Sign in to follow this  
turner112

"Random airport picker" ?

I'm wondering if there is a utility simply for picking random airports - What I have in mind is a "virtual charter" type experience but one in which the user can specify starting airports, perhaps, then let the program pick a destination based on something like range and runway length.Any leads appreciated!Andrew

Guest gasebah

No leads, but that is exactly what I am looking for too, except that I would like to add a minimum and a maximum distance as well, and maybe some other intelligent filters and randomizers.That would be a nice little add-on.Alex

Hi,I have made such a utility myself, As I am now in French Guiana for my job, I don't have it with me right now, but I can explain how I made it.I extracted from FS2002 a data base containing all the data concerning the airports : name, ICAO, runway length, ILS, and latitude/longitude. I did that with the Ted Wright's Nav 3.1, which translates these data into a text file. I have somewhat manipulated these data to make them compatible with an Excel spreadsheet, and I can choose a random airport (by attributing each airport aline in the spreadsheet) with specified conditions : minimum runway length, maximum distance from starting point, presence of ILS, etc.I am now working on a flight planner, using the spherical trigonometry formulas, to solve the problem of the best fuel stops between very distant airports (or to limit the flight duration).The only problem is that the file containing the data base is large : around 10 Mb.If you are interested, please wait a few weeks intil I return home.Alain

Guest danowat

Hi Brian,Yeah, I checked the link, I like it, do you know of anyway I could get it to work offline?Thanks in advanceDan.