Sign in to follow this  
Robi77

Problems with FMC Flight Plan

I intend to fly from New York to Boston using FMC datas enter manually into the CDU.Using FSX and the PMDG-747-400 PW.There is no problem with the set up when I use a company route.By doing it manually I never get the LNav armed ( illuminated ).TheVNav is okay.Here is my procedure: ( The F/D are on on both sides )1) After the initializon steps I go to the Route page,then to LEGS and enter all the waypoints.( including the names of the airports,KJFK, KBOS ) At the end I enter KBOS ( Boston airport ) which leads to the message "Route Discontinuity".And from here on I am not sure how to proceed.2) Whatever I do causes problems with the LNav ! The LNav does not illuminate.The VNav does.Like I said I did this many times with a company route without any problemsSpecific questions I have:- Is an airport ( in my case KJFK and KBOS ) considered an a waypoint ?I would appreciate if somebody can suggest what is wrong with myapproach.Thanks

You enter the orig/dest on route page one, not in the flight plan sequence. You can enter the route on the legs page but the best place is on route page 2. For example (KJFK-KBOS is not a good example for a 747 but here we go); MERIT ORW ORW3, in this example you have a departure that consists of vectors, a direct to ORW then a STAR that has vectors to approach:1. Enter KJFK and KBOS on page 12. Go to SIDs and select MERIT3 and your runway3. Enter ORW below MERIT on the route page 2 (INNDY is the equivalent RNAV STAR)4. Go to STARs and select ORW3 and the expected approach.Then go to legs page and put the ND in PLN view and check your route. In this case you will have disconntinuities on departure and arrival because the departure is vectors to MERIT and the arrival is vectors between the STAR and the IAP.If you get a copy of my SIDSTAR collection, I provide routing to MERIT from KJFK for six of the runways and at KBOS I connect the STAR with four of the ILS approaches.There is a lot to be gained by doing the tutorials, which step you through this and all the other details of planning and executing a flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

You enter the orig/dest on route page one, not in the flight plan sequence. You can enter the route on the legs page but the best place is on route page 2. For example (KJFK-KBOS is not a good example for a 747 but here we go); MERIT ORW ORW3, in this example you have a departure that consists of vectors, a direct to ORW then a STAR that has vectors to approach:1. Enter KJFK and KBOS on page 12. Go to SIDs and select MERIT3 and your runway3. Enter ORW below MERIT on the route page 2 (INNDY is the equivalent RNAV STAR)4. Go to STARs and select ORW3 and the expected approach.Then go to legs page and put the ND in PLN view and check your route. In this case you will have disconntinuities on departure and arrival because the departure is vectors to MERIT and the arrival is vectors between the STAR and the IAP.If you get a copy of my SIDSTAR collection, I provide routing to MERIT from KJFK for six of the runways and at KBOS I connect the STAR with four of the ILS approaches.There is a lot to be gained by doing the tutorials, which step you through this and all the other details of planning and executing a flight.
Thanks.Not as easy a I thought but figuring these things out are a part of the fun.- How can I get a copy of your SIDSTAR collection and what do those contain ?- What would be a better example then KFFO/KBOS ? Robe77

Avsim library, use advanced search with author = dan downs then sort by date. current cycle is 0904, you should also have cycle 0904 navdata from navigraph.comTry this route flown by 744's: KATL DOOLY4 GRD J209 SAWED J121 SIE CAMRN4 KJFKThis has a couple of airways to add to the route. DOOLY4 is a RNAV SID so the route from the runway to GRD is included in the procedure. My KJFK CAMRN4 includes connections to all ILS approaches, if wx allows try the East River scenic approach from CAMRN to ILS13L. Nice view of Manhattan.

Dan Downs KCRP

Avsim library, use advanced search with author = dan downs then sort by date. current cycle is 0904, you should also have cycle 0904 navdata from navigraph.comTry this route flown by 744's: KATL DOOLY4 GRD J209 SAWED J121 SIE CAMRN4 KJFKThis has a couple of airways to add to the route. DOOLY4 is a RNAV SID so the route from the runway to GRD is included in the procedure. My KJFK CAMRN4 includes connections to all ILS approaches, if wx allows try the East River scenic approach from CAMRN to ILS13L. Nice view of Manhattan.
Thanks,will try and let you know.

Guest SkullxBones

Take a look at these videos on programming your FMC, they are very well done and will help you get comfortable with it. It's made for the FS9 PMDG 737 but you will be able to duplicated the flight and FMC programming in your 747. There are nine of them in the series, so be sure to find them all.

Jeff P.

I tried.When entering some of the waypoints ( DOOLY4 , J209 , J121 ) I got the FMC message:" Not in database".Which database are they referring to and how can I get it ?Thanks

Guest SkullxBones

Just reread your first post, if the LNAV will not light, make sure you enter the departure runway on the RTE page.Jeff P.

Take a look at these videos on programming your FMC, they are very well done and will help you get comfortable with it. It's made for the FS9 PMDG 737 but you will be able to duplicated the flight and FMC programming in your 747. There are nine of them in the series, so be sure to find them all.
Jeff P.
Thanks.Will do

Thanks.Will do
By the way,thanks to all of you.The problem is solved after I entered the runway of the departure airport.

Is there a database of pilot flight plans with Sids and stars located somewhere on the internet...I am flying freight for FEDEX with the MD-11 and it's very time consuming when I have a schedule to meet...For example a good Star arrival from RPLB to VHHH arriving on 25LMaybe I am too lazy, but it would be helpful...

Bob Adams

Is there a database of pilot flight plans with Sids and stars located somewhere on the internet...I am flying freight for FEDEX with the MD-11 and it's very time consuming when I have a schedule to meet...For example a good Star arrival from RPLB to VHHH arriving on 25LMaybe I am too lazy, but it would be helpful...
RPLB (VIL2A) VILAR B591 TAREM W16 AVMUP A461 NOMAN (NOMA2B) VHHHOK for you? STARS in the brackets. So route is RPLB star (VIL2A) VILAR, via B591 to TAREM, via W16 to AVMUP, via A461 to NOMAN, star (NOMAN2B) to VHHH (25L)Free routes here too by the way - http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ Just remember to tick the boxes.John E

John E.Just let you know the information supplied worked out to a "T"...Perfect flight and excellent landing with the MD-11...I am running FS9 on a dual processor with 3 GB of memory and using ASV6.5 weather engine...Had to make an IFR landing due to fog...Couldn't see the R/W until almost touchdown...A Boeing 737-300 was breathing down on me too...

Bob Adams