Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

Backing up FSX

Guest dakrisht

What's the best way to backup an FSX install?Would simply copying the entire FSX folder and placing it aside be a good backup solution?I know that when FSX crashes sometimes you need to spend hours uninstalling components/add-ons one by one, and re-installing everything, not to mention re-doing settings, config files, hours and hours and hours of pain!!!If I were to copy my FSX folder and FSX crashes, how do you guys restore the sim?Some thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated!Thanks!

The backup strategy can be debated until h*ll freezes over. I quit doing "backups" of anything other than my My Documents folder, and even then I throw those away once I do a new complete Disk Image of my computer. Why just backup your FSX installation?Get an external drive that will hold an entire Disk Image of your hard drive, or better yet, your entire computer if you have multiple drives. External hard drives are cheap now, and so is good Disk Imaging software.By making regular Disk Images of your computer, you can restore EVERYTHING on it all at once. Your entire Operating System, all it's updates you made, all your hardware and software drivers you have updated, and every darn program installed on your computer, with all of THEIR updates you installed also. Plus, all your Registry entries will be put back in the proper places in your Registry.Disk Imaging...it's a whole lot easier than making individual backups of individual programs.

Rick Ryan

What I did is just copy all the files from the DVD's onto my other hard drive, and create a folder, like "FSX install" etc. The install also goes much faster this way.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest dakrisht
The backup strategy can be debated until h*ll freezes over. I quit doing "backups" of anything other than my My Documents folder, and even then I throw those away once I do a new complete Disk Image of my computer. Why just backup your FSX installation?Get an external drive that will hold an entire Disk Image of your hard drive, or better yet, your entire computer if you have multiple drives. External hard drives are cheap now, and so is good Disk Imaging software.By making regular Disk Images of your computer, you can restore EVERYTHING on it all at once. Your entire Operating System, all it's updates you made, all your hardware and software drivers you have updated, and every darn program installed on your computer, with all of THEIR updates you installed also. Plus, all your Registry entries will be put back in the proper places in your Registry.Disk Imaging...it's a whole lot easier than making individual backups of individual programs.
Agreed, disk imaging is the way to go.