Sign in to follow this  
Ant1981

Decent rate

On a similar note, how does RC4.3 deal with STAR restrictions? From the examples below,KRDU RDU JAYRR GSO SPA ODF FLCON DIRTY BYRDS COSEL HOKIE LIAMS KATLKATL 141738Z 30011G16KT 10SM FEW020 SCT025 BKN035 18/12 A2977I'm planning on a FLCON3.SPA.27B approach. With the 09/04 AIRAC, I'm expecting a FL140 crossing restriction at DIRTY, however, RC gives me a FL120 restriction instead. Also, when making a FLCON3.SPA.8B approach, I'll get a FL110 restriction at DIRTY. From there, RC has me stay well below the remaining restrictions across Atlanta. I've figured out to add each point of the SID/STAR into the .pln, however, I was wondering how does RC4 deal with SID/STAR crossing restrictions?Cheers!!Ken
this is outlined extensively in the manual, illustrated in the flight planning section of the manual, and demonstrated in several of the tutorial flights.

Is it me, or do other people feel they are being given instructions to decend to the crossing restriction altitude a little late for some aircraft decent rates?
I typically use a descent rate in the 1500 - 1800 ft/min rangeand bring my speed down to the 280 - 300 IAS range, reducingas you descend. Below FL180 I bring it back to 270 and thatworks very well for me. I find RC to be very reasonable withdescents.Typically, one would start off with the higher rate of descent andthen reduce it as needs be which also helps in reducing speed.I.e. if I'm at FL240 and cleared to FL110 I'd start at 1800 ft/minand below FL180 or FL170 reduce to 1500ft/min and then to1000ft/min for the last thousand feet.Cheers,Jim

If you have instances where you anticipate you will arrive high at the restriction anticipate the restriction at 12,000 feet 40 nm out (terrain permitting). You then use to rough guide of the 3:1 descent guide:"The rule of three in aviation usage refers to the "3:1 rule of descent", in that 3 miles of travel should be allowed for every 1000 feet descent." from wikipedia.You can then request a lower cruising alltitude from center by estimating a vertical profile to the restriction and perhaps starting your descent earlier or a lower altitude at each step.