Sign in to follow this  
Guest _Christopher_

Anyone Using FSX in Windows 7?

Guest Christopher_D

I just installed FSX into Windows 7 and so far it seems to run great, but I am having issues trying to add MyTraffic X to the scenery library. I verified BGLs are in the scenery folder and MTX installed okay, but I FSX will not let me add this to the library even though I have FSX.exe set to run as administrator under Vista compatibility mode.I am posting here instead of the MTX forum because my question is related to FSX, not MTX directly. Is anyone else with Windows 7 having issues with the scenery library in FSX? If so, and if you solved it, how so?I have been searching all over the place for a way to make my user account full admin in Windows 7, but found this is impossible (Microsoft has - with Windows 7 - now made it completely impossible to give your account full admin rights. It's like having UAC on all the time, but without the annoying dialog popups). Thus I need another solution.Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Guest Christopher_D

Okay so I have answered part of my own problem. Found a great utility (shareware) called Addit! pro for FSX. Apparently if you use it to add scenery libraries, then FSX will recognize the entries. Odd that it can do this but FSX itse;f cannot. Oh well. problem solved . . . for now . . . and I am passing this on for others to read to get their sceneries to work in FSX and Windows 7.If anyone figures out how to gain full admin control in Windows 7, I'd love to hear it.

I am having this problem in biuld 7068 and FS9. Won't surprise me if it's FSX also. You think it's the Windows 7 administrator rights?Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest Lem

Hey!Do you have a kneeboard problem in FSX with win7?I didn't find nothing with google to get help.

Hey guys I have been using FSX and Windows 7 Beta for a while tooI had the same scenery adding problem, previously, To add sceneries you had to select the folder then close the scenery selection box and it will add, but be listed as a blank and you couldn't change the name, then it magically started working properly after an update. These was only a problem for manually installed sceneries, ones with an installer added fine.The kneeboard problem is because we have IE8, and can't get rid of it as part of the Windows 7 Beta, so no fix for that problem AFAIKI have another problem, my internet access through IE8 is not recognized so I can't use IE8, but Firefox works just fine.Also I can't download realtime weather through FSX but Active Sky downloads it just fine..since I have a workaround I am not too upset, but if I didn't have active sky I wouldn't have realtime weather...

Seems to be an issue with where the scenery.cfg file is stored. For FSX this seems to be in the C:\ProgramData directory which has limited access.FS9 acts the same way however the scenery.cfg file is not stored in this special directory.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

The "solution" is simple. Don't install FS9 or FSX to the ..\Program Files default path...Use something short and simple instead, such as C:\FSX and then set the Permissions to "Full Access."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Christopher_D
The "solution" is simple. Don't install FS9 or FSX to the ..\Program Files default path...Use something short and simple instead, such as C:\FSX and then set the Permissions to "Full Access."
Well I actually went back to Vista Ultimate x64. I may consider Windows 7 when they actually start letting the owner of the computer be the owner of their computer. I ended up researching multiple sites on Win 7 and the way they are coding it now is that you can NOT have full admin rights on your account and you have to practically hack windows just to get access to the actual admin account. Even if you DO get access to the admin account, you cannot make your own account a full admin in any way shape or form. This is very bad news for users of FSX who upgrade to 7 after release and want to use add-ons.I'll be eyeballing Win 7 after release and watching the tech forums until someone comes up with a solution to make a user full admin. Microsoft will NEVER let this happen, so it will have to be a third party software (such as XP manager and Vista Manager do now) or manual hack that enables us to do this.I did consider installing into someplace besides program files, and I guess I failed to mention that is what I did. I have all of my programs on another hard drive, so when I install programs or add-ons, all I have to do is switch the drive letter at the beginning of the path. As far as I know, the only program files folder that is protected is the one that is actually on the Windows drive, so if you install your programs on another drive, this is not a factor. Thus this was not the cause of the issue.SOLUTION for those who DO wish to keep Windows 7 and install sceneries manually -- I downloaded a trial version of Addit Pro and it worked beautifully. I did get My Traffic X and other sceneries to work using this. But last night I still went back to Vista Ultimate x64 since at least on Vista I can still own my own computer.Thanks for the help anyway, all. :)
Hey!Do you have a kneeboard problem in FSX with win7?I didn't find nothing with google to get help.
I did not note that before I went back to 7 because I never use the kneeboard (I use a laptop next to me for checklists, etc.), but I see someone else answered that this was an IE8 issue. Since ACES is gone and Microsoft has no intention at all of any further support or continuation of FSX, I doubt a solution will come about. It will have to be up to third party developers to make something that makes kneeboard work with IE8.
Seems to be an issue with where the scenery.cfg file is stored. For FSX this seems to be in the C:\ProgramData directory which has limited access.FS9 acts the same way however the scenery.cfg file is not stored in this special directory.
I found out the hard way that FSX does not even use that scenery CFG file. It uses one stored in the same folder as your FSX.cfg file in user settings. I verified this after using Addit pro and noticing no entry was added to the CFG in the FSX folder, but I got my traffic back. While investigating I found the scenery.cfg in the user settings folder and that had the entry added. I also noticed that third party scenery that had installers added successfully to this as well.
I am having this problem in biuld 7068 and FS9. Won't surprise me if it's FSX also. You think it's the Windows 7 administrator rights?Xander
Considering Microsoft now has it programmed so that we will no longer be full admins no matter what -- yeah. I like Windows 7 -- I really do -- except for the part where it has more ownership of my computer and programs than I do. Antivirus and Antispyware programs protect our computer plenty well without blocking us from using legit programs. Microsoft just CHOOSES to be overbearing and forget that we are not all IT techs that can hack Windows to make things work. Their monopoly was broken up once, but to me this is a different kind of monopoly -- one that dictates that software developers now have to "certify" their software with Windows 7 to be able to actually work. **BUZZ** Wrong answer.I had FSX installed with 3 advanced airliners, the Flight1 Cessna Mustang and some photo scenery, along with MTX. That's only a few Gigs of FSX. I have just a little over 500 GB of FSX add-ons which are necessary for a realistic experience in simulation. If I had so much trouble just adding FSX with 5 or 6 add-ons, I could only imagine the nightmare of making the rest of my library work.At least Vista and XP allow us to at least tweak somewhat to own our own computers. We may license the usage of an OS through Microsoft, but I own this computer and I believe I DO have the right to use legit software without hacking or doing special procedures because MS wants to be "the most secure OS". My advice to MS: Stop competing with Linux for security and just stay user friendly. If people want insane security, they'll use Linux. If they want user friendly -- that's usually when they start considering Windows. But with Windows 7, that will no longer be the case I am afraid :-(

Actually it is or should be the other way around. If you do some research the scenery.cfg file in the default FSX folder is the backup file if the main one become corrupted. The file in the ProgramData folder should be the one that gets modified.After installing several addon sceneries my scenery.cfg file in my ProgramData folder had the entries whereas the one in the FSX folder still only had the default listings.My guess is that your system cannot access the ProgramData folder so as such it has been defaulting back to the 'backup' scenery.cfg file.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Guest Christopher_D
Actually it is or should be the other way around. If you do some research the scenery.cfg file in the default FSX folder is the backup file if the main one become corrupted. The file in the ProgramData folder should be the one that gets modified.After installing several addon sceneries my scenery.cfg file in my ProgramData folder had the entries whereas the one in the FSX folder still only had the default listings.My guess is that your system cannot access the ProgramData folder so as such it has been defaulting back to the 'backup' scenery.cfg file.
That's confusing though because I am not using the default program data folder. My path is on an entirely different hard drive. MS just needs to lighten up on their security. I had FSX set to "run as administrator". If FSX cannot access its own files even in a supposed "admin mode" then that's way too intense on security.

I think you are confusing ProgramData with Program FIles. Starting with Vista there is a hidden folder off the root of your C:\ drive (or whatever drive letter you installed the OS on) called ProgramData This directory is different than Program Files.If you install FSX onto a D: drive, say D:\FSX There are files that FSX looks at in several places:1. D:\FSX2: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (This is where your FSX.cfg file is stored)3: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (This is where your 'active' scenery.cfg file is usually stored)Both #2 and #3 are by default hidden from normal view to the user.

Guest Christopher_D
I think you are confusing ProgramData with Program FIles. Starting with Vista there is a hidden folder off the root of your C:\ drive (or whatever drive letter you installed the OS on) called ProgramData This directory is different than Program Files.If you install FSX onto a D: drive, say D:\FSX There are files that FSX looks at in several places:1. D:\FSX2: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (This is where your FSX.cfg file is stored)3: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (This is where your 'active' scenery.cfg file is usually stored)Both #2 and #3 are by default hidden from normal view to the user.
Nope. I am not confused here. MS somehow made it so that the program Files folder on the default drive is protected -- massively -- why? I do not know. I know about all three of the directories to which you refer, but it is the advice (such as mentioned above in one of the replies) which states "if you want full access by your program, you have to install somewhere other than the default program files folder".

Guest wizardwiz

Hi FolksI think I have found a way to add sceneries, manually. I have managed to change the permissions of the ProgramData directory. Here is what i did1. I searched for the hidden directory, but since Microsoft did their best to hide this thing, i had to search using Progarm and not ProgramData. Keep in mind you will get lots of lots of files/diretories.2. I lokated the correct directory , A.K.A ProgramData, and right click the link to that directory. I changed the properties attributes of the directory to be Read/Write and NOT HIDDEN. When you will try to change the attribute to read/write you will get some error simply "ignore all" and move along with it.3. I moved to the security tab on the same properties window and I changed the "Administrators (<your user name-PC\Administrators) and Users (your user name-PC\Users)" to have FULL PERMISSIONS.4. That's IT! now you can access the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg and you can manually add sceneries to it.Hope it helps you guys:)Wiz

I run FSX with no compatibility or admin rights under windows7. It is installed in default location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator XHere is how to add scenery in FSX under windows7:

1. open FSX
  2. open Settings
  3. click Scenery Library...
  4. click Add Area
  5. mark scenery you want to add and
  6. click OK ( it will open selected Addon scenery so you can now see it's subfolders, scenery & texture)
  7. now RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the white area in that open folder
  8. Dialog will now close and selected scenery will be added in the list
  9. click OK in the lower right and FSX will build new scenery database with your scenery added to it

Using this method you can also add scenery in FS9 under windows7Hope it helps :(This way you can also add scenery in FS9 under windows7

@captainmilos: Thanks for sharing, just saved my day :( My installation is to D:\FSX and UAC is disabled, so I don't think this has anything to do with access rights.