Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

ATC Alternatives/Add-Ons

Guest dakrisht

What are some ATC add-ons/alternatives to the monotone MS ATC in FSX?I know of VATSIM which is real-time ATC with VATSIM controllers, but what else is available to enhance the FSX experience?Thanks!!

What are some ATC add-ons/alternatives to the monotone MS ATC in FSX?I know of VATSIM which is real-time ATC with VATSIM controllers, but what else is available to enhance the FSX experience?Thanks!!
Radar Contacthttp://www.jdtllc.com/products.htm

For what it's worth, I have Pro Flight Emulator, VOX ATC and Radar Contact on my system, and have used all three.PFE is very good for having regional accents appropriate to where you are in the world. However it's a new front-end bolted onto an older FS2004 package, so installation, updates, and generation of flight plans all gets a bit clunky and cumbersome. I've also found that it gives me dodgy vectors onto the localiser intercept.VOX ATC is good for having voice input and response, but it's very eccentric in some areas. For example, do you ever get an ATC clearance "Climb and maintain 11,300"? It also generates its own AI traffic, a problem if you prefer your own MyTraffic or Ultimate Traffic or whatever.I always come back to Radar Contact. It's solid, dependable and realistic. There are of course things that RC users would like to see changed or added, but there's a good dialogue with the developer about what's going into the next version.

Petraeus

Guest dakrisht

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll check out Radar Contact and take it from there!

Is there a demo for Radar Contact? I'd like to try it but not spend 44 bucks right away... I'm a RW controller so I want to know if this will meet my needs.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is there a demo for Radar Contact? I'd like to try it but not spend 44 bucks right away... I'm a RW controller so I want to know if this will meet my needs.
There's no demo, but you can find the complete documentation at http://www.jdtllc.com/documentation.htmThe Version 4 manual explains what the controller does at each stage of flight, so you'll be able to compare it with the RW.

Petraeus

You might want to try out Multi Crew Experience, it adds a co-pilot you can talk to, plus ground personnel and cabin crew, who you can talk to as well. The co-pilot can work the controls for you via your voice commands and can also handle ATC for you. It will let you talk to ATC yourself if you prefer to do it personally rather than have the co-pilot do it for you. You can also control the FS interface with it via voice (works in both FSX and FS9) - free demo here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You might want to try out Multi Crew Experience, it adds a co-pilot you can talk to, plus ground personnel and cabin crew, who you can talk to as well. The co-pilot can work the controls for you via your voice commands and can also handle ATC for you. It will let you talk to ATC yourself if you prefer to do it personally rather than have the co-pilot do it for you. You can also control the FS interface with it via voice (works in both FSX and FS9) - free demo here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Al
Alan, the OP was asking for an alternative to the default ATCMulti Crew Experience is not an alternative ATC addon, it just uses the unrealistic default ATC engine

For what it's worth, I have Pro Flight Emulator, VOX ATC and Radar Contact on my system, and have used all three.PFE is very good for having regional accents appropriate to where you are in the world. However it's a new front-end bolted onto an older FS2004 package, so installation, updates, and generation of flight plans all gets a bit clunky and cumbersome. I've also found that it gives me dodgy vectors onto the localiser intercept.VOX ATC is good for having voice input and response, but it's very eccentric in some areas. For example, do you ever get an ATC clearance "Climb and maintain 11,300"? It also generates its own AI traffic, a problem if you prefer your own MyTraffic or Ultimate Traffic or whatever.I always come back to Radar Contact. It's solid, dependable and realistic. There are of course things that RC users would like to see changed or added, but there's a good dialogue with the developer about what's going into the next version.
HiNot affiliated with PFE in any way but...Saying that PFE is just a new front-end bolted onto an old package does not really do the package justice. The only stage where you see the old proflight 2000 interface is in the initial flight plan creation screen, where the flight plan is compiled into a form that PFE understands. Besides, I don't know when you last tried the program, but it has been tremendously updated during the past year.It does pretty much the same things, and more, that RC does. Some of the things that just can't be replaced are regional accents, VFR support and oceanic procedures - PFE does all of those.In addition, what I particularily like is that has updates, feature additions and fixes coming up almost monthly based on user feedback, contra RC which has a development cycle of years between versions.Did I mention PFE also has a full refund policy?

What are some ATC add-ons/alternatives to the monotone MS ATC in FSX?
If the monotone voices are your main problem, I'd stay away from ATC-addons. Those addons will give you more realistic ATC in terms of how they handle approaches and so on, but what I have HEARD so far from for instance Radar Contact sounds far from realistic: you are clearly listening to joined samples... It really does NOT sound like someone is really talking to you. It sounds very computerized. I find the default ATC a LOT more realistic and enjoyable when it comes to the audio part.However, when it comes to the instructions and possibilities, that's a complete other story

Alan, the OP was asking for an alternative to the default ATCMulti Crew Experience is not an alternative ATC addon, it just uses the unrealistic default ATC engine
The original poster asked for 'add-ons/alternatives' (note the: / in their question) i.e they were asking for ATC add-ons and/or alternatives.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Saying that PFE is just a new front-end bolted onto an old package does not really do the package justice. The only stage where you see the old proflight 2000 interface is in the initial flight plan creation screen, where the flight plan is compiled into a form that PFE understands. Besides, I don't know when you last tried the program, but it has been tremendously updated during the past year.
I didn't use the word 'just', but do acknowledge that it is updated more frequently than Radar Contact. With RC the new stuff comes infrequently but all at once, whereas with PFE it's a more continuous process.What I didn't mention about PFE, and which is nice, is the taxi guidance - better than the FSX default, and RC doesn't have it at all in the current version.

Petraeus