Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaskanFactor

No More FpsLimiter For Me Getting Better performance with FSX Limiter

Guest jaskanFactor

SystemVista64 i7920 @3.6Ghz ---fpslimiter locked at 30I recently noticed that using fpslimiter, my framerates start to reduce gradually from 30 at takeoff to about 10 by the time i land.So i saved the flight showing 10fps and restarted, and yes fps was back to 30. So i tried again on couple of flights and noticed that, using fpslimiter, my fps drops gradually over time.Based on the strategy that default fsx fps limiter works best if it does not have to work so hard, i set my fsx limit to 40 fps. Result is Smooth and i get about 34 in vc and 40 in spot view. And no more fps dropping from 30 to 10, during the flight.The overall perfromance locked at 40 in fsx is better than 1 - Using fpslimiter locked at 302 - Using FSX limiter locked at 30.If set to unlimited without lock, i get anything from 20fps on ground to 70 in cruise.The trick seems to be, not to task fsx limiter too much by setting a low frame rate like 30, and not setting it too high so that you get all the stutters.For me it seems 40fps locked in fsx does the trick far better than fps limiter. I suspect its a case of, the less fsx limiter has to force the fps down, the better perforemance you getAnd the lower you lock the fps, the less stutters you get, so its getting the right balance between the two.Also i have now removed the java tasks running in my system, which means more cpu for fsx. (fpslimiter gui is java app)Its very important to mention all the test flights were carried out with PMDG 747, and this plane is known to do very very strange things to FSX, cause its so very demanding. And i am convinced the plane is got some memory leaks in its code. So might explain why fps was dropping graduALLY OVER TIME using fps limiter.I never had this issue with fps limiter on my old dualcore system, but then fps limiter does not do much for mid to low range systems anyway.Verdict, try setting a frame rate of 40 in fsx, only if your system would go above 40 if set to unlimited. AResult in my system is am getting around 34 average.

For me it seems 40fps locked in fsx does the trick far better than fps limiter. I suspect its a case of, the less fsx limiter has to force the fps down, the better perforemance you getAnd the lower you lock the fps, the less stutters you get, so its getting the right balance between the two.Also i have now removed the java tasks running in my system, which means more cpu for fsx. (fpslimiter gui is java app)
Have a look at the Windows Task Manager while flying...One of the biggest benefits of the fps limiter, on my system, is that Core0 runs at only about 60%, whereas the FSX fps limiter runs Core0 at 100% all the time.I tried your fps = 40 setting and again find Core0 pegged at 100%... so for me, back to the fps limiter set at 30. :( Q6600 at 3.2GHz.

Bert

Also i have now removed the java tasks running in my system, which means more cpu for fsx. (fpslimiter gui is java app)
BTW... the Java GUI is only used during setup... not when running FSX.

Bert

Guest jaskanFactor
Have a look at the Windows Task Manager while flying...One of the biggest benefits of the fps limiter, on my system, is that Core0 runs at only about 60%, whereas the FSX fps limiter runs Core0 at 100% all the time.I tried your fps = 40 setting and again find Core0 pegged at 100%... so for me, back to the fps limiter set at 30. :( Q6600 at 3.2GHz.
By now we are all used to the fact that, strange enough some things work on some pc's and on some it does the opposite. However, on my system i was having a particular problem with fpslimiter, which i think i have heard only one other person complain about. I start a flight on ground at 30 fps, and by the time i come to land some time later the fps has dropped to 10 or less. If i save the flight and restart fsx, still using fpslimiter, the same flight gives 30 fps. So for some reason the fps degrades over time. Could be my pmdg that is to blame.-----That Aside-----------This is what made me investigate alternative to fpslimiter. With Buffer pools at 400 000 000 on nvidia 285 gtx. The result is far better than i ever got with fps limiter, even when it was working properly.As for the Java GUI, you need java installed when using the GUI, but having java installed means thier are now two java tasks that are always starting with the pc at boot up, regardless of if you using java gui or not. This machine is only for fsx, and the fewer tasks that appear in task manager the better.Again like any fsx tweak, its bound to work for some pc's and fail on others.----------------The key point i am making is this. --------------------------FSX limiter, by the mere fact of trying to keep a lid on your fps takes up more cpu resources. Cause the limiter is probably badly written code.But what i have found is, If you using high end pc, then setting fps limit to 40 instead of 30 means there is less work for fsx limiter to do, hence you get better performance, cause fsx limiter is not running as much as if your fps limit was 30. Infact am gona try setting my fps limit to 45. Cause setting it to 40 i get average of 29 i vc, and 35 in spot view. By setting fsx limit to 45, means the fsx lmiter would have to kick in less often.The less often fsx limiter needs to kick in and limit your fps, the less of your cpu it takes up.And ofcourse for those times when your fps is well below limit, fsx limiter is doing nothing. Again i think only those with high end pc's will benefit from this, for example if your unlimited fps swings from 22fps on the ground to 70fps at cruise.If your system is struggling to keep 25 in unlimited, you not likelly to benefit setting fsx limit to 40, but same principle holds, so its just finding the right number for your system.Its about setting the fsx limit closer to your upper unlimited fps limit, so that fsx limiter has less work to do. Cause fsx limiter takes up some of your cpu.As for core 0 running at 60%, i think the only advantage of this is less heat, but i got so many fans in my pc, i had to make improvised exhaust to direct the air away from my desk. Again Like Any Other Tweak, It could behave differently on each system.*****************************FSX.CFG BELOW[JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=255 //My i7 hyperthreading is ON[bUFFERPOOLS]PoolSize=400000000[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=0UISound=0AmbientUI=0PrimaryDevice={9AB10796-3003-409A-B303-50BE2A3C2440}VoiceDevice={B021E330-553A-4326-888D-A98B56259540}SOUND_FADER1=0.500000SOUND_FADER2=0.500000SOUND_FADER3=0.500000SOUND_FADER4=0.500000AmbientUIMusic=FSX01[Display]ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoOverspeedEnable=TrueBLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=41WideViewAspect=True[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscMaximized=2Location=120,100,1160,880,\\.\DISPLAY1HideMenuNormal=0HideMenuFullscreen=1ProcSpeed=7271PerfBucket=7SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\TrafficX[PANELS]IMAGE_QUALITY=1DEFAULT_VIEW=0QUICKTIPS=1PANEL_OPACITY=100PANEL_MASKING=1PANEL_STRETCHING=1UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=1.000000WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1DynamicWeather=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=8DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8THERMAL_VISUALS=0[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285.0]Mode=1280x1024x32Anisotropic=1AntiAlias=1[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=Standardforce_master_gain=10000force_stick_force_enabled=1force_stick_shaker_enabled=1force_gear_bump_enabled=1force_crash_enabled=1force_ground_bumps_enabled=1KBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64[TextInfo.1]AltitudeAgl=1,1Altitude=1,2VerticalSpeed=1,3Airspeed=1,4TrueAirspeed=1,5Heading=1,6WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,7FrameRate=2,1AverageFrameRate=2,2FuelPercentage=2,3[TextInfo.2]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[TextInfo.3]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2GForce=1,3FuelPercentage=1,4[TextInfo.4]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2GForce=2,3FuelPercentage=2,4[slewTextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5[slewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[slewTextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3IMAGE_QUALITY=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432D3D10=0DirtyRegionUpdateLimit=1000MergeDirtyRegionUpdates=1[uSERINTERFACE]PageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1Map_Orientation=2ShowAllACPaintSchemes=0SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=All[ATC]ShowATCText=1COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BCOMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1UsePilotVoice=1PilotVoice=0[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=0[sCENERY]LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=3[TrafficManager]AirlineDensity=28GADensity=26FreewayDensity=27ShipsAndFerriesDensity=25LeisureBoatsDensity=28IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=2SmallPartRejectRadius=4[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=48MESH_RESOLUTION=20TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=4[AContain]ShowLabels=1ShowUserLabel=0ShowLabelManufacturer=1ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelAirline=0ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelFlightPlan=0ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelHeading=0LabelDelay=1000LabelColor=FFFF0000[iNTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=1MEASURE=0[REALISM]PFactor=1.000000Torque=1.000000GyroEffect=1.000000CrashTolerance=1.000000General=1.000000UnlimitedFuel=FalseTrueAirspeed=FalseAutoCoord=FalseRealMixture=FalseStressDamage=FalseGEffect=TrueManualLights=FalseGyroDrift=FalseCrashWithDyn=FalseCrashDetection=FalseAutoTrim=False[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1[sTARTUP]DEMO=0SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1STARTUP_DEMO=LoadWindow=1[FACILITIES]COUNTRY=STATE=CITY=GTL_BUTTON=1322[Misc]Com_Rate=7[Trusted]D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll.qewoonawocerehtqaliwlahqnnhweczhnihchwqq=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll.ehallwtrwizkrwhcnicheqwhwkcoleiihzieaehl=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll.zqztlelwncqlhktnwuqiawoiibqwnazrlqzowoqz=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_747400_Main.DLL.ehnqqwrchaqiaalaiblwrhhboqtbwzlqkanotlce=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_747400_ACS.DLL.iawwiukezzlnuctqwezazrunaocnbklehiqheibz=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_747400_Overhead.DLL.urchilbktzzrwthceikebkkczacunoctanqoocwa=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_747400_Center.DLL.cqotwhcntzewbcncttbnthwaattowownzkkaczkw=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addons\AIRound\AIRound.dll.cuqcbnutzinrhnewuqteeritttqcwzubcoiktbrh=1D:\FS Recorder for FSX\RecorderFSX.dll.loqbuanqlbnlbtukklklzckteroaniqourbibqwz=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FsPassengers\bin\fspassengersx.dll.cbiqcizcqlkiuhctqkkzlwnoirakhnbaawluzwoq=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.nkauuecaqnwbeunurahhuwiaaqktclthkcqoirwq=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll.qzizucbbeblcroqicbuerbqakbetoclubcrrllnq=1D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FsPassengers\bin\FsPassengersMini.DLL.qeucnthtanoqqqncrzqtknoauiczeawrrzbhrtot=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_MD11.DLL.oczrbalblrichniqcutwqtbqhbrurihkitruehbe=2D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_MD11_ACS.DLL.wwqieznneeclhwqewauotbikralqkweukwwhkrei=2[TrafficExplorer]Placement=0,2,-32000,-32000,-1,-1,2,590,1293,1016CID=1,64FileNumber=1,40FilePath=0,100Key=1,64TailNumber=1,56Type=1,47Airline=1,100FlightNumber=1,50IFR_VFR=1,40From=1,45ETD=1,62To=1,45ETA=1,62State=1,60TouchAndGo=1,40AirportIdent=1,45RunwayIdent=1,45ParkingSpaceName=1,45Radius=1,45ParkingTypes=1,45ParkingCodes=1,45SortOrder=13,0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,16,17,18,19,20ColumnOrder=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[MULTIPLAYER]condAccoutPassword=0

Im running the limiter on my system and have never seen the FPS drop over time. I more or less stay at 30 sometimes higher at FL using LevelD 767-300. Maybe your VC is heating up too much over time?

Jim Wenham

Guest jaskanFactor
Im running the limiter on my system and have never seen the FPS drop over time. I more or less stay at 30 sometimes higher at FL using LevelD 767-300. Maybe your VC is heating up too much over time?
I have not been bothered to try with another aircraft, but i suspect the problem is to do with my new pmdg 747. The amount of crashes and memory issues i have been getting with this aircraft means i wount put it past it. Cause i used to use fps limiter on my dual core system and never had this problem. Though the pmdg has been much better since i followed pmdg FAQ advice to spend a whole week resintalling all fsx, making sure to install pmdg right after service packs but before any other addon. However, my policy is, the fewer addons, and tweaks i need to get my fsx right for me the better. Means less work if i have to reinstall. So when i tried a flight with fsx limiter at 40 and was getting an average of smooth 35 throughtout the flight, i dumped fpslimiter, cause even when fpslimiter was working properly, it did not do better than that. Infact things move much faster, and with same smoothness i got from fpslimiter.HOWEVER VERY IMPORTANT TO MENTION THAT FSX LIMITER SET AT 30 IS WORSE THAN FPSLIMITER SET AT 30. BUT FSX LIMITER AT 40 HAS SENT MY FPSLIMITER TO RECYCLE BIN.Its not impposible that the smoothness i am getting with fsx limiter is to do with bufferpools at =[400 000 000]But its a heads-up for anyone looking to alternative to fpslimiter. Trick is not to task fsx limiter to much, by setting a limit closer to the top of fps you can acheive. Cuase people usually set 25 or 30. I saying give 40 and 45 a try with fsx limiter. Cause that way the fsx limiter got less work to do keeping fps down. But this will only work for those whose fps goes some way above 40-45 in unlimited fps fsx setting. I am yet to try this with less demanding aircraft like default fsx stuff, but so far test with pmdg have been very good. But if defualt aircraft should not be as smooth as pmdg tests. Then fpslimter is coming back. So ill keep it one step away from recycle bin for now.

Considering that a slow fr drop is a result that would be well noted, I suspect that your articular system configuration is the culprit rather than the limiter. Since you've found a workaround, it's a moot point but if you're curious, I'd start looking at add-ons, possibly a gauge.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest jaskanFactor
Considering that a slow fr drop is a result that would be well noted, I suspect that your articular system configuration is the culprit rather than the limiter. Since you've found a workaround, it's a moot point but if you're curious, I'd start looking at add-ons, possibly a gauge.
This is the second machine on which i am using fpslimiter, and never had this problem till i recently purchased pmdg 747.1 - Dont quote me, but i seriouslly suspect its either pmdg 747 causing the problem, though i ahve not tried on another plane.2 - Or it could be those f10 - f11 keys used by fpslimiter to increase-decrease fps in the game. I got my default views still on this keys, and i never bothered to change them cause they did not seem to change fpslimiter setting anyway. But Whn you Go PMDG strange things can happen.I am lazy by default, and still recovering from having to resintstall everything just so my pmdg 747 will stop becoming a trasparent plane everytime i switch to view some AI traffic or return from FSX menus etc.However the result am getting with setting higher fps limit in fsx has discounted fpslimiter performance for my system. I wount be suprised if setting a higher limit in fpslimiter is better than setting a higher limit in fsx.But the principle is, the less work a frames limiter has to do, the less of your cpu the limiter will take up, hence smoother, but faster performance for you.Its like a temperature sensor, set it to start a fan at 20degrees, and the fan will kick in more often than if you set it to kick in at 40degrees. But everytime it kicks in its using your cpu, which you would rather dedicate to FSX performance only.

I looked over your config and noticed a few things.1) What CPU do you have and is it OC'd because my ProcSpeed is double what yours is.2) I would turn OFF Hyperthreading as it does NOTHING for FSX and your CPU temps will go down as well.3) Try bumping you Texture Bandwidth Mult. to 70 from 40 and also try 80

Jim Wenham

Guest jaskanFactor
I looked over your config and noticed a few things.1) What CPU do you have and is it OC'd because my ProcSpeed is double what yours is.2) I would turn OFF Hyperthreading as it does NOTHING for FSX and your CPU temps will go down as well.3) Try bumping you Texture Bandwidth Mult. to 70 from 40 and also try 80
1) What CPU do you have and is it OC'd because my ProcSpeed is double what yours is.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My i7920 is OC'd to 3.6GHz and hyperthreading is ON, so am using affinity mask of 2552) I would turn OFF Hyperthreading as it does NOTHING for FSX and your CPU temps will go down as well.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I have checked, that all 8 cores get used when hyper is on and affnity at 255. Ps send me link that could really convince me to turn hyper off and set affifnity to 15. I see most people got HYper off. But my system is running so smooth, i dont want to change it easily.Please link me any solid info you got on this.3) Try bumping you Texture Bandwidth Mult. to 70 from 40 and also try 80---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What is the reason for this, i know it wount fix the problem i was having with fpslimiter, but am always open to perf increase suggestions.I have read so many threads of folks having issues changing Texture Bandwidth Mult from 40.

Guest Nick_N

I gonna explain this real fast because my time is very limitedConfirmed with a Aces developer.THERE IS NO, none, nada.. hyperthread support in FSX

To tame the Java Runtime startup processes, perform the following.Start -> Control Panel -> Java (Java icon may be in a "View 32-bit control panel items" subfolder under the Control Panal on x64 systems.In the Java Control Window -> Update Tab -> Uncheck "Check For Updates Automatically" -> Warning Window appears -> click the "Never Check" buttonIn the same Java Control Window -> Advance Tab -> Expand 'Miscellanaeous' -> Uncheck "Java Quick Starter" -> OK (was already grayed-out on my Vista x64 box - but not on my WinXP x64 box) These two steps will prevent the two Java processes from appearing in the Task Manager when booting the box. Just manually check for Java runtime updates every once in a while:Java Control Window -> Update Tab -> 'Update Now' button

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest jaskanFactor
I gonna explain this real fast because my time is very limitedConfirmed with a Aces developer.THERE IS NO, none, nada.. hyperthread support in FSX

Guest Nick_N

1. Remove the Affinty Mask Tweak2. Do not use the FPS Limter 3. Do not use hyperthread4. Tune FSX using this list to as smooth as you can get it: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=290415. If you do not have a >512MB video card do not bother with bufferpools, if you do use the suggestions in the list based on the amount of video memory... and if the card is a 1GB single core card by Nvidia, try anywhere from 100MB ot 450MB for bufferpools however the setting for bufferpools is only going to effect large autogen areas and not something that makes perf everywhere better. The sim must be closed and restarted between edit changes to that valueDual core cards are not treated as such in FSX... they are only treated as SINGLE cards in FSX. Therefore cards like the 295 and the 4870 x2 are 512MB cards to the application and the 2nd core is useless.6. Once you have the sim running as smooth as possible using the list.. THEN try the last 2 items. Try Affinity Mask without the limter tool... it will either be =7 OR =14, one of the two. Sim must be closed and restarted between edits of that value. If a better result is not seen, remove the affinity mask tweak and try the FPS limter and DO be aware you can set the limter to run any frame rate you wish.. 30 is where most find the best however that can be anywhere from 24 to 40 and the in-game slider for frame lock must be set to UNLIMITED with that tool in use.7. You may find both Affinty Mask and the FPS Limter Tool useless to your system for FSX. Lower resource systems and the better i7 systems may both show no positive gain using the FPS Limter tool. It is a try and see tool.good luck