Sign in to follow this  
Ant1981

Decent rate

Is it me, or do other people feel they are being given instructions to decend to the crossing restriction altitude a little late for some aircraft decent rates?

Is it me, or do other people feel they are being given instructions to decend to the crossing restriction altitude a little late for some aircraft decent rates?
Without knowing more information it's hard to know why you are having this problem. I've used RC with many large aircraft - B737, B747, B777 and Concorde and can always meet the crossing restriction.What aircraft are you using?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Without knowing more information it's hard to know why you are having this problem. I've used RC with many large aircraft - B737, B747, B777 and Concorde and can always meet the crossing restriction.What aircraft are you using?
Various aircraft from 737s to A340s, what's your typical decent rate?

what descent rate are you having to use, to make the crossing restriction.

Often -2000ft/m to -2500ft/m, which seems a little steep, I even slow the aircraft down, which when you think about it, would make the decent steeper.

Various aircraft from 737s to A340s, what's your typical decent rate?
Usually 2000-2500fpm which is much the same as yours. If you use the CDU/FMC you can program a 40-mile waypoint and put an altitude restriction of 11000/12000ft into it and your CDU/FMC should control the speed and rate of descent to meet that requirement.Are you overspeeding during the descent?
Often -2000ft/m to -2500ft/m, which seems a little steep, I even slow the aircraft down, which when you think about it, would make the decent steeper.
Not really. Aircraft are at their most efficient when high up so they stay up there as long as possible. Concorde descended at 3500fpm but most of the passengers were probably well fed and watered so never noticed! :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Usually 2000-2500fpm which is much the same as yours. If you use the CDU/FMC you can program a 40-mile waypoint and put an altitude restriction of 11000/12000ft into it and your CDU/FMC should control the speed and rate of descent to meet that requirement.Are you overspeeding during the descent?Not really. Aircraft are at their most efficient when high up so they stay up there as long as possible. Concorde descended at 3500fpm but most of the passengers were probably well fed and watered so never noticed! :(
Yes, I know aircraft are more efficient when high up, wasn't talking about cruise altitudes, least I don't think I mentioned it.I just tried again in an A330-200, decent rate of -1800ft/m and it worked fine. I can come close to the speed restriction at times, but nothing too bad. I'm now wondering if it's anything to do with the flight plan as entered into the FMC, as you say also. I'm using FS Commander to create plans. I'll make sure the plan has the aircraft selected as I'm thinking that dependant on aircraft specs, the top of decent will differ for the same route with different aircraft.

Yes, I know aircraft are more efficient when high up, wasn't talking about cruise altitudes, least I don't think I mentioned it.
You didn't. :( I only mentioned because the descent rate is affected by how long you stay at cruise.
I just tried again in an A330-200, decent rate of -1800ft/m and it worked fine. I can come close to the speed restriction at times, but nothing too bad. I'm now wondering if it's anything to do with the flight plan as entered into the FMC, as you say also. I'm using FS Commander to create plans. I'll make sure the plan has the aircraft selected as I'm thinking that dependant on aircraft specs, the top of decent will differ for the same route with different aircraft.
Yes, selected aircraft will be important. If you can insert an additional waypoint for the crossing restriction it may help. Alternatively, use the FIX option on your CDU/FMC to display an circle 40 miles from the arrival airport and adjust your descent rate accordingly.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Alternatively, use the FIX option on your CDU/FMC to display an circle 40 miles from the arrival airport and adjust your descent rate accordingly.
Thats what I do in the Boeings, too bad the MD11 doesn't allow fixes to have distances (no circles) :(BTW I don't have any problem with the decent rate required.

Do you always descend at the aircrafts maximum descent rate?
Not sure who that question is directed to. No, that wouldn't be very good for the virtual passengers. Aircraft can descend up to 5000fpm which wouldn't be good from a planning point of view.If you don't have a CDU/FMC which will control the descent rate and speed use 2200fpm as a guide. Speed should be 280-300kts reducing to below 250kts once below 10,000ft (FL100).

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not sure who that question is directed to. No, that wouldn't be very good for the virtual passengers. Aircraft can descend up to 5000fpm which wouldn't be good from a planning point of view.If you don't have a CDU/FMC which will control the descent rate and speed use 2200fpm as a guide. Speed should be 280-300kts reducing to below 250kts once below 10,000ft (FL100).
I'm just making it with those speeds and using 1800ft/m, which is specified as the descent and climb rate, so I took that as the max. So if 1800 and 2200 is fine, then all should be well.

I'm just making it with those speeds and using 1800ft/m, which is specified as the descent and climb rate, so I took that as the max. So if 1800 and 2200 is fine, then all should be well.
throughout development, coding, testing, i use the stock ms lear. regardless of the crossing restriction (near side or far side), i always make the crossing restriction with a descent rate of 1800. as soon as i'm given the crossing restriction, i start the descent.you're playing with fire (also known as "you better be a radar contact expert, and experience sim pilot) to ask for a pilot's discretion for the crossing restriction.jd

Do you always descend at the aircrafts maximum descent rate?
Maximum? No way! That would cause me to hold alt all the time waiting for more decent instructions.Jay V

Guest Poppa_Bear

On a similar note, how does RC4.3 deal with STAR restrictions? From the examples below,KRDU RDU JAYRR GSO SPA ODF FLCON DIRTY BYRDS COSEL HOKIE LIAMS KATLKATL 141738Z 30011G16KT 10SM FEW020 SCT025 BKN035 18/12 A2977I'm planning on a FLCON3.SPA.27B approach. With the 09/04 AIRAC, I'm expecting a FL140 crossing restriction at DIRTY, however, RC gives me a FL120 restriction instead. Also, when making a FLCON3.SPA.8B approach, I'll get a FL110 restriction at DIRTY. From there, RC has me stay well below the remaining restrictions across Atlanta. I've figured out to add each point of the SID/STAR into the .pln, however, I was wondering how does RC4 deal with SID/STAR crossing restrictions?Cheers!!Ken