc/sec - 76.4m MeshSRTM - Canada 2 arc/sec - 76.4mGaia Mesh CanadaGaia Mesh Spain - Portugal MororoccoGaia Mesh Switz. Germany - Aut. Czeck.Rep.Gaia Mesh FranceGaia Mesh ItalyGaia Mesh UKGaia Mesh Eastern EuropeGaia Mesh New ZealandGaia Mesh ScandinaviaGaia Mesh MaleisyaGaia Mesh Greece - Turkey - Middle East AVAILABLEGaia Mesh South Africa AVAILABLEGaia Mesh Indonesia Philippines - Papua - SolomonGaia Mesh Central AmericaWest Bank N. Israel 30 m USGS 10 m Los AngelesUSGS 10 m S. Francisco- S. RosaUSGS 10 m Bryce CanyonUSGS 10 m Yellowstone Nat. Park USGS 10 m Reno - Lake Tahoe USGS 10 m GuamUSGS 10 m Grand Canyon EUSGS 10 m Hawaii USGS Seattle Area 10 m USGS Alaska 38.2 mUSGS Puerto Rico Virgin Isl. 20 m West Bank N. Israel 38 mSingapore Forever V.1Land Class - MexicoLand Class - CaribbeanLand Class - South Africa - Namibia - BotswanaLand Class -GreenlandLand Class - JapanLand Class - Spain - PortugalLand Class - Scandinavia - BalticLand Class -Greece - BalcansLand Class - AlaskaLand Class - CanadaLand Class - FranceLand Class - GermanyLand Class - ItalyLand Class - AlaskaLand Class - Indonesia - Papua - Philippines - SolomonGmax San Franscisco:-ukliam

I see lots of lists, but add up the costs too folks. :-)The road to recovery includes acknowledging your costs. ;-)Think of this as therapy. It is amazing what we spend on hobbies. I can tell you with all honesty, I'm not so sure my wife wouldn't prefer me going bar-hopping instead of the computer, and simming.Great Job folks,JoeI know there are many more of you out there.Politics, Religion, World & Current Events Forumhttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath

(Stands up slowly - been sitting down too long)"My name is Alastair, and I'm a Simmaholic""Its been 16 hours since I last flew"(Sits down and reaches for a Yoke and Pedals that aren't there)

Guest drobson

Joe,If I knew how much I've spent, I would certainly list it. However, even though I have a good, strong, heart and am in pretty good overall health, it may cause a heart attack if I knew the actual total! :-)Just looking around the room, I see 3 joysticks, 2 CH yokes-1 gameport-1 USB, CH gameport pedals, a USB hub to run all of these toys. Two 19" monitors, a headset/mike, several software boxes---PIC767, Airport 2000, Volumes 1, 2, and 3. Abacus Private Pilot, Corporate Pilot. Fly2K, Falcon 4.0., Combat Sim 1 & 2. (That's just the stuff I see on the shelves. If I looked in some cabinets, I'm sure I'd find more).I also have, in download versions:DF 737, Archer, Cardinal, FSDs Commander, Seneca, Cheyenne, and Cub.I have absolutely no idea of the cost, but I know it would be scary to know.For the others: The secret to all of this is---Separate checking accounts, and separate credit cards. ;-) My lovely wife and I have a very good arrangement. I don't care what she buys, and she doesn't care what I buy. Works GREAT!Darrell

Alastair,You just had me rolling on that one, I literally almost spit out my coffee.Why, you ask?As soon as you sadi simaholic, the word bisimual popped into my head and the huge thread I had on that one. I'm not sure if you remember that or not. It had to do with those of us who owned MSFS2002 & FlyII, and used them both.I kind of coined that term, (bisimual), and it still applies. I like both sims. :-)Anyway, thanks for the chuckle.Regards,JoePolitics, Religion, World & Current Events Forumhttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath

Guest SoarPics

LOL... if I added it all up it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. And that's why I sim.

Guest rbbarker

$80-FS2002$30-Dreamfleet 737-400$150-CH FLight Sim Yoke USB$150-CH Pro Pedals USB$90-CH Pro Throttle USB (eBay)$50-17" NEC Monitor (eBay)free-15" Compaq Monitor (scrapped from work)$15-ActiveSky wxRE (earlier release)$5-C172 checklist$35-Rod Machado's Private Pilot HandbookTOTAL=$605Boyd BarkerSenior Command CaptainKBOS Hub ManagerWestWind Airlineshttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/DFexperience.jpghttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/checklist.html