Sign in to follow this  
michal

What's Eating my Free Space? A Windows XP Question.......

"I misspoke...Windows XP is managing my swap file size and it allocated the 767 MB space. I didn't set it manually."I'm sorry, for some odd reason I thought you were running '98--should have looked at your posts more closely.

Guest Hugo

Hi! I just checked my C drive. (Win XP Pro installed april 26 03). There's a folder in there, System Volume Information, with subfolders, RP0, RP1, RP3.....RPxx that seams to grow each day by about 20 meg+/day adding a new RPxx folder. It seams to keep track of every move made on the computer for each day. Could the older ones be remove safely, keeping only the most recent, 2-3 day? I think it is relate to the Restore property of XP.Hugo

Your drive is being eaten alive by XP's system restore - I would turn it off... To turn it off do the following:Right Click My ComputerClick PropertiesClick the System Restore TabChange the setting to your likingIf you need a system restore program check out GoBack by Roxio works great, takes up 10% of your hard drive space by default (it will never seem to "eat" the drive alive, except right after install when it takes its 10% of the pie.) GoBack does a much better job of fixing stuff as well - pays for itself after 1 use...Hope that works for ya!Cpudan80 :) :+

>>said: Hi, Grany, with XP you need only C drive, that's it!!!>Yes, one partition is 'enough' but there are good reasons (apart from book-keeping functions) to keep multiple partitions - HD defragmenting. For example I have my OS on C but FS on D - this way I can defrag D and not worry about *junk* on C ruining my performance on D. D will stay *clean*. Just makes life a tad easier.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg