Sign in to follow this  
jumboross

747-400 Type Rating Course

Hello AllAnother newbie question I'm afraid. I want to do all of the type rating course for my new 747-400. When I downloaded the files I exported them to desktop and then manually added them to what I think is the right place (C drive, program files, games, flight simulator then PMDG and also Flights/PMDG) but I can't seem to find the pre-loaded flight. I guess it should be there if I choose the PMDG 747 the just go to the load button on the normal FSX interface? Instead I seem to have a couple of different (default?) flights there but not the one from KBFI to KMWH that I need for the type rating course? I've attached a screensot of what I can see.Am I looking in the correct place for the type rating course flight? Or, have I not installed it properly?I'm running Vista (and wish I wasn't) by the way.Any and all help appreciated.Regards,James.

FSX flights are stored in your user data area...depends on XP or Vista exact path. Panels are stored in the FSX/PMDG/...etc area but not flights. Oh, I see from your toolbar you do have Vista so try flights here: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXHope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi DanThanks for taking the trouble to reply, but no joy unfortunately. I don't seem to have an AppData folder (see screenshot) when I follow that filepath? Is FSX not installed correctly? I'm a bit stuck?Thanks again.James.

I should have mentioned that my user name is USER, since your's is James I'd expect a folder named C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.. oh, I bet you have to allow system folders.I get rid of the dumb-down settings that come with any Microslop product, all all system and hidden things to be shown, show all extensions, etc. It's not just Vista, which I have adopted for about six months and prefer it now to XP.

Dan Downs KCRP

James,I'm pretty sure the tutorial flight and cockpit panel files are for FS9 only. You can use the tuotrial, but you're gonna have to setup the cockpit up manually.

OK Dan I've Googled how to show all the hidden things etc on Vista (I'm learning a lot today - also had to download new video card drivers so my mouse actually clicked where it was pointed in the cockpit!) and followed the path you suggested but............it's still not clear to me where exactly to drop the .FLT and .WX files so they show up in the sim. I'll attach another screenshot. I'm sure this must be frustrating for you and I do appreciate your patience. Could you tell me exactly where to go from here please?Thanks again.James.

Oh, just seen your reply Funknnasty. So if it won't upload I'll just manually put my plane at KBFI and add all the data for the flight into the FMC? Is that what you mean?You guys have been really helpful and I'm sure these questions are frustrating for you! I just want to do it right and fly the tutorial as I think that'll be the quickest way for me to learn.James.

James: It goes in the folder you have displayed above. It's that "easy." C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes. Good luck,Ken

Oh, just seen your reply Funknnasty. So if it won't upload I'll just manually put my plane at KBFI and add all the data for the flight into the FMC? Is that what you mean?James.

Hello there James,I had the same difficulty and Aerosoft were very helpful.Open the lesson files,put the files from FS2004\Flights\PMDG into your \Documents\Flight Simulator X Filesput the files from FS2004\PMDG\747400\PanelState into your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\747400\PanelStateYou should then find it all works beautifully, it did for me on my Vista. Patrick

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 4.1GHz
RAM 16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
Asus 32in monitor 2560*1440

Success! Gentlemen thank you for all your help. Dan for whatever reason it just didn't show up when I did what you suggested? Ken, I did as you suggested and manually recreated it and got my Type Rating started that way and eneded up not going to bed until 3am, but I guess that can happen a lot with this thing! Patrick, I did as you suggested and it has worked perfectly! What a relief.Thanks to all three of you for taking the time to help me. I'll be getting stuck into the course now.Regards,James.