Sign in to follow this  
Guest erahmig

Question about MAAM DC-3 cockpit sounds

Guest erahmig

Hi everyone,I recently discovered that some of the sounds that my MAAM DC-3 used to make whenever I would click a switch or knob no longer happen. Some sounds still work though, and I can't figure out why some do and some don't.Sounds that still work on the overhead electrical panel:

• lights switches in upper right (nav, beacon, landing, etc).
  • radio knobs (com1, com2, nav1, nav2, adf, etc.)
  • magneto levers
  • master ignition switch (between the magneto levers)

Sounds that no longer work on the overhead electrical panel:

• the entire long row of switches in the middle, i.e. generators, blowers, engine start (prime, vibe, etc.), fuel pumps
  • inverter switches (even though they don't have a function they used to make a 'click' when toggled)

Sounds that work in the 2D cockpit pilot-side panel:

• VOR1 OBS adjustment knob. Interestingly, if I switch to pilot's IFR view, then back to pilot's normal view, the VOR1 OBS adjustment now no longer makes any sound

Sounds that do not work in the 2D cockpit copilot-side panel:

• cowl flap switches
  • VOR2 OBS adjustment knob, although I can't remember whether this is supposed to make a sound or not :(

Has this ever happened to anyone before?Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks,Eric

Hi Eric,This sounds to me like some missing sound files.Have a look in your FS9\sound\MAAM-Sim folder for these 2 files:sw_3.wav is for the cowl flaps.sw_1.wav is for all the other switches you mentioned except the OBS knobs which have no sound associated with them.If they are missing you will have to run the installation exe into a temporary location and copy them over into FS.CheersFred

Guest erahmig
Hi Eric,This sounds to me like some missing sound files.Have a look in your FS9\sound\MAAM-Sim folder for these 2 files:sw_3.wav is for the cowl flaps.sw_1.wav is for all the other switches you mentioned except the OBS knobs which have no sound associated with them.If they are missing you will have to run the installation exe into a temporary location and copy them over into FS.CheersFred
Hi Fred,I don't have a MAAM-Sim folder in my Flight Simulator 9\Sound folder. I'm sure it didn't magically disappear, so for some strange reason I must have deleted it during a fit of irrationalality :( .I will try your suggestion.Thanks for your help.Eric

Guest erahmig

Hi Fred,I tried your suggestion and ran the installer from the CD (called R4DC3FS9.EXE) into a temporary directory and then looked at the files that were installed.These are the only files installed into the Sound directory:BT_roll.wavBT_roll1.wavBT_roll2.wavBT_roll3.wavbt_touch1.wavbt_touch2.wavbt_touch3.wavbt_touch4.wavbt_touch5.wavbt_touch6.wavbt_touch7.wavbt_touch8.wavThey are at the top level of the Sound directory, and no MAAM-Sim folder was created by the installer.I also looked through all the files installed by the installer, and there are no files called sw_1.wav or sw_3.wav anywhere in the directory structure created by the installer.In case it helps, I ordered my CD back in September, 2004. It's labelled "4th Edition."If you've any more suggestions, I'd be grateful.Thanks again,Eric

Sorry Eric, I'm losing it in my old age!Its been a few years since that release and I forgot that it was using the old fssound module so my previous advice does not apply.My new suggestion is to replace the gauge MAAM_R4D.gau from the installation exe, and the fssound.dll module as well if the gauge alone doesn't fix things.Fred

Guest erahmig

Hi Fred,Thanks, I will try replacing both MAAM_R4D.gau and fssound.dll and see what happens.Eric

Guest erahmig

Hi Fred,Good news ... I tried your suggestion and that seems to have fixed my problem. I now have all of the sounds back.Thanks very much for you help.On a different note (not a support request):I took this opportunity to order an updated MAAM-SIM DC3 CD (now up to the 9th edition I see).Does your original suggestion (regarding sw_1.wav and sw_3.wav) mean that the newer CD's don't use fssound.dll?If so, that would be great.I had been using a newer version of fssound.dll (1.6.0.15 I think) in an effort to work around the error message popup that the 1.5.0.2 version generates.On my particular PC the fs9.cfg trick with the [oldmodules] section caused other problems and so was not usable for me.Anyway, thanks again for helping me get my problem fixed.Eric

Hi Fred,Good news ... I tried your suggestion and that seems to have fixed my problem. I now have all of the sounds back.Thanks very much for you help.On a different note (not a support request):I took this opportunity to order an updated MAAM-SIM DC3 CD (now up to the 9th edition I see).Does your original suggestion (regarding sw_1.wav and sw_3.wav) mean that the newer CD's don't use fssound.dll?If so, that would be great.I had been using a newer version of fssound.dll (1.6.0.15 I think) in an effort to work around the error message popup that the 1.5.0.2 version generates.On my particular PC the fs9.cfg trick with the [oldmodules] section caused other problems and so was not usable for me.Anyway, thanks again for helping me get my problem fixed.Eric
Eric, I'm curious to what other problems the OLDMODULES trick caused for you. I've used that since I was knee high to a grasshopper on several installations and several computers and never had any issues. Can you pin it down for our reference? Thanks.Mark

Guest erahmig

Hi Mark,I can try the OLDMODULES fix again. It's been quite a while since I tried it, so my recollection may be a bit off.I seem to remember that after I had added the oldmodules section to my fs9.cfg file that my frame rates went south. Why this should happen I have no idea, as the two seem to me to be unrelated.My system is quite old, and it may be that there is something in my system configuration, unrelated to FS9, that causes this.I do know that if I omit the OLDMODULES section, and just deal with the popup message that FS9 displays, everything is fine. Although the popup message is annoying, I can live with it.Anyway, I will try it again and report back to you what happens. It might be a few days before I report back since Spring break is upon us and I will be competing for computer time with other family members who suddenly have more time on their hands :( .Eric

Does your original suggestion (regarding sw_1.wav and sw_3.wav) mean that the newer CD's don't use fssound.dll?
Unfortunately not Eric. The newer directx sound method only applies to the FSX update, which of course does not work in FS9.Anyway I'm glad you have your sound back, probably a corruption of the gauge file.Fred

Guest erahmig
Eric, I'm curious to what other problems the OLDMODULES trick caused for you. I've used that since I was knee high to a grasshopper on several installations and several computers and never had any issues. Can you pin it down for our reference? Thanks.Mark
Well Mark, you will now probably think I've lost my mind.I've flown two flights with the OLDMODULES section included in my FS9.CFG and I haven't had any problems.So, either my recollection is faulty (entirely possible) or I've just beaten on my system for so long that there is no longer a problem.I guess the only thing to do now is to quote Emily Litella from Saturday Night Live: "Nevermind".Thanks guys for your help.Eric