Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Differences Between B744 & MD-11

Good Day to allA couple of questions....I have Kai Tak installed and pretty much, all works well. Have a look at the pics though. The 744 shows the extended runway, the MD11 does not. Also, the 744 FMC will 'auto tune' to the correct ILS frequency, where the MD11 doesn't.Any ideas please?

You could create a fix and enter the bearing to achieve the extended runway (on the MD11), don't know why the ILS isn't autotuning if the 747's is, does it work with manual tune? Does the ILS auto tune in the MD11 at other airports for you?Jay V.

You could create a fix and enter the bearing to achieve the extended runway (on the MD11), don't know why the ILS isn't autotuning if the 747's is, does it work with manual tune? Does the ILS auto tune in the MD11 at other airports for you?Jay V.
You have to selsct ILS Rwy at arrv FMS airport page. It will turn. Dont forget to push "Apprland" to intercept.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Yes, I guess I could that. I just wondered why it didn't show. The ILS works fine once manually tuned. Can't remember if it auto tunes elsewhere. I just can't remember - will have to go check.In the mean time, here's another question.... If I just place my aircraft at a nearby airport, then VHHX does not show up on the ND. It ONLY shows if I have it as part of a flightplan. That seems bizarre. See what I mean.....

The 744 shows the extended runway, the MD11 does not.
That's by design, the MD-11 has no such feature.
Also, the 744 FMC will 'auto tune' to the correct ILS frequency, where the MD11 doesn't.
Usually, the MD-11 perfectly auto tunes ILSs. Don't know exactly at which point it starts autotuning, but it definitely does. Maybe a problem with the scenery or you didn't define the runway in the STAR portion of the flight plan.Andreas

If it doesn't autotune I'll just fly it in by hand from that point. I don't know if most of you can do a manual landing with the planes, but I am able to due to outside experience and nothing trumps flying the plane by hand. And no you dont have to be perfectly on the line because when you fly in the real world it is almost never like that.

I am sure most do manually fly the approach, I know I have only done a few full auto lands (couple tests and one for the hell of it) since I got the MD11, I still choose a ILS approach most the time for the extra reference if I feel I want it, but still hand fly it. Then if the FMS doesn't autotune it doesn't matter at the time (can easily hand fly without it, as long as I can see the rwy before minimums) but I would still like to find out the reason.Jay V

I am sure most do manually fly the approach, I know I have only done a few full auto lands (couple tests and one for the hell of it) since I got the MD11, I still choose a ILS approach most the time for the extra reference if I feel I want it, but still hand fly it. Then if the FMS doesn't autotune it doesn't matter at the time (can easily hand fly without it, as long as I can see the rwy before minimums) but I would still like to find out the reason.Jay V
Well it always add to the joy to fly it by hand. I think I'm going to do a lot more of that now since I just got in my new joystick and pedals.

Auto tuning ILS frequencies for IGS approaches dropped out of the code due to some last minute changes on the newest patch. This is already fixed and will make it into next update.In the meantime you must tune the ILS frequency manually to be able to fly a complete IGS procedure. This has to be done for every IGS approach there is, not just Hong Kong.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Would someone please explain to me what an IGS approach is? I missed this, but I thought ILS, LOC and LDA would cover requirements. Are there any other alias for the localizer-based approach? Thanks in advance.

Dan Downs KCRP

My understanding is that IGS is an ILS that takes you somewhere else than the runway threshold. E.g. to the old Kai Tak "checkerboard".

Would someone please explain to me what an IGS approach is? I missed this, but I thought ILS, LOC and LDA would cover requirements. Are there any other alias for the localizer-based approach? Thanks in advance.
Operationally, I don't believe there is any difference from an IGS and an LDA, except that the IGS does not guide you to the airport itself. Instead, it gives you a localizer and glideslope to (in this case) the checkerboard, at which point you turn a short final towards the airport.Whether off-airport guidance is a criteria for an IGS approach all the time, I dunno...all i know is that it's a ton-o-fun to fly :)

Oh, and there is also the SDF approach. Just as an LDA is the off-set version of the ILS, the SDF is the (sometimes) off-set version of a LOC approach. Sorta...slight differences in precision, but I'll leave that for you to Google; and btw those are very simplified and not totally accurate descriptions of LDAs and SDFs :)

Okay, so hopefully Markus will catch this good info: ILS/LOC/LDA/IGS/SDF. I've run into SDF's, just forgot but the IGS is a new one for me. Thanks Jonathan.

Dan Downs KCRP