Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard L Hill

FSX Gold Edition

Guest Richard L Hill

I was runningg the original FSX but wanted the SDK. I am running Vista Home 32 bit, with FSX Gold Edition installed on F:. I installed SDK, ran ConfigSDK, and yet I can not get the Tools Menu to display. Are there other things I need to Install? If you had this problem and have your FSX on F: and got things working please E-mail me as to what to do to do to get it to work at rhill1@ma.rr.com. Any sampels of CFG or XML would be apprerciated.Richard :(

Guest firehawk44
I was runningg the original FSX but wanted the SDK. I am running Vista Home 32 bit, with FSX Gold Edition installed on F:. I installed SDK, ran ConfigSDK, and yet I can not get the Tools Menu to display. Are there other things I need to Install? If you had this problem and have your FSX on F: and got things working please E-mail me as to what to do to do to get it to work at rhill1@ma.rr.com. Any sampels of CFG or XML would be apprerciated.Richard :(
I did a search of this forum using "tools menu" as the keywords and came up with this possible solution: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...p;hl=Tools+Menu.Hope this helps.Jim

Hello, FSX SDK Installation Guide - follow the directions closely pertaining to matching the SDK version with FSX, and the section on editing the dll.xml file.

Regards, Kendall

Guest Richard L Hill
Hello, FSX SDK Installation Guide - follow the directions closely pertaining to matching the SDK version with FSX, and the section on editing the dll.xml file.
I read the installation guide, but the way it reads is confusing to me.With FSX Gold Edition ( The Newest Version of FSX) wouldn't everything automatically install? I get the following messages with either install attempt. Do I have to uninstall everything AGAIN and if YES what are the steps to get everything working correctly? Why can't they make the install simple? I know I am old but I am mot senile yet. PLEASE HELP ME.SDK1A Install Message You must have the Flight Simulator X SDK SP1A or SDK SP2 installed before you cane install Microsoft Flight SimulatorAccelleration SDKSDK SP2 Install Message You must have the Flight Simulator X SDK SP1A installed before you cane install Microsoft Flight Simulator X SP2 SDK

Hi Richard and everyone."With FSX Gold Edition ( The Newest Version of FSX) wouldn't everything automatically install?"No.You have to prompt the Install to get the SDK. You also have to get FSX installed, Activate it, Get Acceleration which should install SP1 and 2, and Acceleration, Activate it, install SDK. If you install FSX anywhere else other than default, you will have to also run the fix for SDK to get it to work. I know, a bunch of amateurs have lied their way into those jobs. It's the trend, let someone else do my job, I just lie and get the bonuses. TV

Hi FolksRichard -I don't have the "Gold Edition" package,but will update the Wiki to include any "Gold" specific info,once I've checked my mate's Acceleration disk.Meantime, AIUI -Gold includes two discs -1) FSX Deluxe RTM disc.2) FSX Acceleration disc.Install FSX, then Acceleration.To install the SDKyou do not need to uninstall Acceleration or FSX.You do however have to install the old SDK,before you can upgrade it to the Acceleration/SP2 SDK.The Acceleration disc includes both of the required SDKs -In the disc root you'll find -1) a folder called SDK, containing -2) sdk.msi - Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration SDK, 6th October 2007, (for info, right-click then view properties).3) a child sub-folder, also called SDK, containing -4) sdk.msi - Not sure which version, unknown, (for info, right-click then view properties).Install 4),then install 2), (it'll automatically uninstall 4) :( Now run ConfigSDK.exe from wherever you've installed the SDK to.That'll update the registry settings, (only).Finally, manually edit your dll.xml.For any non-standard installation,the path must a full path.e.g.

<Path>Z:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

HTHATBPaul

Guest Richard L Hill

There aree three Disk two for FSX and one for Excelleration. How many DLL.XML files should there be?I have one in the SDK\Treffic Toolbox SDKI have one in the SDK\Enviorment Kit\Special Effects SDKI have one in the SDK\Mission Creation Kit Shouldthere be one somewhere else?I just do not understand why something has to be so didicult to get working. I am not a total idiot, and have been arround computers back Commodore days. I have been trying for some time to get this working.PLEASE let me know if any information is nedded.

Hi FolksRichard -I don't have the "Gold Edition" package,but will update the Wiki to include any "Gold" specific info,once I've checked my mate's Acceleration disk.Meantime, AIUI -Gold includes two discs -1) FSX Deluxe RTM disc.2) FSX Acceleration disc.Install FSX, then Acceleration.To install the SDKyou do not need to uninstall Acceleration or FSX.You do however have to install the old SDK,before you can upgrade it to the Acceleration/SP2 SDK.The Acceleration disc includes both of the required SDKs -In the disc root you'll find -1) a folder called SDK, containing -2) sdk.msi - Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration SDK, 6th October 2007, (for info, right-click then view properties).3) a child sub-folder, also called SDK, containing -4) sdk.msi - Not sure which version, unknown, (for info, right-click then view properties).Install 4),then install 2), (it'll automatically uninstall 4) :( Now run ConfigSDK.exe from wherever you've installed the SDK to.That'll update the registry settings, (only).Finally, manually edit your dll.xml.For any non-standard installation,the path must a full path.e.g.
<Path>Z:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

HTHATBPaul

How many dll.xml files isn't really important, as they are all the same.The only dll.xml file any user needs to be concerned with is the one the installer places in one of these folders...WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXVista:M:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi FolksRichard -Ooops,I'd forgotten FSX itself, was on 2 DVDs. :( Just to clarify -Those 3 dll.xml files, one located in each tool's directory,are only examples of the entry required for that specific tool.As Bill says,there is only one working/active version dll.xmlits that dll.xml file located in your user profile.Please see the big red box at - FSDeveloper - Wiki - SDK Installation (FSX) - dll.xml sectionHTHATBPaul

Guest Richard L Hill

My .FLT and .WX files are located in Desktop\Users Name\Flight Simulator X Files, and that is all in that folder, other than files in my F:\FSX\ folder. Things are not going well for my opinion of FSX SDK, as I own the FSX original, now FSX Gold and still can not use addon tools.

How many dll.xml files isn't really important, as they are all the same.The only dll.xml file any user needs to be concerned with is the one the installer places in one of these folders...WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXVista:M:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Hi FolksRichard -Nobody ever mentioned my documents folders.dll.xml location is nothing whatsoever to do with your my documents folders or .flt &.wx locations.dll.xml is in the %APPDATA% folderOS - dll.xml locationXP - C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Vista - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ ATBPaul

Guest UlfB
My .FLT and .WX files are located in Desktop\Users Name\Flight Simulator X Files, and that is all in that folder, other than files in my F:\FSX\ folder. Things are not going well for my opinion of FSX SDK, as I own the FSX original, now FSX Gold and still can not use addon tools.
Are you still looking for the folder where your dll.xml file is??? The folder "C:\Users\<youre-name>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" isn't the one. If you use Vista, look in the folder that Bill suggested: C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXThis folder AppData might be hidden, so change the Folder options in Explorer (the view tab) and select the option "Show hidden files and folders".Hope you'll find the right folder. Your fsx.cfg file should also be in the same folder. You could try to search for the file dll.xml in Explorer.

Yes, that is where those files are located...The "working dll.xml file" is in the same folder where the fsx.cfg file is located!You cannot be running FSX without having an fsx.cfg file, so wherever that is located is where you need to be looking...You do have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" selected in your Windows Explorer, right?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Richard L Hill
Yes, that is where those files are located...The "working dll.xml file" is in the same folder where the fsx.cfg file is located!You cannot be running FSX without having an fsx.cfg file, so wherever that is located is where you need to be looking...You do have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" selected in your Windows Explorer, right?
Thanks! Found out files were hidden, looked at and edited both the CFG and XML files according to SDK Installation DOC, but still cant get things to work. Can I send someone a copy of each to look over? I realy don't want to uninstall and reinstall again but if this is what is needed I will gladly. If I have to would someone send me the step by step install for FSX Gold Edition? I don't understand the section:"You Must Install the appropriate SDK Service Pack version to match your FSX Service Pack version. ", in the SDK Installation DOCWouldn't all of this be on the same FSX DVD? and Expansion Pack DVD? for FSX Gold Edition as it is the latest version.Richard

Hi FolksRichard -It'd be easier for everyoneif you just posted your dll.xml, (embed it in code tags).and we can correct it from that.To ensure you install the correct SDKplease see the steps in my post Apr 12 2009, 06:21 PMHTHATBPaul