Sign in to follow this  
N8015X

USB Turbine?

Hello all,I hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I recall reading online that a developer was making a mini turbine that would plug into a USB port on your PC to emit the smell of kerosene. It looked like a jet nacelle with a fan. Does anyone have the website that will be selling this product? I know it's still in development and there were pictures of it, but I can't find it anymore and thought it was really interesting. A google search doesn't find it for me. Many thanks!Chad

Hello all,I hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I recall reading online that a developer was making a mini turbine that would plug into a USB port on your PC to emit the smell of kerosene. It looked like a jet nacelle with a fan. Does anyone have the website that will be selling this product? I know it's still in development and there were pictures of it, but I can't find it anymore and thought it was really interesting. A google search doesn't find it for me. Many thanks!Chad
I'm pretty sure this was an April fools joke.Check on flightsim.com forums.They even admitted it was a hoax.Ron

Ron Service

There are/were a few companies working on that sort of thing, aromajet was one I remember for example. You can find most of these things by doing a Google search on the generic name for that sort of thing, which is 'digital scent technology'.I'd have called it something much more snazzy, such as 'laserstench', 'turbowhiff' or perhaps 'siliconstink'. Personally I think it's going a bit too far and it never really seems to have taken off despite it coming to the fore every once in a while being touted as 'the next big thing in marketing', but it's not as if the cabins of airliners stink of JP4 all the time. Still, each to their own...Just buy a zippo and leave the top open and put it on a radiator and that'll probably do the same thing, you could also simulate a bird strike by headbutting a budgie if you liked. I think I'll call that one 'pollystrike' if I ever market it.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It was posted on the Aerosoft web site as the 1st of April joke... :(

There are/were a few companies working on that sort of thing, aromajet was one I remember for example. You can find most of these things by doing a Google search on the generic name for that sort of thing, which is 'digital scent technology'.I'd have called it something much more snazzy, such as 'laserstench', 'turbowhiff' or perhaps 'siliconstink'. Personally I think it's going a bit too far and it never really seems to have taken off despite it coming to the fore every once in a while being touted as 'the next big thing in marketing', but it's not as if the cabins of airliners stink of JP4 all the time. Still, each to their own...Just buy a zippo and leave the top open and put it on a radiator and that'll probably do the same thing, you could also simulate a bird strike by headbutting a budgie if you liked. I think I'll call that one 'pollystrike' if I ever market it.Al
You made hot tea come out of my nose :(

ChadYou owe us all a beer for that one mate :(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)