Sign in to follow this  
Guest flapsabuse

FS9 Weather, Violent wind changes

Guest flapsabuse

This may be an old topic, but I did a search and didn't find anything to help.I fly a lot with the 737-400, using FS Passengers and Radar Contact addons. I will graduate to my new PMDG 737-700, as soon as I learn all of it's bells and whistles. I try to make my flights as realistic as possible, using actual flight information from (primarily) Southwest Airline routes, and loading real weather.This leads to my problem...before I start a flight, I check relevant weather on NOAA's Aviation Weather Center. Regardless of that information, FS 9's weather generator seems to do whatever the hell it wants. I have tried both 15 minute updated, and static weather generation. Yesterday I flew from McCarren (Vegas) to Denver Intl. The ADDS map showed mostly crosswinds below 40 kts all the way. What I actually flew through was mostly 40 kt+ headwinds, with some 40 kt+ tailwinds. Sometimes the wind direction and speed will shift violently 90-180 degrees in seconds, and then back every few minutes.When the wind shifts from heads to tails, my airspeed will drop dramatically, and the autothrottle will wind up. Then it shifts back from tails to heads, and I will instantly be at overspeed. Needless to say, I keep getting big points deductions in FS Passengers for breaking overspeed unless I closely babysit my autothrottles, and go idle as soon as the wind flips.This cannot possibly be realistic. I can't imagine that RW pilots have to contend with this.Any ideas, other than cheating and using defined weather? I know there are addon weather generators, but are any of them compatible with PMDG/RC4/FSPassengers?

Active Sky 6.5 uses FSUIPC to communicate with FS9 and it has a wind smoothing feature it sets up in FSUIPC that helps. I recommend that over their later product Active Sky Advanced as it seems to have a few "bumps" in it. You can download real weather from their servers. I choose to download the archive for the time of my FS flight (which is loaded from a saved file at a certain time of day and season and also has the Clear Weather Theme since AS handles all the dynamics). You still might get some wind shifts but they should not be as bad. What you are seeing now is the possible effect of missing reporting points so changes are spaced out but drastic having no in-between reporting points.I suggest you browse the HiFi Simulations forum here on AVSIM and search on "shifts".

This may be an old topic, but I did a search and didn't find anything to help.I fly a lot with the 737-400, using FS Passengers and Radar Contact addons. I will graduate to my new PMDG 737-700, as soon as I learn all of it's bells and whistles. I try to make my flights as realistic as possible, using actual flight information from (primarily) Southwest Airline routes, and loading real weather.This leads to my problem...before I start a flight, I check relevant weather on NOAA's Aviation Weather Center. Regardless of that information, FS 9's weather generator seems to do whatever the hell it wants. I have tried both 15 minute updated, and static weather generation. Yesterday I flew from McCarren (Vegas) to Denver Intl. The ADDS map showed mostly crosswinds below 40 kts all the way. What I actually flew through was mostly 40 kt+ headwinds, with some 40 kt+ tailwinds. Sometimes the wind direction and speed will shift violently 90-180 degrees in seconds, and then back every few minutes.When the wind shifts from heads to tails, my airspeed will drop dramatically, and the autothrottle will wind up. Then it shifts back from tails to heads, and I will instantly be at overspeed. Needless to say, I keep getting big points deductions in FS Passengers for breaking overspeed unless I closely babysit my autothrottles, and go idle as soon as the wind flips.This cannot possibly be realistic. I can't imagine that RW pilots have to contend with this.Any ideas, other than cheating and using defined weather? I know there are addon weather generators, but are any of them compatible with PMDG/RC4/FSPassengers?

Go ye forth and purchase Active Sky Advanced from HiFi Simulations. Yea, and thusly make unto thee Flight Environment Pro. And Behold! Thy shalt look upon the sky and see that it is good and perfect and ye shalt smile and give thanks.