Sign in to follow this  
Jure

The importance of an engine soundset

Hi,lately I've been flying the good ol' RFP B747-200/100 a lot (again), a Posky/RFP merge, actually, and everything is working like a dream. Besides the magnificent PW sounds that come with the RFP package and a freeware RR sounds, I am using the excellent GE soundset by Devyn Silverstein, available here at the library. Today, I decided to try another sound set, a payware GE soundset which was in fact made for another aircraft (B767). Just for kicks. And because it really sounds great on the Level-D B767. I know, I know, I just wanted to try it, ok? :( Well, here I am, cruising at 36000 feet on an All Nippon flight from Naha to Kai Tak and I am really miserable. It's just not working! A b747, the Queen of the skies, purring like some small kitten? Yuck... :( I can't wait to finish this flight and change the sounds back!Just reached TOD, the engines spooled back, oh gawd, this is even worse now.... according to my FS Flight Keeper database I have 680 hours on the B742 alone and this, by God, is the most miserable flight of them all. :( With the abundance of excellent freeware sound sets here in the library and some quality payware stuff, there truly is no need to settle for something like this. Yes, the engine sound is very important, at least in my book. Regards,JureP.S.: Can you tell that the old lady is my favourite aircraft? B)

Hi, Yes, the engine sound is very important, at least in my book. Regards,Jure
-------------------------Got an old stereo amplifier? Try bolting a sub woofer speaker to the frame of your sim chair and then also get the vibes through the arm rests and your elbows !!!! Even a deaf passenger can tell when engine start occurs.Alex Reid

Hi,lately I've been flying the good ol' RFP B747-200/100 a lot (again), a Posky/RFP merge, actually, and everything is working like a dream. Besides the magnificent PW sounds that come with the RFP package and a freeware RR sounds, I am using the excellent GE soundset by Devyn Silverstein, available here at the library. Today, I decided to try another sound set, a payware GE soundset which was in fact made for another aircraft (B767). Just for kicks. And because it really sounds great on the Level-D B767. I know, I know, I just wanted to try it, ok? :( Well, here I am, cruising at 36000 feet on an All Nippon flight from Naha to Kai Tak and I am really miserable. It's just not working! A b747, the Queen of the skies, purring like some small kitten? Yuck... :( I can't wait to finish this flight and change the sounds back!Just reached TOD, the engines spooled back, oh gawd, this is even worse now.... according to my FS Flight Keeper database I have 680 hours on the B742 alone and this, by God, is the most miserable flight of them all. :( With the abundance of excellent freeware sound sets here in the library and some quality payware stuff, there truly is no need to settle for something like this. Yes, the engine sound is very important, at least in my book. Regards,JureP.S.: Can you tell that the old lady is my favourite aircraft? B)
I know what you mean, I have my personal 742 set, on my site if I remember well, PM me is not found.

Wholeheartedly agree re sounds - my pet peeve is the tendency to make internal engine sounds too loud, like the default 737 - a turbofan at each ear in glorious stereo :( Devyn Silverstien is my overall favorite freeware sound man.

Regards,

Mark

Alex: what an interesting idea... will try that one of these days; I believe there is an old amp skulking around my house somewhere. Johan: thanks for the link, you just sent you a PMMark: hah, I turn up the sound so loud sometimes I can't hear myself. Especially TSS' JT8D soundpack going at full reverse is something which needs to be experienced at proper sound levels. :)Regards,Jure

Alex: what an interesting idea... will try that one of these days; I believe there is an old amp skulking around my house somewhere. Johan: thanks for the link, you just sent you a PMMark: hah, I turn up the sound so loud sometimes I can't hear myself. Especially TSS' JT8D soundpack going at full reverse is something which needs to be experienced at proper sound levels. :)Regards,Jure
Depending on the airplane of course, in a 747 you can hear the engines spool up, but after that its all the wind you hear.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ckQIT71JfM

Actually, as usual I was too succinct, what I meant is I want realistic cockpit sound - so if they roar in real life, cool, but if not.... :( With the greatest respect to our fine freeware authors, too many sound sets have unrealistic (cockpit) engine sound levels from startup to shutdown. Not to mention loudly whirring flaps, screeching touchdown sounds etc. Far as possible I just want what the pilot hears in a particular aircraft type, no more, no less. What can I say, high end payware has spoiled me :(

Regards,

Mark

Guest belga1

Hello,

Actually, as usual I was too succinct, what I meant is I want realistic cockpit sound - so if they roar in real life, cool, but if not.... With the greatest respect to our fine freeware authors, too many sound sets have unrealistic (cockpit) engine sound levels from startup to shutdown. Not to mention loudly whirring flaps, screeching touchdown sounds etc.
No possible to make some corrections by ajusting the settings in the sounds options of FS2004 ?Seem's its possible to a certain extend.More time consuming .. with some sound freeware(s) editing proggies .. you can edit the sound volume of the sound files concerned for fulfill your personnals requirementsRegards.bye.gif

Hello,No possible to make some corrections by ajusting the settings in the sounds options of FS2004 ?Seem's its possible to a certain extend.More time consuming .. with some sound freeware(s) editing proggies .. you can edit the sound volume of the sound files concerned for fulfill your personnals requirementsRegards.bye.gif
As an ingenious complete fool myself :( I used to do this a lot, but I've gotten lazy now. Not much desire left for tweaking anymore, and sounds are the hardest to get just right. And no I'm not motivated to get Fs Sound studio either - just want to install and fly now.

Regards,

Mark