Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

FS2004 - what does this mean?

The Microsoft website says that the new Sim will allow these actions."Request full procedure approaches." "Request non-precision approaches."Would anybody care to guess exactly what they mean by these -- if it is what I think it might be, will it apply to ALL airports in the world?Barry

Guest DanWalloch

A full procedure approach would be an ILS that puts you exactly on the runway centerline and glideslope to the runway. A non-precision approach would be a VOR, NDB, localizer, back course approch or GPS approach. Localizer is an approach that makes use of an extended runway centerline (1/2 the ILS) [backcourse is just that, a localizer approach off the opposite end of runway] and envoles the pilot stepping down based on set distances and altitudes that are published on the chart. A VOR approach is flying inbound or outbound from a VOR on a radial and gets you pointed toward the runway, not usually lined up perfectly. Once again you need to step down based apon the chart. The NDB approach is like the VOR approach. And the GPS approach, you're following waypoints that you program into an IFR GPS and once again step down based on the chart. This is just a quick explination of the differences and parts were left out so that you wouldn't get confussed.

>A full procedure approach would be an ILS that puts you>exactly on the runway centerline and glideslope to the runway.I beg to differ. A full procedure approach can be any precision or non precision approach that assumes no radar vectoring to help pilot and instead assumes full pilot's navigation as prescribed on the chart. As an example - you would have to fly full procedure approach if you lost your radios while enroute.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

>>if it is what I think it might be, will it apply to ALL>airports in the world?>It may apply to ALL airports in the world the same way as an ILS approach applies now in FS2002 to all airports (that have it). Needless to say it will be done in a generic fashion since FSx has no real knowledge what individual approaches look like for a particular airport. If you know of another ATC program for FS - Radar Contact 3.0 - it will most likely be handled in a similar fashion.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Explanation appreciated, Dan.Cheers,Peter Sydney Australia

Thanks for the replies-- I know what these terme mean -- but I am wondering what they mean "in relation to" the new Sim.Barry