Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What LCD "response time" translates to TOO SLOW for FSX & other more action-oriented titles?

--------------Noel- Be aware that visual distortion occurs when any monitor is viewed from an angle and increases as the viewing angle increases. (ex.- a diagonal, corner to corner line will appear progressively steeper as the mon is viewed from the side- eventually seeming to be a vertical line!) Reason of course is that the mon appears to become narrower as viewing angle increases.This is why a vistor sitting beside a sim pilot sees a very distorted picture ( and probably thinks we simmers are a bit strange)! What the world needs are concave monitors- concave both vertically AND horizontally! And then we could display & see FS the same way our eyes and brains see the real world!Alex ReidPS- I have both an ACER and an IBM LCD in a triple mon config with a (centre) KDS CRT. Both LCDs have an 8 ms response and I'm quite happy- no ghosting etc.- even in rapid manoeuvers such as aerobatic rolls or loops.
Thank you for that insight. I won't be viewing FSX from an angle, it is mainly so I can use my digital sampler (midi controller) from an angle and also people viewing from other than straight on can enjoy a brighter picture.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel,Congratulations on your purchase. Seems what you'll have is most suitable for your needs :)Let us know how it goes.Cheers.
It's everything it is advertised to be--but I definitely prefer my late Samsung 204B 1600 x 1200 TN screen. Arrgghh!!!!! This Dell display is definitely high quality for color, uniformity, viewing angles. The overall image quality in games of any kind, in my opinion, is somewhat inferior. It's as I thought it might be with .282 pixel pitch and this resolution--it's just less crisp. Maybe there's a little more adjustment that might help it. I'm hoping somehow I will start liking it!Unfortunately monitors like my Samsung 204B that use a TN panel at that size have become a thing of the past. No one makes them anymore, which really surprises me. All the 1600 x 1200 screens now are done with IPS or SPV panels with larger pixel pitch, and slow response times, so not well suited for action gamers. There are a few 204B's on ebay, refurbished, and I may actually pick one up. I realize image sharpness is a top priority for me. I'm also not sure if this resolution (1680 x 1050) is a good part of the issue. I may also have to go with a 1920 x 1200 screen with lowest pixel pitch .27 and see if that's good enough. I'm not sure if TN or S-PVA is the best way to go with 1920 x 1200.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel- I don't know if the following has any relevance to your query but FWIW- my monitor setup uses both an ACER and an IBM LCD and an ancient KDS CRT giving synched triple views. Both LCDs have 8ms response times.I can detect no ghosting whatsoever- even in rapid motion aerobatics.In fact, with a little colour balancing, I can detect no differences between any of these monitor images- other than the IBM has darker blacks.Alex Reid

Noel- I don't know if the following has any relevance to your query but FWIW- my monitor setup uses both an ACER and an IBM LCD and an ancient KDS CRT giving synched triple views. Both LCDs have 8ms response times.I can detect no ghosting whatsoever- even in rapid motion aerobatics.In fact, with a little colour balancing, I can detect no differences between any of these monitor images- other than the IBM has darker blacks.Alex Reid
Hi Alex, Thank you for that input. I decided to buy a HP LP2065 4:3 screen. I don't find widescreen adds anything to how FSX looks, and TW04 doesn't support widescreen, so a widescreen display has to run at non native res so IQ suffers. I don't like the stretched 2D panels in the birds I fly. The HP I bought has the tight .255 pixel pitch, 1600x1200 native, 8ms response time and a 20.1" viewable screen. It also sports 178 degree viewing angles. The only unknown is if the one shipped will have an S-IPS panel, or a PVA. It would seem earlier models would occasionally show up with PVA or MVA panels, but this seems less n less the case since the monitor debued, or so it seems. I'm mainly interested in pixel pitch and native resolution, so probably either panel will work in that regard. It is touted to be very sharp IQ wise which is what I am after. If it is too slow I can return it to Amazon per their return policy.

Noel

Guest harleyman52

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news..but LCD responce time has nothing to do with gaming...Responce time measured in MS is how fast a responce the time your mouse has in relationship to the display...