Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnny V

do i have to learn another program?

Guest Johnny V

Sorry ahead of time if my questions are nieve, I'm a newbie as far as modding in flight sims. I have just finished my first building for fs9, (Hanger for C5's) in z-modeler and saved to .3ds so I could import to gmax and save to a format with which to make my .bgl's but the textures don't seem to cross with the .3ds file. Is there anyway to import the textures with the building or do I have to learn to do my textures in gmax? (Be kind of a bummer as I've been using z-modeler for quite some time now and have yet to even make a square in gmax.) My second question: I used ExeBuilder V2 to get rid of some things at an airport I'm redoing to reflect the changes made there recently. (Air Guard changed from C130's to C5's) Worked just fine. Now all of a sudden everytime I try to start the program I get this error message. "class not registered you need the following file to be installed on your machine MSSTDFMT.DLL" I've tried placing this file about everywhere I can think of, done the _run_ command line: regsvr....... etc...etc...but have gotten error messages such as: "MSSTDFMT.DLL is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type." for everything I've been told to do to install this file. no luck. :( Any suggestions?

Hi,I am afraid I can only help you with the first part of your question. The 3DS format should support the texture information as well, although it depends on how z-modeler creates the file as well of course. After you import the file into GMax you might want to check if the texture is actually displayed. By default it is not (although all information is there). To display it you need to check the icon with the white-blue checkerboard.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Johnny V

Thank you for the reply Arno. I did come up with another solution for those who may incounter the same problem. You can export from z-modeler in " .X" format which can be used to make your model. Leave it to me to not read through my SDK's. :( At any rate this is what I've been working on. For the airport I'm working on there are two of these hangers with a connecting structure in between. My thoughts are to make one closed as in this screenshot and one open so you can pull in your C5 or any other "big" plane, as I haven't yet progessed to making working hanger doors, and release those as individual hangers as well as the one with the connecting building. The textures in the screenshots are not final and were just a quick texture I put together to experiment with.

Guest Johnny V

While I'm asking questions I may as well spit another one out for some learned opinions. The doors to the hangers I'm working on have kind of roll up/ fold up doors, lots of folds. (see pic). The legs also fold up/back into the hanger. Is it possible to duplicate this action, and how much of a hit would it make on my computer. I am trying to keep the footprint down on the scenery I'm using these in as there are two other airports in this area that I'm going to put add-on scenery in.Thanks for any input/help, Johnny V