Sign in to follow this  
Guest Llanero_429

Starting engines

Guest Llanero_429

Hi all.On the MD11 (I have combo but FS9 installed only) we can start-up all the three engines at the same time. Must we think we have the most powerfull APU ever, or is it a little program slip?Thank you and good flightsAntonio.

I think yes. Even on the mighty 747, all four engines can be started at once during maintanance in real world. :)Matyas Majzik

Hi all.On the MD11 (I have combo but FS9 installed only) we can start-up all the three engines at the same time. Must we think we have the most powerfull APU ever, or is it a little program slip?Thank you and good flightsAntonio.
I remember hearing somewhere that the APU is powerful enough to start all three the same time (or atleast two) but I forget where I heard it.Jay V.

What many don't realise is how much power really is in these APUs.It is no myth that on both the 744 and MD-11 all engines can come on together at the same time and that the APU is able to provide sufficent bleed air.Still this is not a common practice as monitoring 4 engine starts on the 744 (even with autostart) is quite the task.Couple of years back a TG crew received a new 744 at PAE and started all 4 at the same time (one of the specific aircraft acceptance tests). Only problem was the guys had trained in a 744 simulator with Autostart but their 744s came without it (bean counters choice). Well turns out 4 hot starts and 4 new GE CF6'sLeo :(

You guys sure the 744 APU can start all 4 at once? To the best of my knowledge, a 744 of average age will start 2 at once on a reasonable day. I'd imagine it would have to be a VERY cold day to have 4 good lightups (without approaching the EGT start limits).I always thought it odd that the MD allowed all 3 to be started at once, so I go one at a time. Can a RW pilot confirm this?Paul

Guest hangar744
Can a RW pilot confirm this?Paul
What you really need here is not a pilot, but a skilled MD-11 ground engineer or a mechanic. Pilots don't (at least not supposed to) do weird things, while we the maintainers only do "unusual" stuff. Sorry, I cannot give you an answer, since I do 744's only. Let's hope an MD-11 cowboy shows up soon.regards,delcom