Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

minor annoyance - opening new page

Since switching to the new forum software, when I click the forums tab, it opens on a new page, leaving me with two avsim windows open. This happens only with Avsim and only since the new software. I've looked for a setting but can't find any. I use IE7 and I don't have it set to open a new page automatically.Is there a way to disable this action?Thanx,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Since switching to the new forum software, when I click the forums tab, it opens on a new page, leaving me with two avsim windows open. This happens only with Avsim and only since the new software. I've looked for a setting but can't find any. I use IE7 and I don't have it set to open a new page automatically.Is there a way to disable this action?Thanx,Vic
When we brought the new forums online, we altered the main page / top menu to force opening the new forums in a new browser instance. We did that because the new forums really didn't "feel right" under the top menu as did the old forums. To open the new forums in the same browser, put forums1.avsim.net in your favorites, and then when you are at the main page, simply go to favorites and open the forums in that browser pane.

Thanx, Tom. I always like to read the main page news and stuff before the forums so I'll live with it. It's not like it's the end of the world. Just getting lazy in my old age! :)Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is there any way to get each topic to open in a new tab or browser? When I come to the forums like to just click on "View New Posts" and when I click on one that interests me, I have to go back to the main page, by which time the "View New Posts" page has changed becuase there are new posts. Using the back button doesn't always take me back correctly either. Like the OP, not the end of the world -- just curious if I'm missing something.

Is there any way to get each topic to open in a new tab or browser? When I come to the forums like to just click on "View New Posts" and when I click on one that interests me, I have to go back to the main page, by which time the "View New Posts" page has changed becuase there are new posts. Using the back button doesn't always take me back correctly either. Like the OP, not the end of the world -- just curious if I'm missing something.
As I do on other BBS systems (and did on the old software here) I right click on the link for the thread I want to read and select the option to open in a new tab from the context menu. Before I had a browser with tab capabilities I opened a new browser window using a similar procedure. When I'm done reading the thread I just close the tab (thread window before the browser featured tabs).

As I do on other BBS systems (and did on the old software here) I right click on the link for the thread I want to read and select the option to open in a new tab from the context menu. Before I had a browser with tab capabilities I opened a new browser window using a similar procedure. When I'm done reading the thread I just close the tab (thread window before the browser featured tabs).
That is what I would have advised as well.

Thanks Robert, I was aware of how to do it that way -- problem is I have to remember to do it that way and I never do -- hmmm, all the other forums I belong to open in a new tab/window automatically-- interesting. Since there was an inherent prgrammatic way the site opens other links, I was just wondering if I could do something similar to my settings so that topics, too, would open that way.