Sign in to follow this  

Free at last!

I've done it! I have finally done it! I took the plunge and really did it! Shine sweet freedom! Oh, happy day! Finally I can enjoy what I've got and count my blessings instead of... my fps...!I've removed the framerate counter from the fsx.cfg!!! Yes! Really! I did it! No more low numbers to misguide me! Only my very own eyes to judge if what I've got is good or not! No more 'Hm, this looks nice, let's see what the fps is... OMG, this looks terrible!' No, those day are gone! Bye bye, fps counter, source of many dark hours, hello sweet freedom!FREE AT LAST! :(

I've done it! I have finally done it! I took the plunge and really did it! Shine sweet freedom! Oh, happy day! Finally I can enjoy what I've got and count my blessings instead of... my fps...!I've removed the framerate counter from the fsx.cfg!!! Yes! Really! I did it! No more low numbers to misguide me! Only my very own eyes to judge if what I've got is good or not! No more 'Hm, this looks nice, let's see what the fps is... OMG, this looks terrible!' No, those day are gone! Bye bye, fps counter, source of many dark hours, hello sweet freedom!FREE AT LAST! :(
Excellent idea! Many, many happy flights to you!Edited by author:ps I just did the same on my system.. almost as tough as banning ice cream from the house :(

Bert

I always wondered if that would have been the best patch for fsx-either removal of the fps counter-or one that would report 20 fps more than actually seen. :(

Guest jshyluk

Waitaminnit... there's a frame rate counter?!? Huzzah!! Now I can apply the Petraeus Index into my reviews!! Insert smiley faced emoticon here.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Nick_N
FRAME RATES DURING TUNING: If you are going to sit there and stare at the frame counter using it to judge performance.. you will be beating your head against the desk forever. Yes, you can use that number when the frame lock is set to UNLIMITED ONLY to get a feel for performance after making a change ASSUMING Unlimited frame lock does not cause microstutters in the area you are flying/testing but DO NOT use the number as a primary target goal LOCKED or UNLOCKED!In FSX its about SMOOTH flight with CLEAR terrain. If you are seeing that on the screen it does not matter WHAT the frame rate number displays!You can be set to UNLIMITED and have perfect results and the frame counter showing 18-24.. forget the counter, TUNE BY SMOOTH FLIGHT AND SHARP/CLEAR SCENERY

I have always tended to gauge my experience on what I see & feel, and not what that counter is telling me :(

Aw, shucks, guys!You just burst the "bragging rights" bubble of all those folks who spent thousands of dollars to get 100 FPS in FSX...even though their monitor can only display 60 FPS at the 60 Hz refresh rate.You big meanies! :(

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N
Aw, shucks, guys!You just burst the "bragging rights" bubble of all those folks who spent thousands of dollars to get 100 FPS in FSX...even though their monitor can only display 60 FPS at the 60 Hz refresh rate.You big meanies! :(
What are you talikn about??Didn't you know you should turn off Vsync cuz it causes that FPS restriction and enjoy the 'wiggly' distorted screen @ 100FPS????ITS ALL ABOUT THE FRAMES!!! if you are not geting at least 100 you cant ever enjoy FSXAnd dont let anyone tell you different! I can see the difference in 60 and 100 frames!

Guest Tingoose

Good god alive! What's all this about the frame rate counter? I can't even remember how to switch it on.

Having now had the counter off for a week, I must say that this is some of the best advice in a looong time!!! :(

Bert

Having now had the counter off for a week, I must say that this is some of the best advice in a looong time!!!
LOL Well, I have to say I am also very glad with my decision. Last week there were some moments where performance wasn't that good and normally I would have looked at the fps and it would have spoiler the flight... But now I could only keep on flying and within no time performance was good again or I just didn't bother and I was happy with what I had. I even sometimes think 'Ah, luckily the counter is gone so it won't spoil the fun'. It's really stupid of course, it's like fooling yourself, haha, but I am really glad the counter is gone for good. :( Funny how these things work...