Sign in to follow this  
dubravko

Good scenery vs bad scenery

Hi everyone,I have a little problem that keeps bugging me and so far I have no solution to it.I'm running FS9 (FS2004) on my machine. Here are the specs:WIN XP Pro SP3AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4000+ at 2.11 GHz3GB of RAM DDR2 at 800MHzNVidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB of RAMWestern Digital HD 250GBand the problem is low frame rates with some sceneries. For example I don't have low frame rates problems with some complex airports like Aerosofts Cologne/Bonn or Aerosofts Leipzig/Halle (with most of the airports that are from Aerosofts GA2 pack I have at least 15fps with ActiveSky weather engine running and complex airplanes like PMDG 737 flown from VC). Also FlyTampa sceneries (for example Vienna, St. Maarten or Miami) are running at 15fps at least as well as FlightZone Portland or Rhode Island scenery.On the other hand a little bit lower fps I get with really complex airports like Mega Airport Frankfurt or London but this does not suprise me a lot.What does suprise me a lot that I get like from 6 to 8 fps with some airports from Aerosofts German Airports 1, 3 and 4 packs (for example D

There are numerous possibilities.Please indicate the quantity and size of textures in the respective sceneries and whether they are compressed. Also, if there are any custom ground polygons present. Are there any animated vehicles? Do any of them also cover areas beyond the airport? If so, what type of scenery is that?Best regards.Luis

There are numerous possibilities.Please indicate the quantity and size of textures in the respective sceneries and whether they are compressed. Also, if there are any custom ground polygons present. Are there any animated vehicles? Do any of them also cover areas beyond the airport? If so, what type of scenery is that?Best regards.Luis
Luis, thanks for reply!There is no significant difference in the size of textures between for example AS Cologne/Bonn and FSQuality Zagreb or Split airport. The biggest textures for FSQuality Zagreb are like 300kB in size (6 of them) and the others are 100kB and less. Looks to me that this are the DXT3 textures. Also please note that AS Cologne/Bonn has some textures which are 1MB in size and it has a lot more textures than FSQuality Zagreb for example. Also taxi/apron textures for all FSQuality airports from Croatia-Slovenia scenery are default FS9 textures so I think there is no custom ground polygons.There is no animated vehicles in the area, at least I didn't noticed any.The problem might be that near Zagreb airport is another small GA airfield and when users aircraft is positioned at one of them scenery for both airports is loaded I guess.I'll have to play with this a little bit more to see whats causing some of this less complex airports to give mi such a low fps.Regards, Dubravko!

Hi,There is no easy answer to this, as already mentioned. Besides the textures also the way the author decided to design things has a big influence on the performance. Did he make all buildings with the latest techniques or are some older and less efficient objects still present? Did he tune all ranges to get optimal performance? There are so many factors that determine the final performance. Unfortunately most of these are not visible from the outside to the end user, so it is hard to determine where the problem is.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi,There is no easy answer to this, as already mentioned. Besides the textures also the way the author decided to design things has a big influence on the performance. Did he make all buildings with the latest techniques or are some older and less efficient objects still present? Did he tune all ranges to get optimal performance? There are so many factors that determine the final performance. Unfortunately most of these are not visible from the outside to the end user, so it is hard to determine where the problem is.
OK, thanks Arno.It seems that FS addon producers like Aerosoft or FlyTampa that make great sceneries put a lot of time in creating it and optimizing for best performance. On the other hand some producers obviously are not able to spend a lot of time in optimizing the scenery for best performance so sometimes even small sceneries cause extreme drop in fps.Regards, Dubravko