Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard L Hill

FSX Gold Edition

Hi Richard. See if the info below helps. In the attaced .zip is the same info as a .doc file. TV

Hello everyone.Note: SDK Install, Vista64, other OSs may be different.Must be in Window mode to use / see the Tools submenu.Some people have said that some Functions may not work properly with this installation.MS wants you to have everything in their Default location, for SDK. If you do not, you have to play some games with the file locations / paths. I have my FSX installed in:"C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"My SDK is installed in:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDKThe easiest, in my case the only way, to get it to work is:Create a directory named "SDK" within your "Flight Simulator X" folder, and Copy "Object_Placement.dll", "visualfxtool.dll", and "traffictoolbox.dll", from your SDK directory into that new Directory . Your Path should look like this, after the above files are moved:Note: "…fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" may be different depending where your FSX is installed.  "C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\sdk" with the above 3 files ("Object_Placement.dll", "visualfxtool.dll", and "traffictoolbox.dll") in it, make sure you have YOUR correct Drive letter and Root.The steps involved:1-Modify All (4) "dll.xml" files as they are listed below.2- Create a directory named "SDK" within your "Flight Simulator X" folder, and Copy "Object_Placement.dll", "visualfxtool.dll", and "traffictoolbox.dll" into that Directory . 3-Execute / Run "ConfigSDK.exe"4-Start FSX in Windows Mode.Post here if you need more info. TVModify your (main) "dll.xml" mine is located in: "C:\Users\YourComputername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"Note: This is NOT ANY one of the "dll.xml" located in the SDK subdirectory, and it depends on your OS as to where it may be located.It should look something like this, you should have your drive letter / path, where FSX is installed, instead of my "C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X ",  ignore the FSUIPC if you do not have it:Change / Verify (main) "dll.xml" located in:"C:\Users\YourComputername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"This may be different path, depending on your OS.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>Change >>        <Path>C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\sdk\object_placement.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>Change >>        <Path>C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\sdk\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>Change >>        <Path>C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\sdk\visualfxtool.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon>  <Launch.Addon>        <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>        <Disabled>False</Disabled>Change >>        <Path>C:\fsx\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>    </Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>Change / Verify "dll.xml" located in:Your "dll.xml" where the SDK is installed, in my case: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit"  should look something like this:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>Note:In the following line your Path should point to the location where the SDK is located, Not where the FSX is.This: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" may be different in your system.Change >>        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>Change / Verify "dll.xml" located in:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>This: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" may be different in your system.Change >>        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>Change / Verify "dll.xml" located in:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>  <Launch.Addon>    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>    <Disabled>False</Disabled>    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>This: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" may be different in your system.Change >>        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>

Got an ERROR, "not permited to upload this type file"?

Guest Richard L Hill
Hi FolksRichard -It'd be easier for everyoneif you just posted your dll.xml, (embed it in code tags).and we can correct it from that.To ensure you install the correct SDKplease see the steps in my post Apr 12 2009, 06:21 PMHTHATBPaul
Not sure whatyoumean by (embed itin sodew tags) I thoughtsome thingscould not be posted on the forum. If someone would send me an email I would send them a copy of my XML and CFG to see if things need changed.rhill1@ma.rr.comThanks;Richard

Hi FolksRichard -When replying to a postyou do so in the forum post editing window.At the top of that window there's a bar of icons,the rightmost one is the code rte-code-button.png button.Click it once and it'll insert a pair of code tags.Paste your dll.xml content between the tags.Ensure you also post the paths to your installations of -a} FSXb} SDKPlease ignore avcomware's post.That will not get the SDK working.ATBPaul

Hi Paul.Interesting comment:"Please ignore avcomware's post.That will not get the SDK working."You must be one of those Experts, You know more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing.I've had this running for months without any problems. When you make comments like you did, you need to specify the reasons why you think that it will not work. Experts like you we do not need around here. I will guarantee that this setup will work, in every system, if done correctly. It would seem that Vista installs the SDK in a Directory that is not recognized as Default by the SDK dummies. Here is the proof, see pic below. Now it's your turn, explain Why it will not work, Mr. Expert? TV

Hi FolksAvcomware -Those 3 tools are not the SDK.They are only 3 components of the ~ 30 executable SDK components, (total excludes samples).Whilst your workaround may work for those 3 components,correctly following the MS instructionsand others posted here, will enable the full suite of SDK tools.Please desist from ad hominem attacks.ATBPaul

Hi Paul."Avcomware -Those 3 tools are not the SDK.They are only 3 components of the ~ 30 executable SDK components, (total excludes samples).Whilst your workaround may work for those 3 components,correctly following the MS instructionsand others posted here, will enable the full suite of SDK tools.Please desist from ad hominem attacks."You are the one that is making unfounded remarks. I will say it to you again, what I outlined makes the COMPLETE SDK work for me. Stop making unsubstantiated remarks. Have something specific? Spit it out. TV

Hi FolksAvcomware -No offence was intended regarding your workaround.The O/P is on Vista 32.AIUI the only Vista 64 issuesarose from users who had not applied all the relevant OS patches.Either those available via windows update, or those specifically mentioned in the FSX/FSX SDK readme.Your Vista 64 specific SDK install failurewas related to the 32-bit Windows Installer (c:\windows\syswow64\msiexec.exe)not having been patched by the user.Any evidence to the contrary would be much appreciated.ATBPaul

Hi Paul.I think we are sidetracking a bit here, but for the sake of clarity, and hopefully will help you understand better I will post some more info. I presently have FSX on a Vista64 SP1 system, with some original / initial updates until I got tired of everyday getting another one, about 6 moths ago I turned it off.I am not familiar with: "Your Vista 64 specific SDK install failurewas related to the 32-bit Windows Installer (c:\windows\syswow64\msiexec.exe)not having been patched by the user."it could very well be?I normally fix my own problems by reducing them to the basics / CPM / DOS level, tracking them down with some old utilities, that most don't help anymore. In my system, I presume partly because of my FSX Deluxe no SPs, being installed in a non default Directory, partly because of the Vista file tracking / accessing system, partly because whomever wrote the Installer, which is fairly limited, some files were never found. It may also have something to do with the SDK version? I use the one from a Gold edition without the SPs?My SDK was / is installed in the Default location that it wants to be, but FSX is not.Part of the problem is the fact that Vista does some very strange things when it thinks it's being assaulted. I've had Directories / files working one day, locked out the next, and the only way to get to them is to use a special procedure, or if I get lucky to do it in Safe Mode, to regain control. I used the same procedure on couple of other people's system, Vista 64 SP1s, and it works fine for them also.Basically, by trial and error, based on previous knowledge, changing one thing at the time, I found that moving some of files in the FSX directory made it work. The remaining SDK functions, that are in the default Directory work fine where they are. I basically ended up forcing the Paths, otherwise it would not find the files / dlls. By the way, if you are the inquiring kind, which you seem to be, try to set it up the way I have it, and see if there are any parts that do not work? It's not that difficult, and is reversible, just save your original files. I'd be curious to see if you find something that doe not work?I hope Richard can get his working. TV

Guest Richard L Hill
Hi FolksRichard -When replying to a post

you do so in the forum post editing window.At the top of that window there's a bar of icons,the rightmost one is the code rte-code-button.png button.Click it once and it'll insert a pair of code tags.Paste your dll.xml content between the tags.Ensure you also post the paths to your installations of -a} FSXb} SDKPlease ignore avcomware's post.That will not get the SDK working.ATBPaul[/quote]Here is a copy of my DLL.XML. Hope someone can tell me what needs fixed to get myy SDK Working.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>  <Launch.Addon>	<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>	<Disabled>False</Disabled>	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>	<Path>..F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon>  <Launch.Addon>	<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>	<Disabled>False</Disabled>	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>	<Path>..F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon>  <Launch.Addon>	<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>	<Disabled>False</Disabled>	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>	<Path>..F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>  </Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>

Thanks;Richard

Hi FolksRichard -It's always something simple -Remove the .. from your paths -<Path>..F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environ etc etcShould be -<Path>F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environ etc etcAvcomware -No worries.Installer failed to place some bits as msiexec.exe wasn't current. Your installation is similar to my own.C for SDKG for FSXVista UAC and ownership :(Nuff said.HTHATBPaul

Guest Richard L Hill
Hi FolksRichard -It's always something simple -Remove the .. from your paths -<Path>..F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environ etc etcShould be -<Path>F:\FSX\SDK\SDK\Environ etc etcAvcomware -No worries.Installer failed to place some bits as msiexec.exe wasn't current. Your installation is similar to my own.C for SDKG for FSXVista UAC and ownership :(Nuff said.HTHATBPaul
Thanks! But that did not hep. Guess I will un install and try installing and running each before next part of install.Richard

Hi Folks

Thanks! But that did not hep. Guess I will un install and try installing and running each before next part of install.
One last try.Had you updated your SDK to match your FSX version ?Then check your dll.xml again please.C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xmlDoes it still contain the .. ?If so your Vista UAChas prevented you overwriting the .xmlHTHATBPaul