Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Can this be done?

Quick question for anyone who might happen to know:Is there a way to get the default FS DC-3 model (either FS9 or FSX) into FSDS so that I can tweak the shape of the model? I presume I'd need something to reverse convert the mdl file to a format suitable to put in FSDS.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Quick question for anyone who might happen to know:Is there a way to get the default FS DC-3 model (either FS9 or FSX) into FSDS so that I can tweak the shape of the model? I presume I'd need something to reverse convert the mdl file to a format suitable to put in FSDS.Al
I reality no, unless you have access to the source code of the model.

Model files for the DC-3 in FSX is available from within the FSX SDK.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ooh, never thought to look there (silly me). Thanks for that. Al

Alan Bradbury

Nope, installed the SDK off the disk and there's no DC-3 to be found.Al

Alan Bradbury

A .gmax version of the SDK's .max model file is available from Freeflight Design:http://www.aerodynamika.com/aircraft/gMax_Douglas_DC3.ziphttp://www.aerodynamika.com/aircraft/Max_to_GMax_FSX.pdfThe SDK's .max source file is available only if you have SDK SP1a or SP2/Acceleration installed:E:\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\samples\Douglas_DC3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yup, that was my next plan, I was kind of hoping it would be in the SDK service pack.Thanks for the help people. Going to try and do a conversion on the DC-3 to create a Basler BT-67 stretched Turbo version, in case anyone was curious what I'm up to.EDIT: Found it in the SP1 version of the SDK, but unfortunately it's a 3DSMax file and not a GMax one and I'm too poor to have 3DSMax at home LOL - I guess I'll have to open it at work on one of their copies and save it out in a format I can use. Anyway, thanks for helping me to locate it guys.Al

Alan Bradbury

EDIT: Found it in the SP1 version of the SDK, but unfortunately it's a 3DSMax file and not a GMax one and I'm too poor to have 3DSMax at home LOL - I guess I'll have to open it at work on one of their copies and save it out in a format I can use. Anyway, thanks for helping me to locate it guys.
Did you not check out the link I provided for a GMAX version of the DC-3? GMax is free, so either do your work in GMax, or use the available conversion tools to convert the .gmax model to .fsc format.

Fr. Bill    

Yup, I noticed the links, thanks for those. I'm just weighing up whether to do it in GMax or 3Ds.Al

Alan Bradbury

Yup, I noticed the links, thanks for those. I'm just weighing up whether to do it in GMax or 3Ds.Al
Well, unless you own Max7/8/9 yourself, or plan to do all your modeling at work, GMax seems to be about the only option... :(

Fr. Bill    

I don't own the latest 3DS Max personally, but I work for a computer training company and do use it to train people when there, so I could use one of their copies at work on a day when I am not training. But to be honest, I'm probably more likely to just use GMax at home in my own time.Al

Alan Bradbury

Just a quick thank you to all who helped to point me at where to find the DC-3 model so I could mess about with it, especially n4gix, much appreciated. The modification to make the turbo-engined Basler BT-67 is in progress now.Just done the change to the wing and aileron profiles, added the 40 inch stretch to the fuselage and repositioned the propeller hubs to their new location. Still need to make the engine cowlings for the PT6A turboprops, add three windows and change the cargo door though...The stretched DC-3 with reprofiled wingtips so far:BT-67.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Guest FelixFFDS

Looking nice.I did convert the DC-3 into FSDS but it's a pain in the seating area. You really are better off working it in gmax.!!(OF course, you could keep the original and "add" a pair of RR Darts (I think) and have the BEA Pioneer!!