Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Sp2 standalone better for addon sceneries than Acceleration?

Look I could just be crazy and perhaps I sniffed way too much model airplane glue when I was a kid growing up, but I notice something slightly different about FSX with sp1 and sp2 standalone installed as opposed to FSX with Acceleration added. I just went through a major hardware upgrade and in going back and forth between the two computers installing and re-installing FSX and all the addons I have purchased. It seems possible that I detect that SP2 standalone gives 3rd party sceneries slightly better fps than Acceleration. Am I just imagining things? Does anyone here have any insight to that? I do follow almost all of Nick's Tweaks and I use Nhancer and I'm now on Vista 64 also tweaked. I haven't been super scientific about it, but it seems there is a slight difference with FSX with sp1 and sp2 standalone added providing slightly better performance. It's frustrating because I do like the extras Acceleration provides. With default sceneries both setups seem equal, it's only when you start adding 3rd party sceneries that some differences emerge.Lee :(

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I have not been sceintific about either but I have ran FSX with just SP1 and SP2 installed as well as FSX with Acceleration installed.Both installs perform the same on my system I see no advantage to one over the other in the performance department even when ustilizing addon scenery. However, with that being said there is a difference between a straight SP2 and an Acceleration SP2 and you must unistall one to install the other.

Guest jaskanFactor

I have used both Sp1 & Sp2 And just accelaration on its own.I can confirm acceleration is slow to load textures for addon aircraft, and seems generally slower than sp1 sp2.I have just tried a new fsx install using acceleration, and i have uninstalled the whole thing.It definatly seems to me that you get less fps with acceleration, but more noticable is the fsx seems to struggle to load vc textures on more detailed addon aircraft, and even the defualt F18.I would advice folks who dont need all those racy planes in acceleration to use just sp1 and sp2 fsx patches instead of acceleration.

Guest jaskanFactor

Just checked, sp1 &sp2 , definatly seems faster and smoother than acceleration. And vc textures load much more quickly

I have two FSX PCs, one has Acceleration, the other has SP2. Unfortunately they are vastly different specs (i7 vs Centrino Duo mobile) so direct comparison isn't possible. One thing I DO notice though, is that a number of addon sceneries make use of the extra library objects that are in Acceleration. Naturally these objects don't show up if you only have SP2.

Guest jaskanFactor
I have two FSX PCs, one has Acceleration, the other has SP2. Unfortunately they are vastly different specs (i7 vs Centrino Duo mobile) so direct comparison isn't possible. One thing I DO notice though, is that a number of addon sceneries make use of the extra library objects that are in Acceleration. Naturally these objects don't show up if you only have SP2.
I was suspected that , you get better graphics and eye candy with accelleration, but that extra detail makes it slower fps and smoothness than SP2.Using both i found SP2 much more responsive and less stutters, whilst using same fsx display settings. Did the test using a specific/same fsx settings.I am not into fighter jets and air race, just small - med - big commercial jets. So dont need the F18 etc.