Sign in to follow this  
Odaat

Core Temps on i& 920 Nehalem - Stock

I built a new system last week and I heard good things about the stock fan and heat sink that comes with the chip so I used it. I'm getting 48-51 for my 4 core temps at idle. I know this is fairly typical from what I've read. What I would like to know are actual numbers from anyone who is using this chip with a 3rd party fan and heat sink to see if they are really that much cooler. I'm using CoreTemp to get the numbers, but they are consistent with numbers I'm getting from EVGA E-LEET. Here are my specs:EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core ProcessorOCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDCORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Power SupplyAntec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case(2)ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitoredit: Room temperature is 23, system temp is 28 and i& is i7 :)ThanksPaul

I'll check my roommate's stock 920 w/Core Contact Freezer & 1366 adapter this weekend.
Thanks!

Guest Alphahawk3
I built a new system last week and I heard good things about the stock fan and heat sink that comes with the chip so I used it. I'm getting 48-51 for my 4 core temps at idle. I know this is fairly typical from what I've read. What I would like to know are actual numbers from anyone who is using this chip with a 3rd party fan and heat sink to see if they are really that much cooler. I'm using CoreTemp to get the numbers, but they are consistent with numbers I'm getting from EVGA E-LEET. Here are my specs:EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core ProcessorOCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDCORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Power SupplyAntec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case(2)ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitoredit: Room temperature is 23, system temp is 28 and i& is i7 :)ThanksPaul
Paul, I hate to tell you but the stock cooler is crap for the 920...that is pretty much a fact. The cooler that comes with their other i7's are far better from what I have read. I have mine clocked to 3.6ghz with DDR3 1600RAM and it idles at 32 Celsius with the V1 Max...and it is not really the best after market cooler to have. During 100% CPU stress test doing test over night it never got higher than 65 Celsius. I don't know about running that CPU at 4ghz...plenty say they do it....but a lot of folks seem to use the True 120 for that. Noctua...I think that is the name...makes a good one also. But the stock cooler just does not cut it in my opinion even if you don't clock. I am sure others will come in with a recommendation. Regards

Paul, I hate to tell you but the stock cooler is crap for the 920...that is pretty much a fact. The cooler that comes with their other i7's are far better from what I have read. I have mine clocked to 3.6ghz with DDR3 1600RAM and it idles at 32 Celsius with the V1 Max...and it is not really the best after market cooler to have. During 100% CPU stress test doing test over night it never got higher than 65 Celsius. I don't know about running that CPU at 4ghz...plenty say they do it....but a lot of folks seem to use the True 120 for that. Noctua...I think that is the name...makes a good one also. But the stock cooler just does not cut it in my opinion even if you don't clock. I am sure others will come in with a recommendation. Regards
Thermalright 120 at 4Ghz on i920 gives 36C idle, roughly 62C in FSX and 78C Prime95 for a couple of hours

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

"Thermalright 120 at 4Ghz on i920 gives 36C idle, roughly 62C in FSX and 78C Prime95 for a couple of hours" to quote DescendThermalright 120 at 4Ghz on i920 gives 38C idle, roughly 58C in FSX and 69C Prime95 for about 6 hours. But we keep our house cool and it is not summer yet. Temps will surely go up some.

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

Guest simjunkie

If you don't have it already, it makes all the difference the type of fan, especially on the TRUE. High static pressure fans like the Scythe S-Flex or even the Delta's & similar. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf75cfms12.htmlor thishttp://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trblhisp.htmlThat Delta is an awesome fan if you have a controller. Try one of those on your TRUE! :( -jk

Guest Nick_N

The best fan for the TRUE is this onehttp://www.frozencpu.com/products/5879/fan..._R121225BU.htmlReasons:2400 RPM abilityPWM 4 pin allows motherboard control of speed (runs low unless CPU warm)110.03 CFM to push on the large blockdownfall: 39.5 dBA @ full speed which is louder than I prefer. I rather keep max dBA around 32-34 but its still 10dBA quieter than a Delta which is a lot

Guest simjunkie
The best fan for the TRUE is this onehttp://www.frozencpu.com/products/5879/fan..._R121225BU.htmlReasons:2400 RPM abilityPWM 4 pin allows motherboard control of speed (runs low unless CPU warm)110.03 CFM to push on the large blockdownfall: 39.5 dBA @ full speed which is louder than I prefer. I rather keep max dBA around 32-34 but its still 10dBA quieter than a Delta which is a lot
I turn mine down unless I'm flying and even then never higher than 80%. Even at 1900rpm they still push pretty good. Then when I'm in the sim I have my sound turned up so the fans aren't that noticable. But Nick, Aren't those everflow fans similar to the slipstreams? And it's not just cfm but pressure too, right?-jk

i7 920HT enabledturbo mode enabledstock voltagestock clockSunbeam Core Contact Freezer cooler fan set to autorunning OCCT Linpack stress test maximum individual core temperature = 65 degrees Cidle temps range from 37 to 44 degrees C across the individual cores

i7 920HT enabledturbo mode enabledstock voltagestock clockSunbeam Core Contact Freezer cooler fan set to autorunning OCCT Linpack stress test maximum individual core temperature = 65 degrees Cidle temps range from 37 to 44 degrees C across the individual cores
Thanks for the info.