Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

what new stuff does fsx have?

i've finally decided that my system can't run fsx. I want to use my heavies at major airports with full traffic and nice clouds, and my computer can't handle it.I'm thinking of going to fs9 because of my framerate problems, but since I jumped straight into fsx I never tried it.Can anybody tell me what features were added in fsx that aren't in fs9? I know FSx introduced missions, but apart from that I don't know the differences.thanks

FS9 is fine for heavies, I use it myself for that quite a lot.The main differences are texture resolution handling improvements (one of the main reasons for FPS struggles), plus a more accurate terrain mesh at an overall higher resolution. FSX also has a better flight model and better air mass modeling, which also improves the representation of flight, but that's largely pertinent to smaller craft than to heavies. There are better multiplayer options in FSX, i.e. you can fly with a buddy in the same aircraft via a LAN or the 'net. There's the default Airbus too but at the expense of the triple seven, although to be honest that's hardly a plus based on the default Airbus' appalling flight model. There's the musical interface, if you are one of the few people who hasn't turned it off of course, and gliding, including winch launching and aerotow capability, and birds and animals wandering about the place, which can also point out where the thermals are if you're into gliding. The database is more current in FSX too, and it can make better use of more modern hardware, although conversely, you can whack all the sliders to the right in FS9 and still have 100 FPS on just a half-decent PC.FS9 is a long way from being dead just yet, especially with a few decent add-ons which can take it up to fairly close to most of what FSX does, and you can't really go wrong for 14 quid can you?Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Can anybody tell me what features were added in fsx that aren't in fs9? thanks
Stutters and what looks like deserts in Poland. :( Just joking, no offence intended.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Stutters and what looks like deserts in Poland. :(
:( :( B) B)

Actually, I was thinking about this the ther day. What DOES FSX provide that FS9 can't? Here's what I can come up with.- 1m Textures- DX10 Preview (I can't even type this with a straight face and having coffee come streaming out of my nose)- Better atmospherics built in. (Or you can stick with FS9 and Activesky)- Simconnect, a FSUIPC replacement built in. (Or simply use FSUIPC!)- More accurate roads built in (We've had Ultimate Terrain for how many years now?)- More accurate terrain mesh built in. (Go to fsgenesis.com and be amazed)- Herds of wilderbeasts and swimming whales (we do NOT have a wilderbeast / swimming whale addon for FS9 unfortunately)- Flocks of pelicans (FS9 is also badly lacking in pelican simulation)- Most of the earth is covered by desert (a popular request by nomadic tribes has finally been fulfilled)- Milky Way is now clearly visible...even over light polluted areas where it is never actually visible! (obviously seeing the Miky Way was a popular request!)- Light Bloom (also never actually seen with the naked eye unless your glasses get fogged up because your wife is yelling in your face to turn off your computer and come to bed)- New Delhi India is now a detailed scenery area. (Been waiting for that since FS1)- Baggage trucks at airports that respond to your aircraft (baggage truck simulation cannot be overstated!)- Moving traffic on roads (Which incidently drive faster than your Cessna 172 can fly!)- Quad Core support, 100% better frame rates, improved ATC, improved Flight dynamics, makes coffee, gives foot massages, walks your dog, reminds you of your wife's birthday.Of course, there's always...XPlane. :(

in a nutshell...go to fs9 and get proper add-ons and its better than FSX for now. You'll be amazed.

it is also a fantastic learning tool on how to tweak a flight simulator program to the extent that you no longer have any time left to fly. :(
That made me spit tea up my nose. Thanks :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest mikeyt

I must say I agree - I am an FS9 user and so far have found NO GOOD REASON to make the switch to FSX...With FS9, and the fantastic range of complex sceneries out there, combined with the high quality aircraft such as the Level-D 767, PMDG 747, and so on, FSX has no place yet on my PC -- one poster above mentioned all the things like herds of elephants, which as far as I'm concerned I couldn't give a stuff about, and even though it is not multi-core aware with a decent newish PC it still does look and perform like the canine's proverbials.... Long live FS9 !!!!!!!!! :(

Actually, I was thinking about this the ther day. What DOES FSX provide that FS9 can't? Here's what I can come up with.- 1m Textures- DX10 Preview (I can't even type this with a straight face and having coffee come streaming out of my nose)- Better atmospherics built in. (Or you can stick with FS9 and Activesky)- Simconnect, a FSUIPC replacement built in. (Or simply use FSUIPC!)- More accurate roads built in (We've had Ultimate Terrain for how many years now?)- More accurate terrain mesh built in. (Go to fsgenesis.com and be amazed)- Herds of wilderbeasts and swimming whales (we do NOT have a wilderbeast / swimming whale addon for FS9 unfortunately)- Flocks of pelicans (FS9 is also badly lacking in pelican simulation)- Most of the earth is covered by desert (a popular request by nomadic tribes has finally been fulfilled)- Milky Way is now clearly visible...even over light polluted areas where it is never actually visible! (obviously seeing the Miky Way was a popular request!)- Light Bloom (also never actually seen with the naked eye unless your glasses get fogged up because your wife is yelling in your face to turn off your computer and come to bed)- New Delhi India is now a detailed scenery area. (Been waiting for that since FS1)- Baggage trucks at airports that respond to your aircraft (baggage truck simulation cannot be overstated!)- Moving traffic on roads (Which incidently drive faster than your Cessna 172 can fly!)- Quad Core support, 100% better frame rates, improved ATC, improved Flight dynamics, makes coffee, gives foot massages, walks your dog, reminds you of your wife's birthday.Of course, there's always...XPlane. :(
there's also: - the uber polygon limit, so you can zoom in and run your hand over smoother wheels and other round stuff.- bump mapping, so you can...er....do the bump while folding maps..?- Light bloom deserves a second mention, so you can simulate the effect of those nut jobs that shine lasers at aircraft :( But other than that, seriously Mike, I thought you'd switched?

Regards,

Mark

- Herds of wilderbeasts and swimming whales (we do NOT have a wilderbeast / swimming whale addon for FS9 unfortunately)
No wilderbeests but the Orcas Islands addon scenery does have swimming killer whales if you're lucky enough to spot them. :(

I just got back into FS9 two-days ago and what I noticed first and foremost was that I was having fun again. FSX is a great sim, as well as an intellectual exercise -perhaps too much so - but FS9 is just... fun!What I miss from FSX is the "3D head motion" and some eye-candy, especially the water. What I love about FS9 is loading the game and getting into the cockpit in less time than it takes FSX just to get past the splash screen. I also enjoy just flying; no tweaking, no twicking, no twocking; just everything maxed and never going below 23FPS even if I'm doing loops over JFK with full AI and 8XAA & 16XAF. Yes, FSX is a better sim, but there is something to be said for the immersion and just plain fun that comes from no hassle flying.

But other than that, seriously Mike, I thought you'd switched?
Yeah, switched from FSX to FS9! :( I'm not really interested in taking screenshots of 1m scenery, I'm interested in fluid flight.

What I miss from FSX is the "3D head motion"
That can be solved with either getting ActiveCamera or TrackIR

That can be solved with either getting ActiveCamera or TrackIR
I can't afford a Track IR, and I didn't know Active Camera could do that. I'll look into it. Thanks. :(