Sign in to follow this  
chaddddddddddd

Jetstream Project

I had forgotten how attractive the Jetstream 41 was until I searched for photos. really looking forward to having a well simulated prop, alot to learn aswell so it presents a nice little learning package for a while. every new project deserves encouragement.john
Have to agree; I'd never paid much attention to them previously. United (forget which guise officially) still flies them out of my home apt (KSAN), and since reading of the PMDG 141 I seem to notice them overhead more and more often. May be the first time a sim has sparked my interest in an aircraft rather than the opposite!Dan

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Yeti have just (last year) begun a lease on some more Jetstreams (the type 41) from BAe, however, Yeti normally fly the Twin Otter, Dornier 228 or Pilatus Turbo Porter to Lukla (which then feed onto other types and other routes from larger airports such as Kathmandu), but even those smaller types have had problems with operating at Lukla; several Otters and 228s crashed on approach.That kind of points to Lukla being a little on the small side for the J41, given that it only has a 1,600 ft runway which is over 9,000 feet above sea level. BAe normally recommend the J41 operates from runways of around 4,000 feet in length (the BAe crew training facility for them is just up the road from me at Woodford). Although a smaller runway by most international airport standards, 4,000 feet is still over twice the length of Lukla's runways even discounting the fact that Lukla is up at over 9,000 feet above sea level. You could of course scoot your aircraft off the edge of Lukla's runway and pick up airspeed on the drop when you take off (which is the great thing about FS, you can try that sort of thing with no risk - try it in a 737, it's a blast), but I imagine that's hardly something a real airline would risk unless the crew had a death wish or something, and certainly not something I'd want to do either as a pilot or a passenger in real life. The J41 lands at just under 100 knots, has a good flap system and pretty rugged construction, so I'm willing to bet the J41 could get in and out of Lukla, but I'm not convinced you could do it in all weathers, or safely, or with a useful load on board. But without having to worry about tyre wear, brake wear, damage or danger, I bet it would be relatively easy in FS.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yeti have just (last year) begun a lease on some more Jetstreams (the type 41) from BAe, however, Yeti normally fly the Twin Otter, Dornier 228 or Pilatus Turbo Porter to Lukla (which then feed onto other types and other routes from larger airports such as Kathmandu), but even those smaller types have had problems with operating at Lukla; several Otters and 228s crashed on approach.That kind of points to Lukla being a little on the small side for the J41, given that it only has a 1,600 ft runway which is over 9,000 feet above sea level. BAe normally recommend the J41 operates from runways of around 4,000 feet in length (the BAe crew training facility for them is just up the road from me at Woodford). Although a smaller runway by most international airport standards, 4,000 feet is still over twice the length of Lukla's runways even discounting the fact that Lukla is up at over 9,000 feet above sea level. You could of course scoot your aircraft off the edge of Lukla's runway and pick up airspeed on the drop when you take off (which is the great thing about FS, you can try that sort of thing with no risk - try it in a 737, it's a blast), but I imagine that's hardly something a real airline would risk unless the crew had a death wish or something, and certainly not something I'd want to do either as a pilot or a passenger in real life. The J41 lands at just under 100 knots, has a good flap system and pretty rugged construction, so I'm willing to bet the J41 could get in and out of Lukla, but I'm not convinced you could do it in all weathers, or safely, or with a useful load on board. But without having to worry about tyre wear, brake wear, damage or danger, I bet it would be relatively easy in FS.Al
Dont forget that its a dirt runway and changes almost all techniques.

I don't think any U.S. operators still fly it.-Alex
You're right! On my way in today I noted what I assume must be the same js41 parked near the old JimsAir location at SAN. Guess I'm getting lazy and was thinking j41 as UAL's e120's depart overhead... :( Now I need to drive by at lunch to see if it really is a j41 parked on the ramp....Dan

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Guest 413X3
The point should be obvious - no developer repeats the same product over and over again, sorry can't compare B1900 to 737NG they have completely different traction/status in the marketplace, they generate vastly different funds.
so then your "obvious" point should have had nothing to do with whether they made it or not in fs9, the point should be the popularity of the airplane they are thinking of re-doing. funny though as the 1900c/d is still flying strong in every continent, but the js41 should be made instead? sounds to me like you are merely justifying your love for the airplane, not whether or not redoing a 1900 would sell more copies than an old and average airplane that never had a popular following

Looking forward to the J41 anyway :( I think it'll make a change to fly a proper turboprop....John Ellison
There is ONE other "proper" turboprop for FSX that I have and love to fly, the Flight1 ATR, howevereven it has a few small issues. I'm expecting even better out of the J41 of course :)We're nearing mid-April, I'm waiting with baited breath for more info guys!!Cheers,

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

so then your "obvious" point should have had nothing to do with whether they made it or not in fs9, the point should be the popularity of the airplane they are thinking of re-doing. funny though as the 1900c/d is still flying strong in every continent, but the js41 should be made instead? sounds to me like you are merely justifying your love for the airplane, not whether or not redoing a 1900 would sell more copies than an old and average airplane that never had a popular following
Maybe they're just into rare birds now? The MD-11 is exceptional and not as common as its competitors (even when it was still being manufactured). The Jetstreams are also different and the J31/32 has "hung in there" as well.Look at it this way, if you are going to spend hundreds (thousands perhaps) of hours making an airplane, maybe you'd want to be somehow attached to it. I think we have access to Robert's expertise on the aircraft and that'll make it fun. On a personal note, I am actually VERY happy as I do love the J31/32/41 series. I hope they consider doing the J31/32 even though it is another beast entirely. As to sales... PMDG is top quality and the market will snap up just about anything they do. Folks are snapping up the work of lesser developers just to have something new.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

You constantly seem to be missing the point, perhaps deliberately?. It has nothing to do with how many aircraft are still flying in the real world, it has to do with what PMDG actually sells and where the demand for their products is and clearly demand for a well done 737 transcends all versions of FS. I have absolutely no stake in J41, suggesting even that somehow I love this aircraft and this drives my argument is plain ludicrous. If it was up to me I would rather have them do Socata TBM 850 (or Lear 85) - this is where I invested my love. :(

It is a fair point about the number of J41s flying in the world making it an unusual choice, after all, there are actually more DC-3s flying today than there are of all models of Jetstream - let alone the J41 variant - and that's an aircraft designed in the 1930s. However, it's neither fair nor accurate to describe the J41 as average airplane that never had a popular following. The main reason for the cessation of J41 production was the introduction of the ATR-42, which along with the Dash-8 was an event which also curtailed production of the Jetstream J61 (AKA the ATP). Oddly enough, the ATP was actually what I was hoping the 'mystery aircraft' might be. The makers of the ATR were of course a partner in the consortium which marketed the J41, so it was mostly a somewhat cutthroat business decision which ended J41 production, as opposed to a lack of popularity. In point of fact the J41 is actually quite in demand with operators, a state of affairs compounded by the limited numbers which are available. Airlines like it not just for its versatility, but also because the J41 is extremely popular with passengers, being blessed with a rather tall cabin for an aircraft in the 29-seater class, where normally things are a bit cramped, and happy passengers mean repeat business, and certainly less tea/coffee in your lap on a bumpy flight.Ironically enough, I'm in the fortunate position of my favourite turboprop airliner actually being the ATR, which is of course available in extreme detail for both FS9 and FSX (although I actually prefer the ATR-42 if I'm honest, but the 72 is close enough), so I can understand when people are a bit miffed that their own personal favourite has been passed over in favour of something a little more obscure. But with PMDG staff having excellent first-hand knowledge of the J41 and its operation, you have to say that there is little doubt we will get something that will be well worth having.Personally I think the B200 is an ugly aircraft, but that didn't stop me buying the Aeroworx version of it, because I can appreciate what an excellent simulation it is of an incredibly versatile aircraft, so I like it for that, even if I do think it has a face only a mother could love. Sometimes the flight sim aircraft you think you won't like turn out to be real gems, after all, how many people could truly say they were crying out for an MD-11? But look how popular that has proved with people; there were only 200 MD-11s built before production ceased, and there's a lot less than that number in service nowadays, but the PMDG version has sold like hot cakes.As someone pointed out, maybe PMDG are just into rare birds. I hope so comrades, maybe I'll get a Tu-204 for FSX after all... :( Best not hold my breath whilst waiting eh?Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm beginning to think I'm a wierdo. When I buy an FS aircraft I couldn't care less how many are used in the real world, nor who uses them and where they fly. I simply buy it if I like it. I have 4, PMDG B744 & MD-11, LDS B763 and SDS Yak40. Today I flew a KLM(NC) MD-11 from Paris to Heathrow as I didn't have much time. And guess what? I haven't been arrested :( It was a fun flight. But each to his own and good luck to you whatever you want to do :( So maybe I'll just try this JS41 if I like the look of it.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I'm beginning to think I'm a wierdo. When I buy an FS aircraft I couldn't care less how many are used in the real world, nor who uses them and where they fly. I simply buy it if I like it. I have 4, PMDG B744 & MD-11, LDS B763 and SDS Yak40. Today I flew a KLM(NC) MD-11 from Paris to Heathrow as I didn't have much time. And guess what? I haven't been arrested :( It was a fun flight. But each to his own and good luck to you whatever you want to do :( So maybe I'll just try this JS41 if I like the look of it.
I'll second that Gavin. I'll buy any aircraft that is done well no matter if used in the 'real world' or not. At the end of the day I'd rather fly anything rather than the 'stock shambles' of the Airbus. Saying that I really like the default Cessna :() Some sim planes 'fly' well others are just crates; goes for payware ones as well lol. Looking forward to the JS41 though as it'll be brilliant to have something I've been a passenger on.John Ellison