Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaskanFactor

REX Textures + ASA weather = FS11

Guest jaskanFactor

FEX clouds were great, ASA weather is what you need. But since i stood a better chance breaking into the bank vaults of federal reserve than getting a new licence key for my FEX installation on my new PC, i gave up and prucahsed REX.Since trying REX textures with ASA, i have to say , its very nice1 - REX clouds are definatlly not better than FEX, but REX SKY Themes, Airport textures, water, means anybody still using FEX and got the money to REX is missing out. I used to get some really strange sky themes with FEX which i dont with REX. And enough as already been said about the water.2 - ASA weather and multiple cloud layers with REX, may leave you a bit scared in the cockpit cause it lloks much more realistic, so better know how to land that thing before getting it up in the air.3- I heard before about how nice it is to use REX textures with ASA weather and thought, hmmm too complicated. But It works like this3a - Aftter installing REX, disablle the option that says, USE REX WEATHER.3b - Go To REX Themes page and select Themes for cloud, airport, water , sky etc, Or just click random button like i do. Press install so it put this into FSX.3c - When you ready To Fly, Start ASA, and GO See a New FSX World Order.3d - IF one day you get board of current REX textures, just start REX again and select new textures. YOU ONLY NEED DO THIS WHEN YOU WANT NEW TEXTURES , NOT EVERY FLIGHT. I estimate that i do this maybe once in 2 months.Main REX points over FEX1 - Airport textures are really cool2 - No more SKY Themes that make it look like you on mars. I used to get this in FEX when foggy and cold.3 - Water Water Water, I dont do props, just jets, and you can still see it.If forced to choose one set of clouds, i will choose FEX ----------- If forced To choose REX or FEX. Simple its REX.I dont like having too many addons, so i dont purchase things that dont have global effect, so i cant be bothered to go through trouble of FEX clouds with everythinng else from REX. REX clouds are still cool. Still Far Better Than default FSX clouds. And arguably on same level as FEX. But ASA weatther Beats all competition. The multiple cloud layers are great. Somebody has complained about ASA windirection being wroung at FL370 EAst coast USA, but I DONT CARE. Just in for the eye candy.

Guest FlyingBits

Got any pix? It would help to see. Thanks

Got any pix? It would help to see. Thanks
If you mean ASA with REX pics, here are some:ScreenHunter_26Feb192024.jpgScreenHunter_11Feb192007.jpgScreenHunter_23Jan170358.jpgScreenHunter_30Mar130034.jpgNumber 3 is in windowed mode because it was from a multiplayer session using FSHost.ASA and REX won't let you down. But, as was said before, FEX clouds are also very good. And i like FEX sky themes also. But the water makes the difference.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest santiagoluib3

Both FEX/REX clouds are great... but IMO they share a common visual "anomaly", especially the cumulus. Since the clouds are photographed textures, taken on different times of day, the highlights and shadows are fixed, irregardless of where the sim sun is which makes it a little unrealistic IMO. For example, look at the first photo: There are two main puffs of cumulus clouds. The one on the left has the highlights on the right, giving you the impression that the light source (sun) is on the right. However, the puff on the right has its strong highlights on top and a little to its left, giving the impression that the sun is above it and a little to the left. Both "highlights" however, are yet irrespective of the sim world's sun location.Don't get me wrong, they both are great!! It's just me of course, but if you care to stare to admire these beautiful clouds, there is just a bit of inconcistency, as different cloud textures have different highlights/shadows orientation. It would be nice if all cumulus cloud textures used at one time would be "synched" so that the highlight/shadows of the rtextures are consistent, even if they dont correspond to where the sim sun is ;) Secondly, since ALL cloud textures are flat, they are all orientated to the player's point of view. That means the textures ALWAYS face you - the player. If you fly past a nearby cloud you notice them rotate as you pass by, because there is no "other side" of the cloud, just the same face :) It looks a little weird when an overhead (or underneath) cloud whirls (rotates) as you pass by it :( Just my .2 cents.... no pun intended. :)

Guest jaskanFactor
Both FEX/REX clouds are great... but IMO they share a common visual "anomaly", especially the cumulus. Since the clouds are photographed textures, taken on different times of day, the highlights and shadows are fixed, irregardless of where the sim sun is which makes it a little unrealistic IMO. For example, look at the first photo: There are two main puffs of cumulus clouds. The one on the left has the highlights on the right, giving you the impression that the light source (sun) is on the right. However, the puff on the right has its strong highlights on top and a little to its left, giving the impression that the sun is above it and a little to the left. Both "highlights" however, are yet irrespective of the sim world's sun location.Don't get me wrong, they both are great!! It's just me of course, but if you care to stare to admire these beautiful clouds, there is just a bit of inconcistency, as different cloud textures have different highlights/shadows orientation. It would be nice if all cumulus cloud textures used at one time would be "synched" so that the highlight/shadows of the rtextures are consistent, even if they dont correspond to where the sim sun is ;) Secondly, since ALL cloud textures are flat, they are all orientated to the player's point of view. That means the textures ALWAYS face you - the player. If you fly past a nearby cloud you notice them rotate as you pass by, because there is no "other side" of the cloud, just the same face :) It looks a little weird when an overhead (or underneath) cloud whirls (rotates) as you pass by it :( Just my .2 cents.... no pun intended. :)
Lets put things in perspective, REX+ASA is vastly suprior to what you get in default FSX. Maybe FS11 will meet the higher standards you mention.

Guest santiagoluib3

I agree with you. I have both, and love them :) I couldn't imagine playing FSX with the default sky/clouds. I am just citing some "limitations" the way I see it in both. Oh well, hopefully future versions (if there is) will be in higher standards as you mention.On a side note, it's worth mentioning that a program as old as IL-2 has implemented real volumetric 3D clouds WITH shadows... but that's another story.cheers.

Secondly, since ALL cloud textures are flat, they are all orientated to the player's point of view. That means the textures ALWAYS face you - the player. If you fly past a nearby cloud you notice them rotate as you pass by, because there is no "other side" of the cloud, just the same face :) It looks a little weird when an overhead (or underneath) cloud whirls (rotates) as you pass by it :(
I've noticed the problem too. Is this effect only to be seen by using REX or is it a problem of REX and FEX?Patric

Guest santiagoluib3
I've noticed the problem too. Is this effect only to be seen by using REX or is it a problem of REX and FEX?Patric
It is an FSX limitation. And both REX/FEX (even the defaults) share this phenomenon. Think of them as flat photographs. You cant view them on the side, neither behind. So they have to face you all the time :) FEX/REX clouds are basically a clever interleaving of 2D images to give a 3D "volumetric" illussion. Nevertheless, they look fantastic :) With a little imagination you'd think they're real.

OK, thanks for your answer. Then I will stay with REX and I don't need to install FEX as a second cloud tool.Patric

Guest santiagoluib3
OK, thanks for your answer. Then I will stay with REX and I don't need to install FEX as a second cloud tool.Patric
You can actually use both if you like and choose the items you prefer on either, eg. REX for airport concrete/asphalt and water, FEX for clouds, or a cloud type (cirrus, cumulus)... etc.

You can actually use both if you like and choose the items you prefer on either, eg. REX for airport concrete/asphalt and water, FEX for clouds, or a cloud type (cirrus, cumulus)... etc.
When you already have REX I'd never buy FEX. I own FEX and so I didn't buy REX, but I might do so (depending on that version 2.0 brings). REX offers more than FEX. It's more logical for a FEX owner to buy REX too than the other way around, really... If I'd only own REX I would never ever consider getting FEX too.

Guest 413X3

those screenshots look completely unrealistic, more like a painting than trying to sim real life. the colors are too extreme.

Guest Tingoose

I too have have argued elsewhere about the abovementioned anomaly. I also notice in REX, upside down textures sometimes, so that towering cumulus are actually towering downwards or sideways. I prefer FE in FS9 where cloud textures better blend with the ground textures. Photorealistic cloud textures are too problematic for my tastes.