Sign in to follow this  
Guest acebrando7

PSS Aircraft

They have only responded to "RFP 747-200" as of yet by saying that JustFlight has been selling "RFP" for a long time, and that "RFP" has been freeware for only a short time -- Well, they're wrong on that.They have not responded to my PSS questions yet -- Interesting, No?brando
No. It isn't interesting.

Brando,To date, no one from JF has responded to your post. There has been some comment from the usual guys who live on the JF forum but nothing from the JF team.And I am afraid that I would not expect them to respond.John R

Guest acebrando7

All,Derek, from JustFlight, actually responded to me on their forum. Therefore the following is very interesting:"To answer the questions specifically. Just Flight is a publisher. When a developer wants to bring a product to market they will approach a publisher. In our case (and where an FS add-on is involved) we will agree terms with the developer, get their final version of the code, usually re-arrange the files to optimise performance, write a custom installer, apply copy protection (at our cost), write/edit manuals, pay one of the UK's top games art studios to design the artwork for packaging and adverts and then manufacture the product. We will arrange the marketing, place adverts, write e-shots, arrange press reviews and sell the product into retailers (including sending our sales team overseas to visit wholesalers and present the product). We will also translate and localise the product for other territories. When (hopefully) sales are made we will then pay the devloper a %ge royalty on each copy sold. All this is done under a contract signed by us and the developer.In the case of PSS, the developer has taken down their website (although they say they will return at some point). Whatver happens, we have a contract to publish the software they developed which we are doing and we continue to pay royalties. We hold the copyright on all products we publish. In the case of 747-200 RFP the situation is slightly more complicated. We have rights to publish the product in the UK. We originally obtained our licence from the US publisher via a German distributor. Royalties were paid to the German distributor, in turn to the US publisher and finally (one presumes) to the developer. However, the German distributor went bust a couple of years ago, owing us a fair bit of money. Such is life.We had spent a fair bit of cash on 747-200 and so in order to try and get some of it back we agreed a deal to buy out the remainder of the rights with the US publisher. From what I can gather the developer has taken it on themselves to post their copies of the code up as freeware. It is likely that they have the rights to their own IP and so, if their contract with the US publisher has expired, it's something they are entitled to do. However, we also have a legal contract with rights to the code and in theory we could take the matter to court. In reality, this would be a waste of time and the developer is unlikely to be a limited company so even if we won, there would be no-one to pay us any compensation.As it is, the version we are selling is boxed, on disc, fully sorted and with a full printed manual that you can use as a doorstop. We think the program is very good value and it should be clear that in the UK it is certainly NOT freeware. The post on the Avsim forum says: "The Original RFP 747-200 was made freeware because many distributors were selling it but they were NOT paying the development team. So, to put a dent in the distributors wallets, Ralph decided to release it as freeware." This is a huge distortion of the truth. We paid (and are still paying, because we have not earned back the advance) a large amount of money for this product. If the publisher (who had the rights when he sold them to us) didn't pass the money on (or was not obliged to) then it is a little unfair to tar us with the same brush. We have paid, fair and square and if the developer wishes to 'put a dent in our wallets' then he is probably succeeding. Thanks. At the end of the day, if the boot was on the other foot I am sure he would be the first to cry 'foul'. Just Flight plays a very straight bat when it comes to royalties and we always work in partnership with our developers or contractual partners. We are not in the business of selling freeware and we take exception to the suggestion. Hope this clears things up."brando

Interesting:"In the case of PSS, the developer has taken down their website (although they say they will return at some point). Whatver happens, we have a contract to publish the software they developed which we are doing and we continue to pay royalties."The only statement ever released by PSS, said that due to financial reasons etc, the company had closed down and the former CEO had retired. I wonder who is receiving the royalties - I hoe its the developers who, according to comments at the time, had not been paid for several months before the company shut.I still hope Anthony W can start something up again - but I wonder .....?John R

Guest acebrando7
Interesting:"In the case of PSS, the developer has taken down their website (although they say they will return at some point). Whatver happens, we have a contract to publish the software they developed which we are doing and we continue to pay royalties."The only statement ever released by PSS, said that due to financial reasons etc, the company had closed down and the former CEO had retired. I wonder who is receiving the royalties - I hoe its the developers who, according to comments at the time, had not been paid for several months before the company shut.I still hope Anthony W can start something up again - but I wonder .....?John R
You know more about PSS than I do...What are the names of the people who owned and operated PSS?brando

Brando,Look at the penultimate page of your 757 Manual Part One. The original team is all there. Graham Waterfield was officially the owner {CEO and mouthpiece (sic)} of PSS. I believe that he last appeared on the forum at least a year before the web site was taken down.John

Guest acebrando7
Brando,Look at the penultimate page of your 757 Manual Part One. The original team is all there. Graham Waterfield was officially the owner {CEO and mouthpiece (sic)} of PSS. I believe that he last appeared on the forum at least a year before the web site was taken down.John
John,I do not have the 757 manual. Thank you though, I will use Graham Waterfield's name for now.brando

I am not optimistic but would like to see PSS return - if only because {pending LDS of course } from a pilot's viewpoint, they have the best version of the 757 currently available.
Is that true? How is it better than the CS757? Just asking.What's even more interesting to me: can you save and load the panel state at all? Or, as with so many addons, all is lost whenyou save the flight normally and quite FS2004? See, I usually don't have the time to do long flights, and so, when I do a flight with a big aircraft, I like to see the panel state saved, so I can continue later. Usually it can't be done, though.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.