Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FSX Activation Help Please

I have had my FSX working for a long time. It was activated when I first installed it with my code that is on the label that came with the CD . Now I get an error saying that it is not activated. These files in my SP1 version main FSX folder:api.dll - May10, 2007, 9:05 PM, 1.30 Mb, Version 10.0.61355.0, fsx-sp1.20070510-2038fsui.dll - May10, 2007, 9:05 PM, 1.40 Mb, Version 10.0.61355.0, fsx-sp1.20070510-2038main.dll - May10, 2007, 9:05 PM, 957kb, Version 10.0.61355.0, fsx-sp1.20070510-2038activate.exe - 18.3 Kb, Version 0.1.134.0, 5/10/07, 9:04 PM.I understand these are the files that are for activation. I still have my serial number that came with the CD. I see there are cracks on the torrents sites but I don't want to do that. I get the activation screen but when I click on activate over the Internet it say there is an error. When I click on activate by phone I get nothing. I have read that when you click on phone activation it is supposed to give me some sort of code that links to my S/N and my computer. I tried clicking on the activate.exe file, above, and it does not even run. If I can't figure it out I'll call them during the week when it will be less busy. Any help sure would be appreciated. Regards, Bob.As an update I just called the (800) 537-8324 activation number and after trying the automated system, which does not work if you don't have the multi digit activation number that is supposed to be displayed, I got a guy in India. He was of no help. He told me to call (800) 936-5700 on Monday. So much for MS Support!

Guest ShaneRay

What error are you getting, Bob?Coincidentally, I had to activate by phone this last week as I had reached the limit for activations after many reinstalls.I can't believe I'm saying this, but it was painless. I was off the phone with the agent in less than 5.But, it depends on your error. Mine was just a simple situation.Shane.

One of the joys of reviewing stuff for Avsim is that you have to keep doing clean reinstalls of stuff to make sure whatever you're reviewing doesn't experience weird stuff from clashing with things, so I have to reinstall FS a lot.As Shane notes, it's all fairly simple over the phone, you just key in what it asks for on the phone keypad, and it gives you a new number, which you can either write down and use later, or key in on your computer there and then.Of course when MS eventually stop supporting FSX in the future, you can guarantee that there will be numerous ways around the activation to be found on the 'net, but until that time you are indeed wise to avoid all that torrent stuff. As you probably know, many torrents are just a devious way to stick a virus on your computer, after all, if someone will happily rip off MS, you shouldn't be surprised if they are similarly disposed when it comes to ripping off other people too.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You may have to talk to a real person. If you can get the phone# you can bypass the auto activation and get a person. They should be able to walk you through getting the proper key etc.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi, Bob and everyone.I had the same issues and because of it I never wanted to waste time to install SP2, which you will have to go trough the same carp again.The explanation I got, from someone in India, is that the installation was not virgin, I had some add ons, and to reinstall and try again, which I had to do. You may have to do the same?To Al."…..after all, if someone will happily rip off MS, you shouldn't be surprised if they are similarly disposed when it comes to ripping off other people too."Bob purchased / paid for that, he is not the ripper.Sounds to me that you have it backwards, MS is the one that is ripping their customers off. I spent many hours trying to get FSX going and MS did not pay me for it. They are actually selling a Demo, but somehow getting away with it. I hope they stay out for ever. They caused more wasted time to their customers than any company that I can think of. I hope they go away! TV

To Al."

Alan Bradbury

What error are you getting, Bob?Coincidentally, I had to activate by phone this last week as I had reached the limit for activations after many reinstalls.I can't believe I'm saying this, but it was painless. I was off the phone with the agent in less than 5.But, it depends on your error. Mine was just a simple situation.Shane.
Hi. When I type in my CD code it tries to activate and then says unsuccessful. I am connected to the Internet. I also tried using the phone system. For one thing they ask for the code that is supposed to appear on the activation screen. I get no code numbers at all. The guy in India knew nothing. He said to call Monday to MS Support. Are the activation code numbers the same as the PID number that appear in the registry? Regards, Bob.
One of the joys of reviewing stuff for Avsim is that you have to keep doing clean reinstalls of stuff to make sure whatever you're reviewing doesn't experience weird stuff from clashing with things, so I have to reinstall FS a lot.As Shane notes, it's all fairly simple over the phone, you just key in what it asks for on the phone keypad, and it gives you a new number, which you can either write down and use later, or key in on your computer there and then.Of course when MS eventually stop supporting FSX in the future, you can guarantee that there will be numerous ways around the activation to be found on the 'net, but until that time you are indeed wise to avoid all that torrent stuff. As you probably know, many torrents are just a devious way to stick a virus on your computer, after all, if someone will happily rip off MS, you shouldn't be surprised if they are similarly disposed when it comes to ripping off other people too.Hi AJ. See my reply to Shane. Regards, Bob.Al
You may have to talk to a real person. If you can get the phone# you can bypass the auto activation and get a person. They should be able to walk you through getting the proper key etc.
Hi. It does no good to get the automated system or the real Indian person. If I can't get the activation screen to show the code numbers they ask for neither will do any good. REgards, Bob.

That does sound kind of annoying. I guess you will have to do like the guy said, contact MS and speak to someone who is more clued up about it. They may be able to share your screen over the 'net and surmise what the problem is. I've had MS do that once on my system when I got into a similar 'cannot sort it' loop with MS Office.Al

Alan Bradbury

That does sound kind of annoying. I guess you will have to do like the guy said, contact MS and speak to someone who is more clued up about it. They may be able to share your screen over the 'net and surmise what the problem is. I've had MS do that once on my system when I got into a similar 'cannot sort it' loop with MS Office.Al
Hi Al. Thanks. I did call MS today and the guy in India that helped me was of no real help. They have elevated it to Level II Support. They are supposed to call back in 24 hours. I'll be waiting!!! Best regards, Bob.

Hi Al. Thanks. I did call MS today and the guy in India that helped me was of no real help. They have elevated it to Level II Support. They are supposed to call back in 24 hours. I'll be waiting!!! Best regards, Bob.
Good luck Bob-it is frustrating-I wish you luck. It seems like lately one merely turn on ones machine and is faced with troubles-none of your own doing.I have had big problems with Vista 32 on my sim computer-have gone to level nth degree support -they can't figure out what the problem is and only advice after many support techs was to reformat/reinstall. Did the complete trip twice-did the reinstall/reformat-get the same problem almost immediately (windows will not update) -each support trip took 6 weeks and had the same result--too much lost time and $$$ of software that was time limited that I didn't have time to backup before the problem manifested. The third time I said no thanks-but I have a crippled Vista..My problem is well known on the internet-others have it-but there seems to be no recourse. I thought windows 7 might help-but windows 7 won't install because-you guessed it-Vista is not updated... :( I don't know who writes the error codes-since none of the techs seem to have any idea what they mean.I don't buy MS conspiracies/haters but I am a very dissatisfied customer at this point about Vista. I did have some activation issues with fsx as you describe in the early days-but for quite a while that has been fine here. Still, doesn't seem like a loyal customer should have to deal with this-period.

Good luck Bob-it is frustrating-I wish you luck. It seems like lately one merely turn on ones machine and is faced with troubles-none of your own doing.I have had big problems with Vista 32 on my sim computer-have gone to level nth degree support -they can't figure out what the problem is and only advice after many support techs was to reformat/reinstall. Did the complete trip twice-did the reinstall/reformat-get the same problem almost immediately (windows will not update) -each support trip took 6 weeks and had the same result--too much lost time and $$$ of software that was time limited that I didn't have time to backup before the problem manifested. The third time I said no thanks-but I have a crippled Vista..My problem is well known on the internet-others have it-but there seems to be no recourse. I thought windows 7 might help-but windows 7 won't install because-you guessed it-Vista is not updated... :( I don't know who writes the error codes-since none of the techs seem to have any idea what they mean.I don't buy MS conspiracies/haters but I am a very dissatisfied customer at this point about Vista. I did have some activation issues with fsx as you describe in the early days-but for quite a while that has been fine here. Still, doesn't seem like a loyal customer should have to deal with this-period.
Hi Geofa. I am about to think that Bill Gates and all his cohorts that invented this stupid activation scheme that does not work should be hung by their b**** until dead! I paid good money for this game and had it working for a long time. I see that thousands of others have had the same problems too. Regards, Bob.

Please keep us posted on the responses you receive, if any, from Microsoft.Over half of the time, Microsoft's support simply abandoned me in the middle of the problem (such as never calling back or never responding to emails).

Please keep us posted on the responses you receive, if any, from Microsoft.Over half of the time, Microsoft's support simply abandoned me in the middle of the problem (such as never calling back or never responding to emails).
Hi. Will do. Regards, Bob.