Sign in to follow this  

Blurre vision

Age is creeping up on me (52) and my eyesight is not what it used to be, vision in my right eye is somewhat blurred, so it looks as though I'll have to finally give up any thoughts of being a Tornado pilot in the RAF. If this isn't bad enough I now seem to be suffering from the dreaded blurries in FS (see pics). Can any of you immensely talented, experienced and generous (flattery gets you everywhere) simmers out there shed any light on the problem.I've tried every FS2002.cfg [Terrain] setting I could find in the forums, I have the latest drivers for my video card (Radeon 8500 128mb), I've tried the Omega drivers which are no better, my system is only 12 months old so I assume BIOS and chipset etc drivers are reasonably up to date.The pics were taken on descent and approach to Pisa. I have installed fscene-Europe, fslandclass-Europe and Lago Terramesh-North Italy. (Please don't tell me British Midland don't fly to Pisa, I was flying from Leeds to LHR but the wind blew me off course!)System specs:-Athlon 1900+512mb DDR PC210080gb 7200 HDAti Radeon 8500 128mbfs setup for the shots:-Scenery: (I've played around endlessly with these settings with very little effect).Hardware: Target framerate: 16Resolution: 1152x864x32T&L: offMIP-Mapping on (turning this off improves things but at the expense of shimmering textures)AA: onMulti-texturing: onBi-Linear filtering: onI also turned all weather off.Many thanks in advance,Pete

Guest ba747heavy

Pete,Enable Tri-Linear filtering(if you can)T&L, onUnder the texture section of the fs2002.cfg, put this(make a copy of your fs2002.cfg)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=10.500000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=7TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 ;0=off 1=onTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=5.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3See if that helps.

Hi Fred,Thanks for your reply,I've just tried your suggestions and I'm pretty sure there is an improvement, the blurred textures seem to have been pushed further into the background. I'll try again tomorrow, I'm off to bed now (live in UK), have to be up in 4 hours for work. I'll let you know how I get on.Thanks,Peter

The textures don't look that bad to me. In this case, I doubt the tweaks suggested will offer much improvement. Compare what you see to any in air shot @ airliners.net, or almost any (unretouched) screenshot here...The top pic, depending on altitude, may indicate you have Extended Terrain textures disabled. But if you are in the flight levels, the blurred textures in the distance may simply be the extent that FS can display the detailed textures. I couldn't tell from what altitude that first shot was taken. The A/P had 10,000 dialed in, and if you were at that altitude, I'd say extended textures were off.-JohnEdit: Having seen your reply right after I posted this, I almost suspect your extended terrain textures were turned off for some reason.

Guest Lindy

Your pics really didn't look all THAT bad. Most of your foreground textures look fine to me. This is a pretty simplistic question but what do you have your Visibility set on? If you have it on unlimited, then, yes, I agree you should probably be seeing sharper images a little farther out. Good luck-Lindy :-wave

Guest ba747heavy

The problem is that the sharp textures, which are very sharp indeed, stop at a set distance from the plane. No 'gradual' blurring of textures into eternity. It is just one sharp, massive change and that is the problem :)

That may be caused by having visibility too high, in combo with extended textures off. The sharp textures end too close to the aircraft, I think. Also, whenever landclass updates are installed, the definition between detailed and "muted" textures can be far greater, as landclass updates only influence the detailed textures. Anything beyond the extended texture limit is what I like to call FS's default, "flight level" texture map...-John

As John said, the blurries in pic 1 & 2 are definitely caused by having "Extended Terrain Textures" disabled. You can enable this in the Options/Settings/Display menue.The blurries in the 3rd picture are caused by mip mapping. If mip mapping is enabled, then espeacially urban areas become purplish/pinkish patches from the distance (and mostly at very low altitudes).Disable mip mapping in Options/Settings/Display and these blurries ere gone, but probably for the price of extreme shimmering.For my NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 I use Riva Tuner to set any degree of mip mapping I want between LOD - 3 and LOD + 3, so not only enable or disable it. If I remember correctly Riva Tuner also works for ATI cards.With a bit of Riva Tuner tweaking you can set your preferred amount of "blurries" (means mip mapping ;-)).The resulting shimmering you then can cure by setting the right value of "anisotropic filtering" also via Riva Tuner.With this method I have cured my blurries and nearly all of the shimmering.BTW Riva Tuner you can download at www.3dguru.comWolfgang

Guest ba747heavy

>BTW Riva Tuner you can download at www.3dguru.com;-) I thought it was www.guru3d.com:D

>;-) I thought it was www.guru3d.comAnd I think, you are right! Wolfgang :-beerchug

Hi Guys,Just a quickie (I wish) to say many thanks for your help and suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have the time this evening to climb into the thingypit and try them out, dammit, but I will be spending some quality time this weekend with my hands around my joystick, I'll let you know how things work out.Once again many thanks, truly appreciated.ps Could anyone please give me a breakdown on what all elements of the section of 2002.cfg do and what the value ranges are of each, I know that some are on or off (0 or 1) but I've seen wildly varying values for some of the elements.Kind regards,Pete