Sign in to follow this  
gman!

FSX SP1 vs SP2

Hi everyone, I am just wondering what version of FSX most people run on, and which service pack is best for them in terms of performance. Also are there any bugs showing up after you installed FSX SP2. I'm not sure if its me, but when I had SP1, FSX felt smoother! Maybe I should go back?

Guest jshyluk

The best way to answer that question is for you to try for yourself! SP2 is easily installed and uninstalled, although it is time-consuming to download.SP1 and SP2 both provide improvements to FSX. Possibly, you might find gains with SP1 only if you plan on importing only FS9 aircraft into your sim. Most (if not all) third-party developers for FSX use SP2 as their preferred version, as it has the most features. If you expect to add on to your FSX sim, then you will probably need SP2, or even Acceleration. There are a lot of variables involved: your system specs, your add-ons, your willingness to tweak and modify the sim (especially with the SDK) and your needs and perception. Very basically, though, I figure that most people who are aware of SP2 run SP2. As far as bugs are concerned, that's a good question. I remember that Phil Taylor formerly of ACES had an extensive list of bugs and fixes in his blog, maybe there's a copy of that list on AVSIM somewhere. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest firehawk44
Hi everyone, I am just wondering what version of FSX most people run on, and which service pack is best for them in terms of performance. Also are there any bugs showing up after you installed FSX SP2. I'm not sure if its me, but when I had SP1, FSX felt smoother! Maybe I should go back?
SP2 provides a new FSX.exe. It was modified so that FSX could see memory greater than 2GB. So this might be the reason you are having some issues with smoothness. Microsoft did this because many of us were hacking the original FSX so that the program could see more memory than just 2GB's. Then we added the /3GB switch (for XP users) or the USERVA=xxxx (x=amount of memory) switch (for VISTA32 users). Microsoft concurred this was a good "hack" and implemented it in SP2/Acceleration. I would recommend checking out this link for more info on setting up your system properly (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041) or for a better explanation of enabling the switches.Best regards,JimY

The best way to answer that question is for you to try for yourself! SP2 is easily installed and uninstalled, although it is time-consuming to download.SP1 and SP2 both provide improvements to FSX. Possibly, you might find gains with SP1 only if you plan on importing only FS9 aircraft into your sim. Most (if not all) third-party developers for FSX use SP2 as their preferred version, as it has the most features. If you expect to add on to your FSX sim, then you will probably need SP2, or even Acceleration. There are a lot of variables involved: your system specs, your add-ons, your willingness to tweak and modify the sim (especially with the SDK) and your needs and perception. Very basically, though, I figure that most people who are aware of SP2 run SP2. As far as bugs are concerned, that's a good question. I remember that Phil Taylor formerly of ACES had an extensive list of bugs and fixes in his blog, maybe there's a copy of that list on AVSIM somewhere. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Thanks for your reply, I am going to do what you said and see for myself :(. Currently uninstalling SP2, then reinstalling SP1. I used to have a very modified fsx.cfg, but I deleted it and made FSX go back to normal, with only a bufferpools tweak, to see if that could give me some performance, but that is about as far as I have gone :(. I will see what SP1 does for me though.Whoops didn't see your post firehawk! I will definitely check that out, right now I have 4GBs of RAM. Thanks for the help everyone.

As of now, I'm running SP1, and that's because I use the Project Opensky aircraft, which are designed for FS9. As far as I'm aware, glitches would occur with these aircraft with SP2, or so they said.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I will definitely check that out, right now I have 4GBs of RAM.
Suggest you read the reference tuning guide carefully. The /3GB switch does not enable your 4 GBs of RAM,that is done automatically by the OS. The switch is provided to prevent OOM errors which occur if you runout of Virtual Memory.

Bert

Suggest you read the reference tuning guide carefully. The /3GB switch does not enable your 4 GBs of RAM,that is done automatically by the OS. The switch is provided to prevent OOM errors which occur if you runout of Virtual Memory.
To be more precise, it is not "Virtual Memory," but rather "Virtual Address Space." This is a critical -not pedantic- distinction. If physical memory were a city and virtual memory were the suburbs, VAS is nothing more than a list of addresses for every piece of property.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

To be more precise, it is not "Virtual Memory," but rather "Virtual Address Space." This is a critical -not pedantic- distinction. If physical memory were a city and virtual memory were the suburbs, VAS is nothing more than a list of addresses for every piece of property.
OK, VAS it is! Key is, that this switch does not enable additional RAM as some folks are reporting :(

Bert