Sign in to follow this  
Guest treeman

Good Freeware Virtual Cockpits

Guest simmer9304

I've used FS9 for about a year and half now and read the forums here for that long and I mostly fly small GA no larger than a King Air. I have been looking for freeware aircraft with good virtual cockpits, I found the AFG King Air, the Nord 3202 by Andre Chancel, and many of Bill Lyon's aircraft and I spend most of my flying time in those. I'm not particularly interested in a cabin mainly just an accurate detailed cockpit. Are there any other freeware aircraft with good virtual cockpits?

The Piper Super Cub v.3 by J. E. Narcizo has a very lifelike VC, which can be further enhanced by Pierre Fasseaux's complimentary panel. That alternate panel arrangement is available here in the AVSIM library; the plane can be found at Flightsim.com, file name: pa18_v3.zip.John

Also, if you don't already have it, be sure to try the freeware Cessna 150L by Fravin available here: www.fs-tutorials.com/en/down_plane_C150_01.php John

Guest simmer9304

Thank you for the suggestion about the Super Cub I have been looking for a good FS9 default replacement. Yes I tried the Cessna 150 but its a terrible framerate killer on my machine.

Thumbs up on all the aircraft mentioned above.An excellent primary trainer is the Chipmunk by Rick Piper et al., available in the library.If you search for the name "Milton Shupe," you will find a varied range of superb GA aircraft, some of classic vintage. His Spartan (single) and Beech 18 (twin) are especially lovely. There's a great series of single-engine Zlin aircraft by Tibor Kokai in the library, ranging from basic trainers to some of the older acrobatic aircraft.One of the alltime FS classics is a Maule-7 package by Mikko Maliniemi, which I couldn't find just now in the Avsim library (withdrawn?), but which may be available elsewhere. Also available elsewhere is a lovely model by Goran Savic and Luka Midic of the UTVA 75, a low-wing primary trainer. All of these have exquisite virtual cockpits and represent FS modelling of the very highest order. There's lots more... keep looking around -- and when you start talking about biplanes, crop-dusters, historic planes, and ex-military models, you'll find that there's a treasure chest rich enough to keep a smile on your face for years. Bill

Guest belga1
Guest simmer9304

Thank you everybody for the ideas I can't wait until I get some time to fly so I can see all of these planes. I had completely forgotten about Milton Shupe's fine aircraft and I have his Beech 18 and now I can't wait to go fly it again. Some of the others are new to me and the trainers look very interesting. I am looking for more historic aircraft where you get all the knobs and levels in the cockpit instead of a couple glass screens. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Guest simmer9304

The BN-2 looks very good although it is slightly out of my range of how large I fly I may try it out and see how it works. The BN-3 would be a very interesting aircraft to fly with it's third engine mounted on the rudder. Thanks for the link!