Sign in to follow this  
Guest kbpilot5

FSX Contrails-Smoke Black

Guest kbpilot5

I am not really sure how this happened but for some reason there's black smoke effects and contrails and they show up black with squares as if my engine was on fire or something. Is this something wrong with my graphics card. I haven't changed my settings but this started happening. Thanks for the help.

What are your system specs?It looks like a situation that occurs when a graphics card is struggling for some reason.

I had the same. In my case it came from REX contrails (free download). After I changed back to default all was fine again.Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Guest kbpilot5
I had the same. In my case it came from REX contrails (free download). After I changed back to default all was fine again.Harry
I run REX what were you saying about how you can change it back to default?Specs are:Windows Vista 32Dell Inspiron 5302 Duo CPU E65502.33GHz 2CPUs 2.3GHz2GB RamGeForce 8800GT

Guest kbpilot5
I run REX what were you saying about how you can change it back to default?Specs are:Windows Vista 32Dell Inspiron 5302 Duo CPU E65502.33GHz 2CPUs 2.3GHz2GB RamGeForce 8800GT
Ok I replaced my Effects with a new copy my friend sent me and now it works just fine. Thanks for the help.

Guest kennye7888

Can anyone send me a copy of a working contrails file? I have the same problem, and I don't know how to replace the existing one with the default one..thank you...kennye_788@yahoo.com'

Guest Billster8724

Okay, so this same thing is happening to me. Except it's happening with the default smoke effects. This includes clouds, contrails, engine start smoke, touchdown smoke, etc; anything that is supposed to be cloud or smoke. This has been going on for a few days now. I've been looking around and no one seems to have this problem except for kbPilot5. At least you can delete yours and go back. I cannot. Can someone please help me out here. These problems ruining the game. I'm not sure of my computer specs. I know it's a custom built one, and coming up on 4 years old. My graphics card is a Radeon X1300 Series .0. Don't know if that helps much, but that's what I know. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.cheers, Bill

Guest tsunami6789

I am having the same problem, I am going to go through all my fs files and delete all that I have added on. If it fixes it I will repost something.

Guest Billster8724

The problem is now with my lights as well. Even if they are not on, there are flashing squares where the lights should be. Its getting really annoying. I can't get another computer for a while, may just go back to FS9. didn't get a single problem while playing it

Guest Thaellar

I had the same problem. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I solved it by installing FSX on my another computer (don't bother with activation), and then copying all the files beginning with fx_contrail from the effects folder and overwriting the bad ones. Thaellar

That's a bad air/fuel mixte.... :( Real

Real Deraps

Guest Billster8724
I had the same problem. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I solved it by installing FSX on my another computer (don't bother with activation), and then copying all the files beginning with fx_contrail from the effects folder and overwriting the bad ones. Thaellar
I would but I don't have another computer to install it on. I have installed FSX on a computer at someone else's house, maybe I could try copying those and send it to this computer. This computer, however, is on its way out. its coming up on 4 years old now. that may not seem old, but it really isn't meant for fsx, and even its general functions (internet,start menu,etc) are slow to respond. I hope to get a new one soon. don't think that will be happening though until like next year when i have the moneyBill

Well, guys, add me to the team.I have the exact same problem. Black contrails showing up as squares. Exactly as in the picture of kbpilot5 and Billster8724. Can somebody point out as to which effect files are to be substituted? I am no guru with these things and I really don't want to mess it up even more. I really would like to evade a new install or repair, since I got some 3rd party addons installed that are working prettey nicely, besides the contrails. Thanks to anybody for some help. Jito.

Guest Billster8724

I uninstalled Acceleration, and the black textures went away, so I was left with white squares, which was a significantly better, but still really annoying. So, I uninstalled everything, and re-installed FS9, which has never caused me any problems. Better on my system too. However, if you wanted to keep FSX, try what kbPilot5 did, and copy someone else's textures, and paste them into the effects folder, overwriting the old ones.Bill

Thanks for your swift reply.I will try to fool around a little bit when I get home. Maybe install fsx onto my laptop and take the files from there. It is really annoying since this just appeared like over night! I didn