Sign in to follow this  
Guest GamePlayer

Getting Intervals of Stuttering in FSX

Guest GamePlayer

When I'm nearing a major airport, starting at around 150-200 miles away, I get intervals of stuttering that lasts around 10 seconds then smooth and then 5 minutes later stuttering for around 10 seconds again. I have a Windows Vista 64-bit, Q9450, GTX 285, 4GB RAM and a 640GB 7200 rpm hard drive. I have around half of the World-of-AI Traffic installed in FSX and was wondering if the stuttering is due to loading AI traffic files during flight? I even have FSX installed in a partition separate from the operating system partition but it still does not get rid of the bouts stuttering I encounter during flight.

When I'm nearing a major airport, starting at around 150-200 miles away, I get intervals of stuttering that lasts around 10 seconds then smooth and then 5 minutes later stuttering for around 10 seconds again. I have a Windows Vista 64-bit, Q9450, GTX 285, 4GB RAM and a 640GB 7200 rpm hard drive. I have around half of the World-of-AI Traffic installed in FSX and was wondering if the stuttering is due to loading AI traffic files during flight? I even have FSX installed in a partition separate from the operating system partition but it still does not get rid of the bouts stuttering I encounter during flight.
Some have reported that disabling the exits in the AI aircraft makes a difference, because the Jetways no longer get deployed.

Bert

Guest abulaafia

disabling the jetways helps, but its basically the AI traffic loading. try reducing AI traffic.

I have the same situation and have pretty much concluded it is the traffic being loadedand perhaps the jetways, etc, being activated.It's rather annoying but the worst aspect of it is that it often causes problemswith my A2A B-377.I've gone to the troble or reducing all my AI textures, converting them to DDS,changing the BMP callouts in the MDL files to DDS with a hex editor, replaced missing textures noted when running FileMon and several other 'tweaks' and changes.So far, nothing has eliminated these stutters. I see the primary proccessing core of my Q6600go to almost 0% for the duration of these stutters, while the other 3 'texture loading' coresremain at a high level of processing. There is alot of disc activity at this time as well.It's too bad that ACES didn't allow the AI handling processes to be moved off the primarycore as they did with the texture loading :(I generally fly VFR these days and tune my COM2 to the destination ATIS so that I canget the active runway and weather info to plan my approaches. This usually 'kicks in'( the ATIS activity ) at about 100 NM out and coincides with the beginning of the 'stuttering'.It would appear the only solution is to reduce the amount ot AI traffic. Something I'm notreally inclined to do, so I opt to 'live' with the stuttering. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I think that's what it is as well. Whenever a new AI or a batch of AI planes enters the arena it's stutter city. Setting a 400000000 buffer pool size in the cfg. (GTX 280) seems to have helped with the problem.

I agree with the others, AI is the enemy of FSX. I have reduced my ai to very spare with only the occasional plane showing up and it helps. The revelation is to fly with all ai off. The other thing that causes stutters a lot (it did in FS9 as well) are the ATC messages. I always see a stutter when an ATC message blasts in.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest jaskanFactor

my systemvista64 i7920@3.4ghz running FSXGPU =gtx285AddonsREX TexturesASA weatherTrafficXRC4I have read many posts on improving FSX performance including stutters, here are some that standout.1 - Bufferpoools at around 200000000 for 1gig gpu like gtx 8 series-----285 etc2 - FpsLimiter software - With this tool, turn fsx fps to unlimited, then set fps of about 25 to 30 in this tool. Many claim its makes things run much smoother for quad cores, and higer end systems.3 - PMDG have a set of FSX tweaks on thier website, and they usefull even if you dont have pmdg.4 - My traffic in FSX is set to about 30% on airline and GA traffic.5 - Lower rate at which weather changes. I have set mine in ASA. and disabled in FSX.6 - You get less performance on multiscreen system. Maybe.7 - Set A lower level fsx graphics settings, then gradually increase, to tune for FPS performance versus visuals. My System is also slower around airport, but 100 to 200 miles out is only possible if you near area with high level of traffic and visuals, Cities. The system is so much smoother in all ways when flying in africa compared to europe. Less Weather, traffic , and visuals. So if you world wider flyer, then set fsx graphics that common denominator of areas where you fly.8 - Defrag try O & O maybe, my ultimatedefrag-2008 on Vista64 is not doing as well as it was on xp32. So if O&O defrag is vista64 certified then it may be worth a try. But i have not checked.9- PMDG website got autogen tweaks to remove stuff from autogen that you wount really notice if you fly gets and not vfr. For example a - less variety of tress to gain fps. Many have reported improved performance with this b - some special cpu heavy sceneries are removed to gain fps. Many have reported improved performance with this c - check them out http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/PMDG_...#fsx.cfg_tweaks