Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

Some Basic VATSIM Questions

Guest dakrisht

Hey Everyone,I'm looking into using VATSIM since it seems to offer a great live-ATC experience for FSX.I do have some basic questions and would appreciate some questions from VATSIM users.1) For a long-haul flight (LAX-ZRH) does VATSIM offer flight following like in real-world flying?2) Does VATSIM offer IFR flight following?3) If I'm coming into LAX, for example, will VATSIM controllers give me vectors to final, clearance to land etc? Will they ask me to "Contact Tower on xxx.xx" for example?4) Can I take off from an airport, LAX for example, without a flight plan and contact a various airport for landing clearance with VATSIM?Just some basics, hope to start flying with VATSIM pilots/controllers soon!Thanks!

1) For a long-haul flight (LAX-ZRH) does VATSIM offer flight following like in real-world flying?
Yes, ofcourse, thatswhy vatsim does it for :) VATSIM's main goal is simulated real life aviation in virtual skies.Additional information; in such as theese long haul flights, you have to be in cockpit during your flight. Becouse you shouldn't know when you enter controlled airspace and you have to response ATC calls in 30minutes. It means you can't leave cockpit more than 30minutes. I can answer if you have more question about that
2) Does VATSIM offer IFR flight following?
yes, VATSIM provide IFR and VFR flights, but all route informaiton in pilot responsible. You can find IFR routes from VROUTE or the most populer web site;http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/
3) If I'm coming into LAX, for example, will VATSIM controllers give me vectors to final, clearance to land etc? Will they ask me to "Contact Tower on xxx.xx" for example?
Controller will be handover to next ATC facilites if available. So if TWR is online, yes controller will give instruction about contact tower. (actually controller does not ask to "contact tower", just gives instruction about what you have to do)Vectoring is prefreable options, controller can give vectors or requests flight following by your IFR plan route. In depends on your ability (or possibility) or traffic flow.before you flight I strongly advise,visit your departure and destination airport's countries VACC and get charts.
4) Can I take off from an airport, LAX for example, without a flight plan and contact a various airport for landing clearance with VATSIM?
always prefer, all pilots must be fill a valid flightplan except VFR flghts in USA (but if you fill a flightplan for VFR flight it would be good also it shows of your pilot skill and helps for controllers that we know where you fly from /to)if there is no active controller, you can takeoff without flightplan but usually a supervisor would be awarn you about fill a flightplan in air (while you are flying). If there is acative controller, you can't takeoff without a fligtplan already :)you can change your flight plan while flying, there is no problem.if you are out of controlled space, you have to set your comm frequency on 122.80 unicom. (controller will be say to you when you out of his airspace. Reverse, when you start your flight there shouldn't be active controller, so you have to on UNICOM channel and chekc active controller list sometimes,when controller is online you have to switch on his channel. also controller when to be online, he will be call you with" contact with me "private message, at that time you can switch his channel. if your destination airport is out of controlled airspace, you don't need to get clereance from anyone, after your left controlled airspace, all navigation in pilot discretion (on unicom channel and you have to be announce your position when necessary)VATSIM is a simple mirror of real life aviation.Ofcourse there are some little differents by "electronic-computer-virtual" reasons. But basicly, all procedures almost the same as in real life, espacially navigation principles. VATSIM is a good chance to learn about flying, aviation regulations, aviation pharesologie at your home as basic level.Do not compare with real life and always remember we are playing this game in home computers not in 50millon$ commercial airliner :))search internet web pages about how to fly in vatsim guides. you will find a lot of documents in various VACC and simulation web pages.good luck

Here's a few more words on filing a flight plan. There are many websites out there that provide either simulated routes (VRoute or FSBuild, for example), or actual, real world routes (eg: Flightaware.com). Learn how to file a FP. Don't worry about it being exactly correct, as the controller will suggest modifications if necessary. I control (virtually) in Atlanta, and reroutes are normal. DO NOT, however, file a "direct" flight plan. It WILL be rejected. I've seen FP's from KATL to places like RJAA (Tokyo) and EDDF (Frankfurt) filed "direct". Major airports have certain departure routes which get you out of the terminal area while separating you from arrival aircraft. It's important that you learn how to do this.By the way....if you dont know how to file an "RNAV" route (or if your aircraft isnt capable of flying it), file a non-RNAV FP. It is perfectly acceptable, and doesn't make you "less of a pilot". Whenever I'm controlling, I'll see someone depart on an RNAV route, and then not fly it correctly. Drive us controllers crazy!!!Enjoy the virtual skies.Ron

Guest Bill72pa

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question: is Vatsim free?