hi all,i just assembled my new rig (asus P6t, i7 920, 6GB 1600 ram, GTX 280). i was quite surprised to see what has changed the last 3-4 years. no more serial port? no lpt port either? wow. and only one IDE controller? WOW where have i been the last few years??? i guess it's all SATA these days.speaking of which, this is what i am a little worried about. this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822144160 is my old SATA raptor drive that i use for FSX. i have a dedicated xp/FSX installation on it which has worked well ever since. now i am trying to use the drive with the new computer, but i am having a little bit of trouble doing that.i hooked it up on the SATA 1 port (there are 8) and every now and then when i boot the computer it takes a looooong time to auto detect the drive. this seems to be the case only on #1, when i connect it to #2 it always detects it quickly.i made a fresh installation of xp on another IDE (ATA) hdd because windows would no longer boot with the new hardware. even safe mode did not help because it wouldn't let me install all the drivers.now with the new xp installation (on the IDE drive) the computer is booting and it seems everything works fine. however, i can not access the SATA hdd from that installation. after a while windows told me that it found new hardware (the SATA hdd) but it is not showing in the explorer. i can not access it even though it shows under the hardware devices. it also seems that booting xp takes a lot longer with the SATA drive connected than wihout it.i can't help it but i have a feeling that i may have an issue with the SATA (controller? connectors?) on the motherboard. or has the technoligy changed to an extent where AUTO settings for my almost 4 year old hard drive no longer work? there are plenty of SATA settings in the BIOS (is dated february or march 09) but i have them all on AUTO. the fact that when i connect it to #1 it takes much longer to auto detect the drive makes me think that it might be a motherboard that should go back to the store (remember this is only every other or so boot). that is always quick when connected to #2, but even then i can't access it from windows. it does show in the BIOS, though.hopefully someone can tell me what i might be doing wrong?thank you!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Guest djt01
i hooked it up on the SATA 1 port (there are 8) and every now and then when i boot the computer it takes a looooong time to auto detect the drive. this seems to be the case only on #1, when i connect it to #2 it always detects it quickly.
You do have the WD740GD connected to the #1 port of the Intel ICH10R SATA controller and not the SATA #1 port on the JMicron controller right? ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 1104 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (185.66)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1tyWD VelociRaptor 150GB

You do have the WD740GD connected to the #1 port of the Intel ICH10R SATA controller and not the SATA #1 port on the JMicron controller right?
yes i do have it connected to the correct controller...

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX