Sign in to follow this  
questy

Selcal

Hi guy,At this moment in time i am flying across the atlantic i have 1 question how do i use the selcal on the md-11 and fsx any help would be greatful colin

Selcal is on the HF radio, right? I didn't know MSFS support anything but VHF comm. Who you gonna talk to?

Dan Downs KCRP

Selcal is on the HF radio, right? I didn't know MSFS support anything but VHF comm. Who you gonna talk to?
Only works on Vatsim or maybe IVAO. To much to go into but I've used it whenever oceanic is online.Rob

Rob Prest

I don't think VATSIM supports SELCAL :( Paul
Trust me.... VATSIM supports the use of SELCAL.... used it quite a bit flying over to Japan and over to Europe FDX706

If you're using FSInn, go into "Settings" where you fill in General Info. Right there is a field called SELCAL, choose your 4 letter code. Then ask Oceanic for a SelCal check, issuing them your code. You will hear it.Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Trust me.... VATSIM supports the use of SELCAL.... used it quite a bit flying over to Japan and over to Europe FDX706
Let me clarify. Vatsim has a pseudo-selcal which requires you to be actively monitoring the frequency if you intend to get the SELCAL chime. It sounds great to hear, but it sort of defeats the purpose of SELCAL, ie, you turn the volume down all the way so you don't hear all the HF noise.Paul

Let me clarify. Vatsim has a pseudo-selcal which requires you to be actively monitoring the frequency if you intend to get the SELCAL chime. It sounds great to hear, but it sort of defeats the purpose of SELCAL, ie, you turn the volume down all the way so you don't hear all the HF noise.Paul
It works well when you are using a USB headset or 2 soundcards. All ATC voice through the headset, SB/FSinn and Flightsim sounds through the Speakers.Take the Headset off, and although the radio is still making noise, it's all through the headset which is now down somewhere out of the way and effectivley unheard.SELCAL alerts, Private Messages, the "Click" sound when text messages are sent on frequency, and the occasional noises SB makes such as frequency dropouts etc, are heard alongside the Aircraft sound.Unfortunatley the "Dial tones" sound comes through Squawkbox and isn't splittable to the Headset/Radio sound device. so you will hear the 2 sine tones of all SELCALS not just the alert message of your own. not 100%, but certainly doesn't defeat the purpose of having Selcal. This of course assumes you have 2 sound devices and aren't fixed to hearing all Flight Sim, squawkbox, windows OS, (MSN whatever else) and voice sounds through the same speakers. If you are there's a way, but it's not easy, and tends to 'pause' your aircraft while it happens. It's going into the menus and literally pulling the "Voice Volume" down to 0%... then turning it back up when you get a SELCAL or are about to make a position report :(It would be a very useful feature to have this feature in a non-menu/tab area of the programs in question so you could change the volume on the fly with a simple click-drag on the main window of SB or FSinn control panel, but alas they didn't do that... and so the USB headset or multiple sound cards idea is the one that works..Check this video of mine to see some SELCAL in action on vatsim (though this is only the Oceanic Clearance/Selcal Test)
Trent

The only thing that runs of my main machine and main speakers is Flight sim itself. Every other app I use runs from two seperate machines, it's handy for Vatsim as during cruise I can unplug my headphones from the second set of speakers and monitor the frequencys, all this is completely independant from all the main fs sounds. Also handy during preflight when you want to monitor ground/tower for any last minute departure changes and dont want the headset strapped to your head.Running a second machine for fs is dirt cheap now, my old company where planning on throwing away all these old machines so I picked up 5 of them and gave 2 away, it means my main machine doesn't need to be connected to the internet all cpu power goes to FS and I have extra monitors for in flight movies on those long haul Pacific hops :( Rob

Rob Prest

Guest chrut

Is there such a thing in the PMDG 747X?

Guest chrut
Is there such a thing in the PMDG 747X?
After reading a bit about SELCAL on a diffrent formum (vatsim.net), I see now how it should be configured in sqwuakbox 4. So it's actually vatsim that supports SELCAL and not the aircraft in itself.