Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

How to keep Alpha layers in PSP 7?

Guest Dominik Mann

Having downloaded the generic corporate repaints for the HJG Jetstar from the file library, I would like to customize these liveries to my personal taste by replacing the American registry on the outside of the engine nacelles by a German one, as well as swapping out the flag on the tail fin for the German flag. I first decompressed the files in question into 32-bit format using ImageTool, edited them in Paint Shop Pro 7, and then went back into ImageTool to re-compress them to DXT3 format. However, when I loaded up FS to check out my work, the nacelles would appear "chromed" instead of painted. Tracing back each step I made, I found that somewhere along the path the Alpha layers included in the texture files must have been lost, and I guess that was the reason why I would get the chromed engines.Could anybody familiar with PSP 7 tell me whether there is a work-around for this problem? Don't worry about copyrights, I won't upload these customized textures anywhere, they're for my personal use only!Thanks!

Guest danowat

Hi Dominik,The way I do it is to use DXTBMP and export the file as either a 24-bit targa file with alpha, in which case you can use PSP7 and its layers to work on the "paint" and alpha channel at the same time.Or I find it preferable to use DXTBMP and export 2 separate files, one for the paint and one for the alpha and work on them seperatly, then you can reimport them back in after you have finished.Hope this helps you someDan.

Guest Dominik Mann

Thanks, Dan, that tool was just what I needed! :D