Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

Radeon HD 4890 XT 1GB 256-bit DDR5

Guest dakrisht

We should be seeing the nvidia GeForce GTX 275 fairly soon but I wanted to get some thoughts on the Radeon HD 4890 XT 1GB card for FSX?What are some thoughts on the Radeon HD 4890 XT 1GB card for FSX?Would you buy it over a GTX260 or even a GTX285?What if you're running an AMD Chipset + processor?Some thoughts on the Radeon or even the GTX 275?Let's talk about video cards! :(

I will definitely buy it over gtx 285 and 275, simply because ATI has a better image quality, better hardware specs and they are starting to fix the drivers for FSX. Also I have tested an ES sample of the upcoming Phenom II 955 and can assure you this thing will be a corei7 920 killer considering the price and the performance in FSX.

ATI does not have better image quality in FSX. In fact, it is total crap compared to Nvidia. The AA, even when forced to its highest settings is mediocre at best. Not to mention the FPS hit clouds take.

Guest dakrisht
ATI does not have better image quality in FSX. In fact, it is total crap compared to Nvidia. The AA, even when forced to its highest settings is mediocre at best. Not to mention the FPS hit clouds take.
Ha, let the nvidia vs ATI wars begin!Seriously though, I think the 4890 is a solid card. Calling it "crap" is just plain stupid.@tingri, I have a Phenom II X4 940, my colleague at the office has an Intel Core i7 920 (stock clock) which looses 90% of benchmarks to my OC'd Phenom II 940 BE OC'd @ 3.7Ghz...It is a GREAT chip period, the Phenom II 955 should be able to easily go past the 4.0Ghz spectrum... The Core i7 is obviously a great chip as well, great memory bandwidth, the Phenom II X4 is no joke. Definitely the two top chips in the game right now.@Chapstick, you should back up your claims before posting your nonsense, considering that you have never even used the 4890.

Guest djt01
Not anymore. With the latest drivers from Nvidia the image quality advantage ATI once had is gone.As far as FSX is concerned, I

Ha, let the nvidia vs ATI wars begin!Seriously though, I think the 4890 is a solid card. Calling it "crap" is just plain stupid.@tingri, I have a Phenom II X4 940, my colleague at the office has an Intel Core i7 920 (stock clock) which looses 90% of benchmarks to my OC'd Phenom II 940 BE OC'd @ 3.7Ghz...It is a GREAT chip period, the Phenom II 955 should be able to easily go past the 4.0Ghz spectrum... The Core i7 is obviously a great chip as well, great memory bandwidth, the Phenom II X4 is no joke. Definitely the two top chips in the game right now.@Chapstick, you should back up your claims before posting your nonsense, considering that you have never even used the 4890.
Back up my claims? Ok, fine. I have a 4870 and I don't like it. I'm not saying Nvidia is great, both companies have their drawbacks. But the fact of the matter is, AA is worse in FSX on ATI cards compared to Nvidia. And the 4890 won't change anything because it is basically just an overclock.

For FSX get the fastest single gpu nVidia card you can afford. GTX 275, 280 or 285. No doubt about it.Konrad

Konrad

In my 10 years of PC use, I've only ever owned ATI video cards. Sold my 4870 last week on ebay and got my first ever Nvidia card. Making the change was the single best thing I've ever done for FSX. AA now actually works and shimmering is virtually gone resulting in vastly superior image quality on my new BFG 285.I guess you can now call me a Nvidia "a really excited user"

Guest UlfB
...better hardware specs and they are starting to fix the drivers for FSX....
The GTX285 has a 159GB/sec memory bandwidth. Give me the memory bandwidth for the 4890 and prove that your'e right!

It is 125 gb/s and you will never notice the difference if they fix the drivers. But if you were in our country will notice the difference in price. The Nvidia 285 is around 500 euro compared to 250 euro for the 4890.

Guest dakrisht

Seems like NVIDIA has the upper hand with FSX...When are their new cards coming out (post GTX285/295) ?I ask because upgrading to a 285 from a 9800GTX+ isn't worth the money... Even though I find I might need that extra 512MB for damn FSX...

I swear this is some kind of urban legend being spread by people who don't actually have an ATI 4xxx card. I've seen nothing like what you've described here with my 4870 and I've owned plenty of Nvidia cards prior to it... The clouds hit thing was an old problem with the 2xxx and 3xxx Radeons if I recall correctly. I've had no problems flying in weather with the 4870.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I swear this is some kind of urban legend being spread by people who don't actually have an ATI 4xxx card. I've seen nothing like what you've described here with my 4870 and I've owned plenty of Nvidia cards prior to it... The clouds hit thing was an old problem with the 2xxx and 3xxx Radeons if I recall correctly. I've had no problems flying in weather with the 4870.
Ha. I am still using one of the old g92s i.e. 8800gts and it still works awesome. I will never upgrade my pc because it works perfect in fsx and everything else.q6600780i2x 8800gts g92and the usual.

Conspiracy theories aside, I also never experienced the cloud hit when I used the 4870. But I can say that after switching to a GTX285, FSX has never looked better. No more shimmering and no more hoping AA would work when starting a new fight. In the past, I found that the unofficial Omega drivers would solve most FSX problems on ATI cards, but that project now seems dead. It seems that both ATI and nVidia could both care less about FSX driver optimizations, but on MY system nVidia wins hands down...I'm glad the 4870 works for you though. As they say, YMMV.Dustin

ATI has better graphics for my FSX. No burries!!I would rather use my 4870 1GB than my GTX295.