Sign in to follow this  
Plainplane

Need Recommendation For New Router

For the past two years, I have been using cable internet service, and my ISP has provided me with Netgear WCR614 routers. These consistently start failing only a few months after I get them (wireless network and internet connection drop out) to the point where I have been through eight or nine of these routers since I started using the service. Every time I have the problem, I have to go upstairs, unplug the router from it's power adapter, and plug it back in again. Sometimes it starts working again, and other times I have to reset it multiple times. Since I was told that it is because my ISP uses refurbished routers, I bought a brand new one of the same model from Best Buy two months ago.Now this brand new router is failing, and I am sick and tired of having this problem.What should I replace it with?

Welcome to the world of routers. However, I think Linksys makes good stuff. I don't know of any that you don't have to reboot every so often.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest tcable
Welcome to the world of routers. However, I think Linksys makes good stuff. I don't know of any that you don't have to reboot every so often.Bob
Assuming that you have a separate cable modem, I suggest the Dlink DIR-655. it's one of the best hardware buys that I've ever made. If your modem has a router built in, set it to bridge mode and disable the wireless.I upgraded to this form a wired only linksys. the processor int eh old linksys was not up to the task of any real use.

For the past two years, I have been using cable internet service, and my ISP has provided me with Netgear WCR614 routers. These consistently start failing only a few months after I get them (wireless network and internet connection drop out) to the point where I have been through eight or nine of these routers since I started using the service. Every time I have the problem, I have to go upstairs, unplug the router from it's power adapter, and plug it back in again. Sometimes it starts working again, and other times I have to reset it multiple times. Since I was told that it is because my ISP uses refurbished routers, I bought a brand new one of the same model from Best Buy two months ago.Now this brand new router is failing, and I am sick and tired of having this problem.What should I replace it with?
Hey Planeplane,To be honest, I am not sure that your failing router is just down to bad luck; whilst I could imagine one or even two failing after a time - admittedly longer than a few months, refurb'ed or not - I suspect there is some wider issue here. You can pretty well discount this being an issue with refurbished models if the same problem occurs with a new, out of the box model I think you need to start over again, and look at some other factors here. Some suggestions for you to try:
  • Have you tried using different Wireless channels at all (you can find these in the router's config pages). This can help isolate a problem with external interference. Is there any obvious equipment that could be causing interference near you?
  • What error is coming up on the client machine? Is it that it cannot find the Wireless network, or that it's found it, but there is no net connection available?
  • What encryption method are you using? It could be that is corrupting, but I think it not so likely on the basis this is happening to so many routers.
  • Can you try and locate the router at a physically different wall power socket? If this is acting up, you could eliminate that.
  • Plug your PC or a laptop directly into one of the wired LAN ports on the back, and if so, are you getting a net connection then? If yes, then you are probably going back to a WLAN issue, see bullet point one :)
  • Are you able to lend the router to someone else, and see whether the problems are exhibited with them? I imagine this may not be the most practicable of things to do, but could be helpful in diagnosing the problem if you can.

I would not recommend at this stage going out and buying a new router of a different make; I suspect your problems, particularly if they're environmental ones, are just going to come back further down the line. Hope this helps, Leo

Louise

London, UK

Guest Mower

Have you asked your ISP to check the mibs (signal levels) on the incoming line?

LeoAgreed.I used to get booted off the internet every time the phone rang. Seems my router and phone where on the same frequency(duh).I have one router that works great at home but not at a few other places I plug it in.Lastly, I know it's not supposed to make any difference. But sometimes when I mix wired and wireless, some computers don't work right. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

LeoAgreed.I used to get booted off the internet every time the phone rang. Seems my router and phone where on the same frequency(duh).I have one router that works great at home but not at a few other places I plug it in.Lastly, I know it's not supposed to make any difference. But sometimes when I mix wired and wireless, some computers don't work right. Bob
Absolutely! I had a wireless repeater right next to a cordless phone, and every now and then the thing would cut out. Changed the wireless channel, and bingo, problem solved. Oh, and Planeplane, that's since reminded me of another possible cause; you could have another Wireless network on the same channel interfering.. google Netstumbler, good tool -will list all the wireless networks detected, hidden and visible, their channels and security type. More often than not, wireless routers are set to the same channel, and it can help changing from one to another.

Louise

London, UK

Threw my Linksys in the trash can and got a D-Link DGL-4100.