Sign in to follow this  

I am considering upgrading my graphics card from an 8800GTS 640Mb to a GTX260. My other PC specs are C2Q 9550 @ 3.6GHz4Gb RamVista x6422" Samsung @ 1680x1050Can someone tell me if I would notice any improvement in FSX. I don't suppose that I would see a dramatic increase in FPS but would it run smoother or be able to run better at higher graphic settings.Any comments would be welcome.ThanksPhil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

I am considering upgrading my graphics card from an 8800GTS 640Mb to a GTX260. My other PC specs are C2Q 9550 @ 3.6GHz4Gb RamVista x6422" Samsung @ 1680x1050Can someone tell me if I would notice any improvement in FSX. I don't suppose that I would see a dramatic increase in FPS but would it run smoother or be able to run better at higher graphic settings.Any comments would be welcome.ThanksPhil
I cant answer about any improvement but I am running the same res as you on a 22" Viewsonic and have no problems at all. I run all sliders max except for water 2x low and I run very dense autogen, cars 8% with UTX AI 59% using ultimate traffic with the jetways turned off via the exit data tweek. I also run nhancer per Nick N's guide. I have the super clocked edition but was able to clock it even higher to the following specs: 691 core clock1512 shader clock1188 Memory clock65 fan speedI am also able to run a 80 TBM with a 80000000 bufferpool as well.I love the card and it will eat up real world weather. Just make sure your PSU can handle it as it takes 2, 6 pin power connectors and I think it wants 30amps on the 12v vrail

Jim Wenham

Guest flyguy1911

I agree with the above poster, but I can tell you that I noticed a HUGE improvement over the 9800GT I had installed. I also am able to get very stable clocks like those mentioned above. Mine are 691/1458/1153. I got the vanilla XFX GTX 260 (core 216). Stock clocks were 574/1242/1000 (I think). With a quick BIOS volt mod, I was able to basically turn a vanilla card into a black edition. I now have my clocks in my BIOS, and the thing runs like a dream. I was worried because I heard NickN talk some smack about the card, but this is one area where I can firmly say that he was wrong. If you are at 1680 res, this thing is the sweet spot for that setup. I also have a Phenom II 940 @ 3.375, which helps a great deal. In fact, I think the card was slightly bottlnecked before I OCed the CPU cause I got noticeable bumps in the GPU scores afterwards. And I am also running Vista x64. The new drivers are a little quirky, but you'll have that and it will be fixed. I say go for it. You WILL see an improvement.

Thanks for your comments they were much appreciated. I bit the bullet and bought a GTX275 instead of the 260 and after running Nhancer with Nick_N's tweaks I have as you suggested noticed a big improvement. Have not had chance to do much flying with it as yet but at my 'test' airport the full screen FPS has gone up quite significantly with the same settings.Thanks for your helpPhil

The person(s) with the nVidia 8800GTS - Which nVidia drivers are you using??Thanks,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

I cant answer about any improvement but I am running the same res as you on a 22" Viewsonic and have no problems at all. I run all sliders max except for water 2x low and I run very dense autogen, cars 8% with UTX AI 59% using ultimate traffic with the jetways turned off via the exit data tweek. I also run nhancer per Nick N's guide. I have the super clocked edition but was able to clock it even higher to the following specs: 691 core clock1512 shader clock1188 Memory clock65 fan speedI am also able to run a 80 TBM with a 80000000 bufferpool as well.I love the card and it will eat up real world weather. Just make sure your PSU can handle it as it takes 2, 6 pin power connectors and I think it wants 30amps on the 12v vrail

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

AlexBefore I upgraded to the GTX275 I tried the following nVidia drivers on the 8800GTS169.25175.16180.43180.48After trying any new drivers I always reverted back to the 175.16 as they seemed to work best on my system.RegardsPhil