Sign in to follow this  
speedbird2001

A320/319/318

Hello everyone. A good friend who flies A320's for BMI was palpably amazed when he saw what FS9 can do and look like with all the wonderful add-on's that are available and I now have installed. The steam rising from Costa Cofee from Gate 20 in Terminal 1 at EGLL ( thanks Gary Summons for such wonderful scenery) seemed to clinch his obession, as he often grabs a quick cup before departing. Now smitten, I have been giving him a helping hand getting his own rig up and runing. He has very kindly offered to give me unlimited help, if I want to fly the Airbus. , so my question is '' What is the best, or to be precise most authentic package freeware/payware for the A320/319/318/321? Either for FS9 or FSX. Many thanks in anticipation. Tristan.

Current most realistic paywares are:PSS A320Wilco Airbus 1 seriesPlease not that both are very simple system-wise, compared to the real thing. FBW is not nearly realistically modelled, in PSS not at all, in Wilco, better but not nearly real, as others reported (don't own it, but had a chance to try it out).HYD-Systems, ELEC-Systems, laws etc... forget it.FMC - yeah, working with its basic functions.As a Beta Tester for Airsimmer, I can only advise you to wait, solely because of what is showing now in this phase of testing. For more detail, just check Airsimmer forums.

As Word Not Allowed notes, currently the PSS and the Wilco are about the only serious choices, although there are a few other Airbus aircraft about from people such as POSKY, CLS etc, but these are mostly 'lite' simulations as regard systems. The Wilco and PSS ones are okay for want of anything else and many fans say that the PSS has a better panel. Some of what they do is pretty good, but I daresay your piloting friend would be disappointed with the fact that some aspects of the real aircraft's systems and flight modeling are either missing or not completely accurate in how they are simulated. I know this because I checked them out against my genuine Airbus manuals for the A320/321/330 and there's plenty amiss on all of them.The Wilco one is not bad in terms of emulating a fair bit of the FBW stuff and the switchgear, however there are many things it doesn't do, such as the Alpha Floor function, and it's not without the odd bug apparently. Your pilot buddy would certainly be disappointed with the default FSX Airbus - I showed that to a friend who is actually a British Aerospace designer for Airbus (although mostly on their military models), just for a laugh, and it certainly elicited one, because he nearly fell of his chair laughing at its preposterous flight model.So as far as I'm aware, that leaves two potentially very good prospects which will be available at some point in the future, these being the Airsimmer version currently under development and I believe also currently in early beta, and the Flight 1 AirlinerXP version, also under development but a bit below the radar at present. So of course neither is available as yet, which means I guess the Wilco one is worth a punt since it is only about 35 quid for a package in which you get the 318, 320 and 321, and for which there is an additional addon which gives you the 319 and the corporate jet version, which I think is about 12 quid if I recall correctly.Of course you might also want to suggest that your buddy get in on the Beta for the Airsimmer one, I daresay they would be more than happy to accommodate a real Airbus driver in there, and that way he could contribute to getting exactly what he wants. The fidelity of FS add-ons in recent years is such that real airliner pilots are in no way compromising their integrity in joining in with the development of such add-ons these days, and it's actually quite a feather in their cap, which is not how it was a few years ago when systems modeling was nowhere near the real things. Most airliner pilots will now quite happily admit they use such add-ons for brushing up on things, which would have been unthinkable a decade ago.Al.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Alan and Word Not Allowed, Your replies have helped me considerably. Actually, I was steering towards the Wilco version, but I wanted to hear from the experts. Will the Airsimmer version be available for FS9 ? Tristan

I can only add that we would be very happy to have any real Airbus driver there, as one can really contribute a lot, and Airsimmer is very eager to incorporate any real aspect of the bus into its simulation, as already announced. I have the feeling there, that every opinion counts.

Guest Goudzon

Wait for release Airsimmer :( for now something is better Wilco than models is not present :(

I can only add that we would be very happy to have any real Airbus driver there, as one can really contribute a lot, and Airsimmer is very eager to incorporate any real aspect of the bus into its simulation, as already announced. I have the feeling there, that every opinion counts./quote]Hi KostaOnly a little PC Sim experience, but 6000hrs on the 319/320/321 - would be pleased to trial a Beta version. Running FSX and Vista but could install XP and 2004 on an external driveRegardsJohn